Author Topic: new with questions...  (Read 2251 times)

naturalmom

new with questions...
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:10:55 am »
Hi everyone my name is Sharon. My lil sister is in hospital with AN. They cant do a biopsy because of where it is located. Can anyone give me any insite to what other treatments are available if any...
Thank You in advance

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: new with questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:48:15 am »
Hi Sharon:  AN's are usually ?/ always? benign.  There are 3 approaches:  'watch & wait' if it is small, radiation, or surgery.   
Surgeons usually don't biopsy these, but remove through surgery or radiation.  Do you know the size of the AN?   Keep reading through this site, you'll find alot of needed info.   Best wishes to you & your sister,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 02:51:54 pm »
nancy's got it right, they NEVER do a biopsy for AN's....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:50:56 pm »
Hi Sharon, welcome. Can you tell us more? What size, location etc. Be encouraged though, many of us are on the other side of the AN drama, and are back to (almost) normal. Hang in there, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:29:40 pm »
Hi, Sharon:

I'm assuming that your sister has already been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma ('AN' in our vernacular) and, if so,she has lots of options.  As all the previous posters have correctly stated, this Schwann cell tumor is NOT cancerous and, to my knowledge, does not require a biopsy, although I'm not a physician and cannot make that statement with any kind of medical certainty, only my personal experience and the information I've gleaned from other AN patients posting on this forum.  Are you positive she has been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma tumor?  The mention of biopsy is a bit confusing, for the reason I stated, above.  Usually, an MRI scan 'discovers' the AN tumor and the doctors go from that to surgery and/or radiation, not a biopsy. 

As the information available on this website will tell you, there are basically 2 options to deal with an acoustic neuroma tumor.  Microsurgery and/or radiation.  Some AN patients have both.  I'm one of those.  Radiation is generally restricted to tumors smaller than 3 cm but only a physician (radiologist) can make that determination for a patient.  Radiation is non-invasive and requires little more than an overnight hospital stay, if that.  However, that treatment, while preferred by many, has it's own risks.  Microsurgery is a delicate operation that can last from 7 to 16 hours and requires the surgeon cutting through the skull and very carefully removing the tumor, which is sometimes wrapped around vital nerves that control facial movement and sensation, among other things.  There are 3 distinct approaches to AN surgery and they are outlined on other sections of this site.  Please read them.  Microsurgery procedures require a very experienced neurosurgeon, preferably with many hundreds of these surgeries on his or her resume.  This surgery is usually successful if performed by an AN 'pro'.  Mine was.  Surgery usually requires  a 4 to 5 day hospital stay (at least one day in ICU) and does have it's risks, including CSF leaks and sometimes unexpected facial paralysis and other unwanted  complications.  Recovery (at home) takes a few weeks for most...more or less.  In the final analysis the AN patient has to become informed (that's why we're here) and, of course, consider all aspects of either procedure; surgery or radiation.  It's a very individual decision, unless, as in my case, the tumor is way too big for radiation.  Then, surgery is usually the only option. 

If your sister does have an acoustic neuroma tumor, we understand the trauma that causes both patient and family.  We've all been there, one way or another.  We're here for you both.  Your sister will be O.K.  This isn't fatal, just difficult.  Please give us more information and an update, when possible.  Stay strong for your sis.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.