Author Topic: Another MRI!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5353 times)

johnsli

Re: Another MRI!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 11:51:28 am »
I absolutely hate needles, I break out in a sweat and get heart palpitations knowing that a needle is coming.  My MRI was closed and I felt like silence of the lambs when they closed the goalie mask across my face.  I just closed my eyes and prayed and sang songs in my head.  I never in my wildest dreams thought they would find anything, but, lo and behold.  So I guess I better get used to the needles and the MRI's for a while.  I go to the second surgeon on the 15th of May, and then back to the first surgeon, and then they will schedule surgery.  Thank God for all of you guys.  I hope this forum makes everyone feel as good as I feel.

Laura

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 01:03:40 pm »
I realize that a lot of folks have difficulty with the MRI machines; the claustrophobia issues, the noise, the needle for the dye, etc.  Fortunately, I don't suffer those problems.  I think I may have fallen asleep during my last MRI.  Taking a prescription tranquilizer before the test should help those who need it.  Adopting the attitude that this 'ordeal' isn't really optional and knowing that you won't suffocate while in the machine might help, too, depending on your ability to psych yourself a bit in order to do what you know needs to be done.  At least the MRI - which we need to have - doesn't do us any real harm, unlike X-rays.

I underwent extensive (and uncomfortable) dental work some years ago.  To get through it, I used to tell myself that not only was this necessary and ultimately beneficial to me (and no one else) but that it was only an hour out of my life. I did this one appointment at a time.  I would think about what I was going to do that evening and generally let my mind 'detach' from the reality of the dental chair and the procedures I was undergoing.  It worked well so I do the same thing now, when I undergo an MRI scan.  Being deaf in one ear makes the noise bearable (I use the earplug, anyway) and I don't develop claustrophobia.  I don't like the needle but I can't really see it (and don't want to) and it's only a momentary pinch. 

If we're serious about protecting our well-being, individually, we'll have to figure out the best way to get through these scans because they are both necessary and, unfortunately, will remain a constant - usually annually - in our post-AN lives.  Avoiding them out of fear is self-defeating.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 04:36:52 pm »
Okay, after reading and rereading all of your posts, I made an appointment with a new neurosurgeon.  I dropped off all of my films and discs (I got up to speed finally!) and will see him before my next MRI.  He uses the open MRI so I can do that.  I will let you know how it goes!!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT