Author Topic: Another MRI!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5356 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Another MRI!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 20, 2007, 05:24:52 am »
I feel like I am glowing in the dark!  My surgery was 7/2/05.  I had my six month MRI, then my one year MRI, now the neurosurgeon wants to do another one on Monday!  I also had a zillion of them in September when I was hospitalized!  Has anyone had so many or at least felt like they have had too many?  Is this over kill???
Yikes!!!!!!!!!
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

chelsmom

Re: Another MRI!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:12:14 am »
Hi Brenda,

I'm not sure what is the norm here but I think it's better to be safe than sorry.  My daughter, Chelsea, has had 6 MRI's in the last 9 months and will be having the 7th one next Wed. followed by another one in June.  She has been quite a challenge to her doctors and they want to keep close tabs on her.  I'm hoping that after the June MRI she'll only have to do these every 6 months then once a year.  She has an AV shunt and each time she has an MRI she has to have it checked for reprograming.  The MRI's cause her to have horrible head pain.  She says it feels like the shunt is being pulled out of her head.  She has to take a couple Vicodin to help ease the pain afterwards.  But, like I said, better safe than sorry.
Michelle

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:24:22 am »
hello my Pug-sistah-in-crime! :)

I have had too many MRI's in the past year.  it's to the point that I now sleep through them. I have had to had head MRI's due to other issues (as well as my CK treatment follow ups), as well as pancreatic/liver AND thorasic spine.  I glow beyond imagination and it's to the point now that I laugh with the MRI tech that our spouses are going to start talking about us meeting so frequently.

Hang in there. I'd rather you have too many instead of not enough so you can stay on top of your AN journey.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:25:28 am »
I've only had 1 MRI post op, the day after surgery.    I was told next MRI 1 year post op, that will be this July.  Can't wait.......
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:26:21 am »
I'll be having my sixth MRI scan within a year on April 30th.  The first one was last May, when my AN was discovered.  The second was taken pre-surgery, in June, to make sure the surgeon had the 'freshest' look at what he would be dealing with.   I had another MRI post-surgery, so the surgeon could better see how much of the tumor remained and be certain it was now small enough to be effectively radiated.  The next MRI was taken in September and ordered by the radiation oncologist in order to more accurately 'map' my radiation treatment (FSR).  I had another MRI scan last December, intended to be used by my neurosurgeon as a 'baseline' for comparison over time.  I felt that all of them were done for good reason and I didn't object. 

My neurosurgeon has already told me he wants me to have bi-annual MRI scans for a few years, then annually, probably indefinitely.  They are not that difficult, just boring and will cost me a $500 co-payment each calender year.   I believe if you ask your doctor why he wants you to have another MRI, he should be able to tell you and that knowledge should make it easier to accept having yet another MRI.  Well, it works for me.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

marie

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:12:55 pm »
I haven't had several MRIs within a short time, but I have had them yearly since 1993 --and about four during the mid '80s.  That adds up to  about 18 MRIs.  I am a watch and waiter and expect to probably contiue this regimen indefinitely(?).  So far I'm not glowing in the dark, don't have two heads,etc.
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:40:50 am »
I had one pre-op, one immediately post-op and another at 1 year post-op. The doc wanted one at 2 years post-op but I chose to wait. I honestly didn't want to know anything last year. The docs said they got it all and I believe them. I go for my 3 yr on Monday. Let's hope that this one is clean, just like I'm expecting.

