Author Topic: MRI in a year?  (Read 3681 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
MRI in a year?
« on: July 11, 2009, 05:25:07 pm »
My neurosurgeon said that because my last two MRIs since surgery are stable (tiny residual left behind) I only need yearly MRIs , is this okay? Should I insist on going every six months?
Michelle :o
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

sgerrard

Re: MRI in a year?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:01:03 am »
I think doctors must have a pretty wide range of opinions on this subject. I have seen all sorts of answers from different ones.

My ENT/neurotologist takes the view that you don't really need an MRI that often. If the response to anything that showed up would be "let's wait another six months and do another one," then you might as well just wait a year in the first place. The time to do them more often is when there are signs of something happening, such as growth, that needs to be monitored more closely. Even though I am a radiation patient, I am already waiting 18 months from the last MRI to do another one. At that time I will have had them at 6, 18, and 36 months.

So, I think you are safe to wait a year. I believe that your tiny residual is never going to do anything.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:09:51 am »
After surgery I saw my  ENT first. He booked one for six months....Then I saw my Neurosurgeon and he said a yr. I had to inform him that ENT booked one for six months...then I guess we'll go from there...if no growth with the residual tumor, I'm guessing a yr...
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:36:27 am »
Michelle -

All docs seem to have their own recommendations.

My neurotologist had me do my first MRI @ one year post op and I just had my second one @ two years post op.  I know I'll have them annually for a period of time, but I can't recall what that period of time is.  I don't think it's for the rest of my life, though I could be wrong about that.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:51:37 am »
I had an MRI one year following my surgery and sent the CD to House Clinic (where I'd had my translab procedure done) -- my doctor wrote back that I wouldn't need to have another follow-up MRI until 2013 (five years after my AN surgery).

At the time of my surgery the doctors were quite confident that they had removed the entire tumor, so I'm assuming that was factored into the determination that more frequent MRIs were not needed.

I should add that I feel quite comfortable with that decision, though I don't find the MRI procedure to be uncomfortable.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:03:16 pm »
Thanks Gang!!!
Honestly this is the best place when you are questioning things. Everyone helps each other sees things from all angles and I am so appreciative.
Yes Steve you are right my tiny  residual is never going to be an issue! My new hat protects me!
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 02:46:46 pm »
I had an MRI one year following my surgery and sent the CD to House Clinic (where I'd had my translab procedure done) -- my doctor wrote back that I wouldn't need to have another follow-up MRI until 2013 (five years after my AN surgery).

Don't know if I could go from 1st year MRI all the way to year 5 without one.  I'm too much of a worrier  :P

I do have to say though that my anxiety in year 2 was much, much less than it was in year 1 - and I did kind of like the tube of gloom this time around.  Noisy, but a nice rhythm to the noise - strangely soothing ;)

Although my docs are confident they got 100% of my tumor also, I know that chances of regrowth are still 1-2% and being the kind of patient who likes to have my hand held, the annual MRI works just fine for me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 02:59:38 pm »
Michelle~
I seemed to get a few the 1st year and then yearly after that for 5 years.  I guess the the theory was that after 5 years I would not ever really need one again.  No matter how strong your faith is, it seems that after a few years (usually about 5) and an increase again in headaches (which are always easily explained and rationalized AFTER a clear MRI), I get another one - just to make sure!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 09:56:23 am »
in the uk if it is clear after 2 years , you go onto 2 yearly scans, then 5 yearly scans, but i think i will be paying for extra in between.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06