Author Topic: Nausea  (Read 6202 times)

Catflower

Nausea
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:39:33 am »
Well, my surgery date is fast approaching (April 17).  My daughter works in the hospital where my surgery will be done.  One of the neuro-surgery nurses told her that I would probably be extremely nauseous following surgery and kind of "out of my mind."  (At this point being out of my mind is kind of normal  :D )

What kind of immediate problems did you folks experience?

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Nausea
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 05:06:52 pm »
I, like many, puked a bit in ICU.  Scared the heck out of me, but all was well.  Just try to not do anything to create ICP (Intra-cranial pressure) for awhile.  The anesthesia makes you nauseated, and the feeling didn't last too terribly long.  By the time I was moved to my regular room, I was hungry and begging them for something other than ice, broth, and jello. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 05:38:12 pm »
Hi Cat:  I also had severe vomiting 1st immediately post op (yes, the anesthesia is brutal; when I had the gold weight put in I told the anesthesiologist about this,
           & he said he would give me medicine during the surgery to prevent that again - & it did !).
           My 2nd bout of severe vomiting was my 1st day home - came home Friday afternoon, & when I woke up Saturday morning, from 7am until around 11pm I
           had severe, gut wrenching vomiting & severe unrelenting headache - I was scared to death !!!! - had my friend (a neurologist) not been with me I would have called
           I could not eat, drink,  just laid in bed - if I moved I vomited, headaches that were unbelievable.   It finally stopped that night, & my friend told me how to
           proceed with the Decadron as I couldn't hold anything down that Saturday.
           I had no appetite the whole time I was hospitalized - lost 15 lbs in 5 days. (I continued with headaches for about 2-3 weeks, but never as severe - I took
           extra strength Tylenol round the clock because opiates make me sick as a dog too !!!).
          (I hope no one's eating while reading this !).
          I wish you all the best my friend (maybe ask the anesthesiologist to give you something to help prevent vomiting !!)
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:31:51 pm »
I was the queen of my generation  ;D for vomiting with my pregnancies.  I needed shots to stop the spasms. 

I was really apprehensive about any nausea or vomiting I might experience post op.  My surgery lasted 9 hours.  I brought up clear cool water once when I took the first sip in ICU..My husband said I went back to sleep and sat up several hours later steady enough to get sent to a regular room.  So, I had only one brief episode of nausea, no headaches.  No illlness after the 2½ hour ride home in the car either.  I really didn't feel hungry at the hospital until the last morning before discharge.  My stomach felt like it was asleep.  However, I managed to perform well enough to get the potty nurse's approval by day 4.

Out of my mind? well probably, but let 'er rip!  They will just take care of you, besides you'll be in the bed safe.  After this event, who doesn't feel a little crazed?

I was cautious to sleep with my head at a slight angle for the first week at home.  The doctor had warned me about avoiding intra cranial pressure, sneezing with my mouth wide open, not holding back, and staying on the stool softeners for the first week to "keep things going downward"  ;D.

There are anti nausea drugs they can use at the hospital. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:36:33 pm by Boppie »

Obita

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:18:58 am »
Hi Catflower:

Shortly after I got to ICU my nurse asked if I was nauseous.  I said no, I feel good.  60 seconds later I said "now I am".  She had the shot ready, I puked in the dish, she gave me the shot and that was it.  I never felt that way again.  Like gennysmom, I was begging for real food the next day. 

The first time I stood up post op, I felt very wierd but not nauseous.  That wierd feeling was much better the second time I stood up.  Once I had the green light to walk, they couldn't keep me down.  The more they see you walk, the faster you can go home.  I walked to the parking ramp to go home on the morning of day 3.

Good luck to you!!  Kathy

ps:  I was wide awake in the recovery room and could even give them my brother's cell phone # - I stuck my tongue out at my sister when she started to answer for me!!
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:26:21 am »
Hi Catflower

I too experienced nausea right out of surgery and threw up once while in the ICU.  As I was dry heaving a clever nurse put alcohol soaked rag under my nose and WHALAH!  Took away my nausea in an instant!  I used this technique while at home for those strange moments of unexplained nausea.  I highly recommend an alcohol soaked cotton pad under the nose for a few good wiffs to combat nausea. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:08:16 pm »
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.  It really helps with the anxiety.

lxg57

• "it's always Happy Hour in my head!"
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:39:23 pm »
Hi, Catflower-  I had a pretty rocky  time post op, but some of that was due to losing my eighth cranial nerve (I love that surgeon term of "sacrificed").  In spite of antinausea drugs, etc, I threw up after surgery and for the next three days, unfortunately.  It didn't do wonders to make my head more comfortable either.  My vertigo and nausea were pretty awful and were even triggered by looking out my hospital window and watching the snow!

The good news is that my surgeons and OT/PT people in the hospital were very helpful about giving advice on ways to get my vestibular system working to make up for the lost right nerve.  There are plenty of great drugs and ways to move differently to help if you do experience nausea and/or vomiting so don't hesitate to ask for help!  (By the way, I had two pretty queasy pregnancies and never was any good on spinning rides like the Tilt-A-Whirl even before surgery so I really wasn't too surprised.)  My hope is that you have a more stable stomach going in, get to keep ALL of the cranial nerves God gave you AND that you'll breeze right through surgery!  Good luck!

