Author Topic: Medical Marijuana use for post-op symptoms  (Read 2922 times)

thebirdsanc

Medical Marijuana use for post-op symptoms
« on: November 05, 2016, 09:14:18 pm »
Hi All -  I had my surgery to remove my AN last week, so still dealing with all the major symptoms (dizziness/wobbliness, tracking, pain, awful tinnitus).  Lost the hearing in my left ear too.  I'm on my final day of tapering off of the decadron which I know has messed with my sleep, but am still having a lot of trouble/discomfort/pain, especially at night.  I have been taking tylenol, and my doctor said it's ok to switch to advil, but they also have me on valium and oxycodone.  I don't want to use pharmaceutical narcotics as a crutch as I've seen many people in my area get addicted (even pass away). 

I know this may sound counterintuitive depending on your own opinions of medical marijuana (MMJ), but I have been a MMJ patient in MA for 2 years and user of marijuana for 13 years and had always found using MMJ had offered great relief of my pre-op symptoms (head pain, tinnitus, sleep/anxiety).  I'd like to start using that again instead of relying on pills, but obviously do not want to start smoking right away, I feel like a drunken sailor as it is, stumbling all over myself, the last thing I want to do is feel intoxicated, or have it contribute to any post-operative complications.  However, I am really trying to push myself through PT exercises and get all my senses back prior to ski season, so I'm experiencing quite a bit of pain that has led to sleep loss. 

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience using MMJ to cope with post-op symptoms and if you had any advice or recommendations for using.

Thanks

ccooper

Re: Medical Marijuana use for post-op symptoms
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 10:11:08 pm »
I had pretty bad headaches after my surgery and lots of neck/shoulder pain. I'm very anti pharmaceuticals and so I thought I'd give CBD oil a try. Prior I was not a MMJ user. Honestly, the oil did nothing for me ingested. I'm going to get some of the topical CBD oil for when I neck starts to hurt. I have recently thought about inhaled. I'd imagine a Dr might tell you to wait some time after surgery to let your brain heal. I didn't try any until about three months out. But I think trying many forms of alternative treatments is a good thing. I also do acupuncture which has helped a lot. Best of luck. I'd be curious how you do on it and what strain.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

thebirdsanc

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:30:02 am »
Alright so I tried it this morning for the first time.  Woke up with a splitting headache and shooting pains on the left side of my head, as I normally do when I get up in the morning.  My doctor's office refuses to fill more oxycodone, which is probably a good thing, so I got a CBD oil cartridge (250ML o-pen, strain Cannatonic, 7% THC, 35% CBD) from my dispensary yesterday. I walked to starbucks and got a big iced coffee and took a couple puffs from the pen as I walked home.  It definitely helped for about an hour or two.  Pain was not as noticeable and I was more comfortable, not high/baked feeling.  It's been about 3 hours since I vaped, and am getting pretty tired, kind of a stony feeling, but as far as temporary relief goes, I think it worked for me.

Gr8fulDad

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 10:22:03 am »
I had retrosigmoid surgery 6 months ago.  While my headaches have subsided, I found the only thing that helped them when I had them was marijuana.

I did not use a high CBD/low THC strain.  I used a high THC and low CBD strain.  Yes, you do get baked...but it was the only thing that made the headaches manageable, other than narcotics which I'm not a fan of taking.

Diagnosed March, 2016 with a 4.2 cm AN

Surgery (Retrosigmoid) May 26, 2016 by Dr. Gelareh Zadeh at Toronto Western Hospital.  Hearing and facial function in tact.  Home 4 days later.
Bed of tumour left on the 7th and 9th cranial nerve but watch and wait for now.