Author Topic: think positive  (Read 2895 times)

brasher

think positive
« on: May 02, 2007, 12:55:45 am »
hello all,
i truly hope everyone out there is doing well.   

i got depressed the other week as i was thinking about all of the things i couldn't do anymore.........hit a homerun, sail across an ocean, hike up a mountain....!!!!.....
6.5cm AN;   1/23/07
translab prceedure; house ear clinic; Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz
facial nerve severed with complete removal of tumor.
gold eye weight;2/21/07-Dr Roberts
12-7 nerve anastomosis; 3/1/07, Dr Slattery
happy to be here; recovering well

brasher

Re: think positive
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:56:40 am »
hello all,
i truly hope everyone out there is doing well.   

i got depressed the other week as i was thinking about all of the things i couldn't do anymore.........hit a homerun, sail across an ocean, hike up a mountain....!!!!.....
6.5cm AN;   1/23/07

er

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 12:58:49 am »
For myself,
I do the same

brasher

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 01:29:45 am »
so then i started thinking about everything i could do,, with my new life and second chance...

who cares that my face is paralyzed...my friends and family don't....and i guess i don't anymore either..we are more concerned with how i feel, ...not how i look!

think of me as a one year old with thirty five years of knowledge and perspective............. i cant wait until i am 2 or 3,..who knows what will be possible then!!

if you really think about it, we probably dont have to look very far to find others whom have it worse off than us.

sincerely, and God bless

tony
6.5cm AN;   1/23/07

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 07:01:06 am »
Tony,

I too have given thought to what I could not do post surgery vs what I could pre surgery.  Is it as exciting as crossing oceans, hike up mountains, hit home runs?  Maybe, if you allow it your new life can be just as exciting.  Same as you allowed yourself to cross an ocean, hike up a mountain and hit a home run.  These were the perceptions of excitement to you then.  What is your perception of excitement now post surgery not pre surgery, but post?  Our perceptions of our life depend on our ability to accept ourselves now.  Like sailing, you do not want to stall in the water nor do you want to lose ground, but always move forward.  It's the challenge that keeps us interested and searching!  May you be peaceful, happy and healthy!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 01:49:24 pm »
I, too, spend a lot of time thinking about what I can't do any more, and what's even worse is that I see other AN patients who go back to doing them and I get really envious. I'm one of the few posties left with relentless headaches, which, although they are much better than they were, still really limit my activity. The headaches have limited my ability to regain alot of balance funtion.  I'm left with the "new normal" me and I sometimes have a very rough time with her!
Like I really want to go to the Symposium, but my hubby will probably be working out of town and the idea of travelling without my caregiver is a little overwhelming considering the airport is a 3 hr drive and I don't do well on freeways.

But I'm sitting here typing in front of the gorgeous painting that I have been chipping away at, working about 3 hours a day is all I can do right now--and it's almost finished and it's already sold for $7000, so I guess my life isn't actually the hell that I sometimes think it is after all. I'm very fortunate to have something to do which is really fulfilling and that is truly a blessing. I'm really thankful to have a place to voice these feelings, and other people who will listen (or read.)

And I try to convince myself that my sailing days are not over, just different!

Be Well, Everyone

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

er

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 03:26:55 pm »
Captain Deb

Wow!!!! You are blessed!!!!!! As I mentioned awhile back I am also an artist but I've not been able to touch a brush since surgery. But I am counting on hitting the brushes when I make my move to Texas. I will e-mail you later about my SSD
eve

jacobs

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 07:42:03 pm »

Brasher,I think it's totally "normal" to have feelings like this.Your surgery is still very fresh and you are still healing mentally and physically. I remember not feeling like myself for months and months after my surgery.I went back to work and functioned but still felt kind of foggy for ages.The fact that you are able to focus on the positive seems that you are doing just fine on your road of recovery.
 Keep up the positive thoughts,it does get easier...
Tracey

Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?