Linda
Linda

2.3 cm right sided AN,  removed by retro sigmoid apporach by Kevin Walter and John Wayman at URMC(Strong Hospital) on 2/21/07.  8th cranial nerve lost, Right single sided deafness.

cookiesecond

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:04:52 pm »
Nausea! Nausea! Nausea!
At the hospital I survived on chicken soup and popcicles. I came home on day six and continued to be nauseous. I was given phenergan for nausea along with my pain meds.
At 19 months post op I still battle nausea and dizziness at times but not nearly as bad as at first.
I was very alert after surgery.The doctor had warned my family that I may not even know them until the next day. My surgery was around 8 hours. My estimated time was 5 hours but the tumor was sticky. In recovery I saw my husband first then I asked to see my parents and next my girls. I immediately asked for my glasses. I usually wear contacts so I felt lost without them. I asked all kinds of questions!
I was told my stay would be 1 week but I did get to go home a day early. As soon as I could, I made sure they saw me walking (that does help you get home faster).I walked back and forth by the nurses station.
Having a good support system lined up is the best thing you can do for yourself.
I'm sure you have read the lists for getting ready but I found a microwaveable heat wrap to be awesome for any neck or back pain !A shower chair and a hand held shower head worked great too. Other than that I just stocked up on soups and easy to fix things.

I am keeping you in my prayers. I pray for a great outcome and speedy recovery! Keep us posted.
Lynn

Arushi  I am going to definitely try the alcohol swab

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 06:14:19 am »
I think this is another case where everyone's experience is different.  I never had any nausea in the hospital (I don't think I was on tha anti-nausea drugs once I was out of recovery).  I did throw up once a few days after I got home, but that was related to the constipation and the remedies for that.  Fainting however - that I had problems with in the hospital.  I never actually passed out, but came close a few times.  That lasted until I was about two weeks post-op.

It's hard to predict how your body will react, but certainly understand the desire to know all the possibilities. 

If you're interested in reading the whole story of my immediate recovery, you're welcome to go through my CarePages postings.  Go to http://www.carepages.com/ and then go to KatieANSurgery.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:27 pm »
Hi, Catflower:

As Katie mentioned, everyone has a different experience, post-op.  I suppose the nurse was simply trying to prepare you but I don't think she helped you all that much by increasing your pre-op anxiety.  She could also be wrong.

I had no appetite and just a little nausea post-op, while in the ICU, but I never vomited.  It eventually passed by about the 3rd day after my surgery.  I was discharged on the morning of my fifth day, post-op.  My appetite quickly returned and I was fine, once at home and exposed to a 'regular' diet, albeit a fairly bland one, until I trusted my digestive system to tolerate 'real' food, like meat and potatoes.  :)

You may have post-op nausea but then again, you may not - or, it could be very mild.  At least you're prepared if you do and if you don't, won't that be great?  :) 

Best wishes for a successful surgery and nausea-free post-operative recovery period.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:59:08 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

linnilue

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 07:46:56 pm »
Hi Cat,  Well, I'm very interested in what everyone has said and actually I never heard of the alcohol swab idea but I am going to try it.  I have had nausea intermittently for 2 1/2 years.  Sometimes much worse than others.  In fact, nausea was my cardinal symptom of the AN along with vertigo.  I too lost alot of weight, 60+ lbs.  I was skin and bone, I had no appetite.    But what helped me the most were two things, nausea arm bands(sold in the drug store for seasickness) they work wonders and when it's really bad, valium 2mg.  I had linac radiosurgery just to tell you that I have no expeience with the microsurgery symptomotology.  I wish you well. 
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

littlemissrory

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 11:21:13 pm »
Hi Catflower,

Katie's right on this...everyone is different.  My symptoms that led to my diagnosis were dizziness, nausea and vomiting, so having these post surgery were no surprise.  I managed brilliantly- vomiting well for awhile...oh well.  I'd say I was sick for a couple weeks, the only thing was keeping my liitle pink bucket with me at all times.  I felt much better as I came off the medicines.  I ate jello, ice cream and soup...lots of soup.  Fresh air, ginger tea, SeaBands and always keeping my head elevated helped.  I was so jealous of the guy who had his surgery just before me- he was up eating and walking while I was laying and sipping liquids.  We're all different. 

The "out of your head"- I don't know about that.  I had the feeling of my head packed with concrete.  It was heavy and hearing was difficult but it didn't hurt.  It actually afforded a lot of peace once I got used to it- like being in my own world.  Since then I've been one of the fortunate ones who's hearing was saved and it improved over the next few weeks.

Our symptoms are all different as are our recoveries, but just go at it with a positive attitude...that is your best approach.  Don't let the nurses stress you out, they're well meaning to try and prepare you for something that they have no personal experience with.  Vomiting really isn't all that bad, and they have lot's of meds to counteract it. 

Best of luck to you, we'll all be thinking of you.  Please don't hesitate to ask more questions as they arise- around here someone has experience with it!

Cheers,
Rory

Stevey

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 10:48:25 am »
I like what Jim Said, Lots will happen all will pass and yu will be fine, I threw up begged fr ice chips and threw up again, had double vision and nightmarish visions that atavan got rid of, remember the squeaky wheel gets the god meds or something like that, c ommunicate with the health care pros and they will help you out, I am 8 weeks post op and had hydrocephalus, a blood clot, and a bad cerebellum bruise, need no meds now and feel blessed, could do without tinnitus and SSD, but am happy!

Good luck and get all your questions answered,

Steve
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD