Author Topic: Treatment Completed  (Read 2850 times)

Mark_UK_73

Treatment Completed
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:38:57 am »
I had my GN treatment on Monday 29th March, and would like to tell those of you out there considering GK that the treatment itself is absolutely nothing to worry about.  I was taken down for frame fitting at 8:00 and was finished treatment and eating lunch by 11:45.  I felt a bit tired for the first week after treatment and had some slight dizzyness, but nothing a good afternoon nap couldn't sort.  My pin holes from the frame are now also almost gone.

I have been told I don't have to have a scan for a year as any time less than that would not show any real difference in size and nature of the tumour.  I know there is always the possibility that the GN won't have worked, but with a success rate of 97% I felt it was a risk worth taking.

Anybody who would like greater detail on what the procedure was like or would like to ask any specific questions, please feel free to send me a message.

Mark

sunfish

Re: Treatment Completed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:57:42 am »
Congratulations on getting through treatment!  I had Cyberknife treatment three weeks ago, with a rocky initial recovery, but currently no lasting side effects.  It's great to be putting this problem behind us, isn't it?
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:06:05 pm »
Congratulations Mark - and thanks for the encouraging description of your GK experience.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:48:58 pm »
Congrats to you!  So happy the radiation went well  :D
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

nanramone

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:21 pm »
Mark, this is encouraging to people like me, because I am waiting a call from doctors in Pittsburgh and hope they suggest radiation as the best thing for me. The first surgeon I saw thinks I'm a good candidate for that. I was initially very afraid of the idea of radiation, but have changed my mind after much reading.

As usual, I am very grateful for everyone's input here, and will return to post more as I make my decision.

take care...

Nancy

joebloggs

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:54:41 pm »
That's great Mark, well done!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

GRACE1

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:23:48 am »
Wonderful news on your procedure.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 08:33:34 am »
Great news!

Can't argue with a 97% success rate!

Glad you're doing well!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:41:17 pm »
Mark! Congrats on officially being a "toastie Postie". Please keep us updated how you do post-treatment (isn't it lovely to say that?) and sending wellness wishes your way!

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"