Author Topic: Questions for baha consult  (Read 2840 times)

jb11258

Questions for baha consult
« on: July 27, 2009, 05:05:32 pm »
Hi, not sure if i am repeating myself, but anyway, i go for consult for baha tomorrow. any certain questions i should ask? Do drs. do different type of incisions? also wondering how many people can tell where sounds come from since getting baha. i am totally deaf on 1 side and have problems with that issue. i am confused cause i thought the baha would help that and from what i have read it doesnt.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Questions for baha consult
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:22:01 pm »
Judy -

as far as I know, BAHA incisions are BAHA incisions - not much choice.  I do know that sometimes docs place the titanium rod a little differently - for example, I remember Lori (lori67) saying that her placement is a little higher or lower than mine (I forget which).  But it's relatively in the same area. 

I answered your directionality question on your other BAHA consultation thread.  However, I have to add here that as far as I know no hearing aid - conventional or otherwise - will give you 100% directionality.   A hearing aid is not like "normal" hearing - but IMO the BAHA is the next best thing.

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:40:28 pm »
Judy,

I have to agree with Jan on all counts.  Incisions are essentially the same for everyone, some may be a little higher or lower because of previous surgery and anatomical issues. Sadly, BAHA really doesn't help much with directionality although it is some help.  HAHA is still definitely worthwhile in my opinion.  Being SSD was something I just couldn't and did want to get used to.  As for directionality, I hope eventually, Cochlear or some other company will eventually come up with a solution to that problem.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

grega

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:08:51 am »
Hi J, J & W,

Seems to me that lack of directionality caused by SSD will only be solved when medical science is able to restore hearing in the deaf side.  I hope we see that in our lifetime ...... but thinking of all the amazing breakthroughs (medical and non) in the last century, I'm optimistic that it'll happen.

Jan ..... did they make your baha incision with that Black & Decker drill ??????  :o

Baha - haha's always welcome here!  ;D

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

jlamborn

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:44:08 pm »
I can't add anything to the directionality comments, but I must add that the BAHA does add a 'depth".  I'm SSD completely on the right side, and the left side was damaged a few years ago in a car accident and needs a hearing aid.  I start out in layers in the morning and notice the increase in sound with each thing I put on.  First add the hearing aid, which is dramatic.  Then I add the BAHA, and there is a noticeable difference in what sound is being picked up and how it sounds.  It will never be as loud as what the normal hearing was, but I miss it when the BAHA isn't there.  It's almost like comparing mono to stereo; there's just extra sound, not necessarily a lot louder.
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 06:48:34 am »

Jan ..... did they make your baha incision with that Black & Decker drill ??????  :o

Greg -

don't know a whole lot about the drill - although I was wide awake for the surgery, I wasn't loco enough to ask my doc to actually show it to me!  YIKES!!!  :o

I do know that it has a diamond tip (nothing by the best to make a hole in MY skull  ;) ) and that it is very costly.

The hospital where I had my implant surgery isn't the hospital where my doc normally does BAHAs - so they had to actually get a loaner from Cochlear (yes, I AM special)  :D  The hospital were he normally does BAHAs rents one for him and it stays there.  My doc and I had a few laughs on surgery day about the fact that Cochlear won't let him have his own drill to just keep in his toolbox.  He does however, have his own screw driver in case one of my screws comes loose (okay, no comments from you, Lori)  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways