Author Topic: Caring Doctor's  (Read 4227 times)

Raydean

Caring Doctor's
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:36:47 pm »
I just wanted to share some good things about treating doctors.  Often times we complain about personality, seemingly not caring, or being emotionally detached.  Seems we bash doctors as often as we give them credit. This past week for various reason it became clear that my husband needed rechecked sooner then later.  Amazingly, after one phone call Dr. Mangham and staff arranged a neuro visit with Dr. Steege, hearing test, balance test, MRI plus his own evaluation  all within the same day, and scheduled for a week later.

The professionalism and thoughtfulness of Dr. Mangham and staff has made  this situation alot easier.
As i set here thinking things over it feels like they're my guardian angels at this point.   Between caring Doctors and caring members and friends on this forum we are blessed.

Best to all
Raydean

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:48:25 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

tony

Re: Caring Doctor's
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:53:52 am »
It must have been a worrying few days for you
I hope your Husband is OK - please let us know the outcome
And yes of course there are many good docs
perhaps we tend to remember the poor ones more easily ?
best wishes
Tony

cookiesecond

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 05:29:20 am »
Raydean,
We are  praying for a good report. Keep us posted.

I can't say enough good things about my doctor. Dr. Cunningham (neuorotologist) at Duke. He is very thorough and caring. My whole family was impressed. I just wish he was closer to me.
Take care,
Lynn
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:10:27 pm by cookiesecond »

Obita

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 07:54:54 pm »
Thinking of you, Raydean and Chet:

Guardian Angels can show up at any time.  I am glad your's showed up this week disguised as caring doctors. 

They are out there.  I have a few of them myself.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 05:05:34 am »
My recent surgery was done by a fantasic man, caring and acepting that what I want matters (surgery was my choice at this time to prevent worsening condition). Surgeons are a different breed all together from other doctor's, tend not to have "people skills" 'cause they do thier work with the patient out cold (OR nurses are the same too!) but thank heaven when thier operating they don't feel the need to wake us up and ask how we're doing!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

kimmer

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 03:11:23 pm »
Hi Raydean, You are so blessed to have found a doc who is compassionate.  My ent has turned me over to the surgeon and will not treat me at all.  I have a head cold and the weather is changing.  So my vertigo was so bad i couldn't travel in the car around the block.  The doc said i am sorry, i don't know what to tell you.   :'(

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 03:56:26 pm »
Hi Kimmer

I'm really sorry that your ENT isn't listening to you.  it might be a good thing that he isn't treating you!

Many years ago the same Doctor made a statement that I'll never forget.  He reminded me that the patient is his employer  and like any other working relationships, the employer can fire the Doctor at any time for any reason, or  for no reason.    It helped me to put things in perspective.  Sometimes there are no answers, "but I don't know what to tell you" isn't an answer.  I suspect that your ENT may not have much experience with AN's and it would be in your best interest to find a Doctor that does have experience, will explain all options, answer your questions,and  will listen to you.  Good communication between Doctor and patient is so important.  I truly hope that you'll continue to search for a doctor that you are comfortable with and will have the answers to your questions.

You're right i am blessed to have the Dr Mangham.  His office just called to confirm appointments times for Thursday and to ask how my husband was doing. 

Kimmer, you'll be in my thoughts and please keep us updated as you move ahead in your treatment plans.

best to you
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

tony

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:05:44 pm »
Raydean hope your husband is OK - and once again good fortune for tomorrow
Best regards
Tony

Raydean

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:41:19 pm »
Hi Tony

Thanks for the good wishes.  It's only Tuesday here. (about 2:30PM) so  for us it's a day after tomorrow.  You'd think by now we'd be use to waiting and developed patience, but that hasn't happenned.  Thankfully we'll have answers by the end of the day Thursday.  I'll write you when we're back home.  I think there's a good 50/50 chance that they may keep him (hospitalize him) so it may take a day or two.  I'll call one of the best coast girls and perhaps she can post an update on Thursday.  I'll just be so glad to have answers.  I pretty much can guess the possibilities, but knowing for sure will help.

Again thanks for the good and positive thoughts and for your gift of friendship.  You have always held a special place within Chet's and my life.  You have set such a positve example!!!!

Hugs
Raydean 

redgrl

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 03:21:31 pm »
Just wanted to say good luck to you and chet. Hope everything goes well. You are guys are in our thoughts and prayers. :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:46:46 pm »
It's after midnight here so hoping today brings your family peace today!  May all you've done for all of us come back tenfold today!   :-*