Author Topic: New Ponto Pro firmware upgrades....  (Read 3496 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
New Ponto Pro firmware upgrades....
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:47:01 pm »
For all you Ponto-ites out there...last week I received a letter from my hearing doctor's office where I got my Ponto. I guess they were chosen by Ponto for a study and asked for people to participate. I requires a couple of office visits, the first one is where they'll do some hearing tests and then have you answer some surveys. Then, according to the letter..."The upgrade in technology offers features such as a feedback manager to control excessive squealing, bone conduction testing through the device to allow more accurate programming, and Speech Guard technology to maintain audibility of the speech signal in the presence of background noise." And then about a month later I'll go back in and get checked and will answer more surveys. This is probably a result of the newer Ponto Power they have out now, but it should be interesting to see if there'll be a noticeable change. I go in this next week to start this. I'll keep you all posted on this!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: New Ponto Pro firmware upgrades....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 04:03:26 pm »
Hmmmmmm.  This sounds interesting.  I exchanged my Ponto Pro in July, before I even was allowed to put it on, because I wanted one of the new white colored ones.  When I talked to the Customer Service person, she said the new one I would be receiving was the most recent upgrade.  She made sure my audiologist had the updated software, as well.

Is this another upgrade from July or is it just your audiologist's office that is conducting a study?

When I went for my most recent check-up, my audiologist could tell exactly how many hours a day I had been wearing it, etc.  I have never had any squealing because the feedback manager is working as it is supposed to be.  I'm wondering if I already have what you are describing ...... sure seems like it.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:54:46 am »
Good luck, Ponto-ite!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:40:47 am »
Clarice, I think it's the hearing center who's conducting this test...that letter said that Oticon chose them to conduct this study.  I bet you do have the firmware that I will get, because I know mine squeals a lot, so having a better feedback manager would be great.  And thank you Jan! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19:19 pm »
You are welcome, Ponto-ite!

For some reason I just love that word - it amuses me  ;D

Now you'll have to think of something amusing to call those of us who wear Cochlear devices.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ksiwek

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:43:35 am »
Hi everyone!

I got the software upgrade in August.  However, I have never had squealing issues or any feedback issues before or after.

Prior to the software upgrade, audiologists were unable to 'tweak' the programming on the Ponto while the user was wearing it.  For example, the device was programmed based solely on the level of hearing in the good ear.  Now, with the new software they can measure how the device is performing on your head...which is different for everyone based on things like individual bone quality.  My test showed that I needed more help, if you will, in higher frequencies.  So now my Ponto knows that if the sound is higher frequency it needs to work harder to help get that sound to my good cochlea.  Cochlear has this capability as well, I believe.  I think there is more detail about the upgrade on their website.

For me personally, I have noticed some improvement.

Jay, keep me posted on how the study goes.  I just spent a weekend with the Oticon executives and a handful of Ponto users talking about the company, the technology and what is next.  I need to post about it.  All in all, I was very impressed with the company and their commitment to the patients.   More to come....
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:50:11 am »
Hi Kris .....

Thanks for the info.  That's what I figured, because my audiologist was tweaking mine while I was connected to her computer.  Pretty neat!  We really had to laugh when she said "WOW, you have been using your Ponto for an average of 11.9 hrs per day."  and my husband jokingly asked her if she could tell what I had been saying!

Anxious to read about what is next .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »
Thank you for that info Kris!! I'll definitely post my experiences...my appt. is tomorrow.  And Jan...I am thinking Cochlearean is a good name for you guys! But that kinda makes you sound like you are foreigners or something (not that there's anything wrong with that!) :)
Jay