My doc wants them yearly I think for who knows how long. He is very over-cautious. He just likes to see me I think. :)  He schedules lots of appts as well. For example, my appt is on Tuesday. If I wasn't planning ahead, he would have seen me, written the orders for the MRI and then had me come back after. That's two appts at $25 each plus the MRI.  Instead I called his secretary, got my orders, will have the MRI on Mon and take him the results on Tuesday.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Brendalu

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 06:42:02 am »
I opted not to have this MRI.  I am claustraphobic and they really stress me out.  I decided having them as close together as I have been can't be good for me or my brain.  My neurosurgeon wouldn't allow me to have them done at the open stand up MRI place.  He says the resolution isn't good enough.  I spoke with several MRI techs who have worked at the three major MRI places in my area and they said that the resolution is the same the euipment is made by the same company.  I think I am changing doctors!!  I also decided that I would rather put the money for my copay and deductibules for my landscaping or new furnitures.  I am going to enjoy life no matter how long or short and stop worrying about what the doctors want!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ceeceek

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 06:48:19 am »
As far as I have found, there are no or very limited side effects from MRI...it is not like getting constant Xrays...which by the way, are probably the cause of my happy little growth.....I was over exposed to Xray radiation as a child during routine dental exams...now wonder if that is the cause of my growth....I am now part of the study group....anyways,,,as a result...of this overexposure, before I even knew of my condition...my Sister suffers from around so far, 38 skin cancers that have been removed from same general area as where a dental Xray would partake...so naturally I am aware and have studied up on Xray use MRIs etc.....to the best of my knowledge, MRI works on a totally different basis.....I believe you can have as many as you want,....although the dye used in contrast....that needs to be limited, but you could probably tolerate up to ten times a year.....
Good luck and if I find out anything else...( I think I am now official researcher) I will let you know
Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

lora

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 09:16:32 am »
I am scheduled for my 4th within 5 weeks--3 preop and this will be my 4th (1st one post op--say a prayer)   Lora
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Pembo

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 12:41:12 pm »
Brendalu, I felt the same way last year when the doc wanted the 2 yr post op. I didn't want to spend the money on deductibles etc and I really didn't want to know if there was anything there. I just wanted to live my life.

I was supposed to have an MRI done last week (see my other post) and the emotions that came with the anxiety were awful. Since I had to reschedule for later this month I hope the emotions don't reschedule as well.

Enjoy life Brendalu........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Brendalu

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 06:27:55 pm »
Thanks for all of the input!!  It is appreciated.  Hey I had all those X-rays as a child too!  I've had seven contrast MRI's since last September.  I think that is more than enough for quite a while.  I look like a drug user, except I am far from skinny!!!  I need to let my arms heal and my head.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

OTO

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 09:35:08 pm »
MRI machines use magnetic imaging (not x-ray), so typically there is no side effects.  The dye used for contrast might be of concern (but I don't know).  Because of the magnetic forces, you have to tell them if you have any metal in your body, because it can be dislodged by the magnet.   I did a construction project, where we installed an MRI in a hospital (no metal screws or nails allowed).  Also I would believe the MRI techs when they talk about resolution of the machines.   The techs know more about the machines than the doctors.   Plus, there are many stand-alone imaging centers competing for the MRI business.  Here in Hawaii, one of the smaller hospitals is asking the State to stop licensing any more stand-alone imaging centers.  The hospitals lose too much revenue.   There was another thread about shopping around for the best price.

Brendalu

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 07:04:25 am »
OTO,
I tend to believe the techs too.  Thanks for your input.  I hate the noise and ear plugs don't help.  The banging is in my head for days after the tests are over!  Ah Hawaii, my favorite state nexxt to Texas.  Lived there for two wonderful years and go back often for vacations.
Brendalu.
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 09:13:56 am »
Brenda, my sista-in-Pug-crime.... I know MRI's are a pain in the petunia and such, but it's such a vital test for us.  I, personally, just keep in mind that it's just a test, but a necessary test and I can handle approx 1 hr of discomfort if the end result is going to help me.  I use to take Valium (2mg or 5mg) before MRI's that I use to have years ago on my back (and trust me, the MRI machines at that time were "closed" machines and my whole body was fully in the magnet).  Have you tried a relaxent to help?  I know the ear plugs and such try to help, but it's so essential to make sure MRI's are done for AN patients, to make sure we are on top of our AN game...

I'm sending you huggles in the hopes that you reconsider....... but, I also have faith in you to do what is best for you.  I love your zest for life and I commend it.

xoxoox
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"