Author Topic: Anyone had GK at Vanderbuilt in Nashville?  (Read 4269 times)

Kate62

Anyone had GK at Vanderbuilt in Nashville?
« on: September 27, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »
Hello,
I was diagnosed a few days ago with a 1.4 x 1.8 AN.  My ENT gave me a referral to Bill Wilkerson Hearing Center at Vanderbuilt in Nashville.  My appointment is next week.  After researching online, I cannot find anyone who has gone to Vanderbuilt for Gamma Knife.  Most people seem to be going to Dr. Lunsford in Pittsburgh or other doctors out-of-state. I am wondering about my insurance coverage. I gave my insurance company a quick call - it is CIGNA and was told very quickly that I had to get my treatment in Tennessee.  Am I the only one in this situation?   Thank you in advance!  Kate

sandyinwisconsin

Re: Anyone had GK at Vanderbuilt in Nashville?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 11:15:21 am »
Kate,

Here is a website I found for Vanderbilt Skull Base Center. 
They even have a nice video.

I was in the same boat as you. My insurance wouldn't pay for anything out of
Wisconsin.  But in the end, I found one great radiation doctor in Madison, WI.
I had radiation 9 months ago, and I'm fine. 

http://old.vanderbilthealth.com/skullbasesurgery/healthtopics?topic=Acoustic_Neuroma

Here is the website under Vanderbilt Skull Base Center.  If the like doesn't work,
just search the web for Vanderbilt Skull Base Center Acoustic Neuroma.

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

Kate62

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 12:56:16 pm »
Sandy,
Thank you for your reply.  I will start researching docs at Vanderbilt. This sort of feels like we are at the mercy of our insurance company?  Not a great feeling.  There are so many people going to House Clinic or Pittsburgh.  Are those people paying out of pocket or just have better insurance?  You know, I always thought I had "good insurance"  LOL.  I guess you don't really know until something serious happens.  Thanks a bunch for your reply!  Kate

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 03:21:21 pm »
Hi Kate .....

One does not have to go out of state for good care, but it is important that your doctors have extensive experience in treating acoustic neuromas.  That being said, many times medical facilities, such as House or USC or Stanford or UPMC will work with your insurance company to get approval even when it is out-of-network ..... based on the fact that acoustic neuromas are so rare and fewer doctors are experienced in the treatment of them.

Do not give up in getting the best care you feel is right for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kate62

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:08:53 pm »
Clarice,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am still going to try and push through the insurance red tape and see what happens.  I have nothing to lose by trying.  I believe I will send out my MRI and reports to a couple of places out of state and see what they can do for me.  Clarice, thanks for your encouragement!
Kate

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:25:49 pm »
Kate,

From what I understand, Vanderbilt is one of the top facilities in the United States for acoustic neuromas.
I've been hearing about people going to Nashville ever since I was diagnosed.

You can also search the word Vanderbilt in the search bar under the ANA Discussion Forum.
I believe Blue Cross Blue Shield is a popular insurance company which allows people to go where they want.
My insurance put up a huge fight. I even fought them nationally and I lost. 

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

Kate62

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »

Sandy,
Good for you for at least putting up a good fight with your insurance company!  Guess I will have to wait and see how it goes for me.  Geez, it is just one more thing to worry about after you get past the initial shock of the diagnosis.  I will keep you posted.   Take Care, Kate