Author Topic: Any ladies out there get pregnant after GK??  (Read 2329 times)

calimama

Any ladies out there get pregnant after GK??
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:53:11 pm »
I am just trying to work out if there any risks of getting pregant after undergoing GK??

I have heard of one story where a lady got pregs 2 years after GK. The tumor seemed to come to life again around the same time and she ended up needing surgery. YIKES!!?!

I would be interested in any experience of getting pregnant after GK and whether there were any issues with tumor regrowth.

thanks one and all...
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Any ladies out there get pregnant after GK??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 09:05:29 am »
I can't speak directly to your question, but for many of us it seems that the extra hormones of pregnancy can make an existing tumor grow much faster than "normal".  That was certainly the case for me, and there's lots of evidence supporting that.  So I could see how that could be a concern if there's a chance the tumor isn't completely dead post-GK.  This is an important question to ask the doctors as you go through the decision-making process.

In the end, I chose surgery over radiation for a large number of reasons - one of which was the concern about growth if I got pregnant again, since we already knew my AN grew faster than normal when I was pregnant with my second (that was pre-treatment).

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Any ladies out there get pregnant after GK??
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:25:50 pm »
What about hormones and menopause?
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games