Author Topic: Tinnutis 4 months post surgery  (Read 3060 times)

kkl

Tinnutis 4 months post surgery
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:56:19 am »
Hi,

My 4 cm tumor was debulked 4 months ago.  I was told 10% remains due to its closeness to the brain stem.  I am still recovering but improving....facial weakness is almost 90% back, balance is better although still get dizzy when I move too quickly, etc.  Had some weird sounds few days after surgery but not much problem for hearing, except for SSD on AN side.  But these two days, I suddenly realize I have this constant ringing....like what people call tinnutis and I can't even tell which side is it.  I think it's on the good side coz am already deaf on the AN side.  What bothers me is this happens like 4 months post surgery.  Anyone experience this?  Like happening suddenly?  Coz I read that tinnutis doesn't necessarily improve after surgery  but I don't have it before my surgery so am a bit baffled why now?  Is it due to fatigue or caffeine (I drank coffee these few days while I stayed away from it after surgery)or  something else?  Any suggestion?

Konnie

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Tinnutis 4 months post surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:55:04 am »
Discover magazine had a recent article on tinnitus. It is your brain creating the noise, and you hear it in your bain, not in your ears. I am SSD, and I hear it in both ears (brain). There is a feedback system between your brain and your ears, and that system has now degraded, and your brain is now misfiring, and creating noise...according to the article. Researchers believe there are several feedback systems in the brain. They are not all connected to your ears, and you could have all types of misfirings going on all the time. It is a very complex issue and is being studied...sort of like getting a virus in your computer.

stevecms

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »
hi i didnt have it pre op but have got it now just in the an side.it came on after a couple of mths and have still got it.it can be worse if you are tired but it is up and down.i get it bad if i nap but we are all different.it will get better steve :)
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:39 pm »
Hi KKL;

While I usually associate most cases of tinnitus with hearing loss, being just 4 mos. post op, the brain is still probably pretty traumatized over the entire ordeal and there may be edema yet.
  Tinnitus can do what it wants when it wants. Theory is the brain is searching for a good auditory signal from the periphery ( the ear ), and is not getting it so searches for the ear itself. Somewhat akin to "Phantom Limb Syndrome".
  I had no tinnitus for several years after translab, however. Of course, that particular op is a complete hearing loss.
  As I'm NF-2, the other side has tinnitus also and my head is a veritable orchestra of steady, high pitched noise mixed with fluctuating tones which come and go and increase, then decrease in intensity.
  I enjoy the crickets the most. It's like being on a camping trip in my own bed.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:02:17 pm »
Tinnitus can be so random - seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some have it and some don't.

I didn't have it pre op and I don't have it post op either; thankfully.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

koch

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:10 pm »
I've been having moderate tinnutis all the time after being gamma knived 7 mos ago.  But it is really strong when I get aerobic exercise--particularly climbing steep hills on my bicycle.  Does anybody else have this symptom?

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:24:25 pm »
I had retrosimoid surgery in August. Prior to surgery I had tinnutis so bad it accually hurt. Following surgery i still had tinniutis and have also developed a buzzing as well. I have gotten use the noises in my head and it doesn't really bother me.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11