Author Topic: 6 month mri.  (Read 2675 times)

satman

6 month mri.
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:45:39 pm »
Hi gang,
It looks like monday I have to go for my 6 month mri.
I am really not looking forward to it.
I guess the best thing is not to dwell on it,right.
How did you A N veterans handle the anxiety ?
I never wanted to hear that chunk,chunk,chunk sound ever again.
I guess being scared and paranoid are not going to affect the results,DAMN !
I just really dont want to do it.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: 6 month mri.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 05:01:23 pm »
I totally understand. Going in for MRI's are no fun, however we must do it. Its not the MRI part that bugs me so much (you get used to it) its waiting for the results......if you are like me your so paranoid that they might find something else or that your AN is growing. I have to go in for my MRI here in couple of weeks then I can have my CK done. Well keep us posted on the outcome. I know you'll do fine....that 45 minutes really really sucks.
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 05:52:30 pm »
Hey John:  I had my 1 year MRI a couple of months ago - I had the results mailed to me (at my request) & it said something about 'residual 1.7CM x 1.3 CM' - well, I almost lost my mind until I logged on here & was told by our veteran AN friends that the radiologist probably mistook the packing as residual AN & they were right!!!    So, if you get your results, no need to freak out like I did.   
Actually, I waited till a few months after a year to go get it because I didn't want to know if anything was wrong, of course that's the wrong attitude.  Get it over with, we've got to learn to go thru this once a year anyway, so, my advice to you (& me):  JUST DO IT!!!
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  good thoughts for you too Mindy !!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

candtlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 08:50:29 pm »
Hi John,

I have my 6mo post ck MRI in Jan...... stay strong. I hate the MRIs too. I kinda have to think of it like a situation in which I was getting my flu shot a while back. I was really whining.. how I hate needles, could go through child birth etc etc etc but hated needles then up popped this little 3 year old girl. Took it like a champ and went away ok actually talking with her Mom not crying at all.... WOW I though, and I just did it. Got my shot ;)  GL to you. Please update us. I pray your results will be positive...............
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:02:46 am »
Super "8"

I just did my 3 month MRI ... the radiologist report has me freaking out…

I think I will listen to Nancy and what she said above – my report says my remnant is 7mm … granted it does not say 4 cm anymore … but I don’t know what this means … "did it grow since surgery?"  Amidst the other scary words “chronic dura fluid â€? … oy ya ya I think I will just relax until I hear from the expert surgeons.

I chose not to have music in the headset this time and actually wore an earplug in the good ear (I could still hear the radiologist fine) and it muffled all the weird MRI noises… I was much more relaxed being that this was MRI round #3… and I figured out how to muffle the MRI sounds…

You wrote
“I never wanted to hear that chunk,chunk,chunk sound ever again.
I guess being scared and paranoid are not going to affect the results,DAMN !
I just really dont want to do it.�

Oh come on Super 8 – you are my hero. After making the records on recovery after a super sized tumor, tossing the walker, going back to adrenaline chasing news media work … you can do this. I know you can.

Hang in there …you CAN do this!

Cheers,

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 05:08:33 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

satman

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 11:59:28 am »
Thanks everybody,worring about it will change nothing.
I guess if it's growing it will be small enough to handle with Gk or whatever, just as long as there
is no more invasive surgery or re-hab. I'm cool now,no prob.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 03:44:48 pm »
Hi, John:

I'm scheduled for my 6-month follow-up MRI scan in late December, so I can empathize with your natural anxieties.  Of course, I've already had 7 MRI sans in the past 18 months so it isn't all that intimidating, anymore.  Fortunately, I'm not claustrophobic, either.  My last MRI showed tumor shrinkage and definite necrosis, so, I'm optimistic the next one will show more of the same.  After both surgery and radiation, it had better:)

I doubt your AN is growing and, as you noted, even if it were, non-invasive radiation could handle it.

I'm glad you're cool with this necessary procedure and be sure to get back to us when you have the MRI results.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

satman

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 04:17:16 am »
Thanks Jim,I always look forward to your responses as they always seem to calm me.

Dealy

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:56:59 am »
Satman- I will give you a perspective from an Nf2. When I first started this ordeal back in 2005 I could hear the clunks of the MRI. Since subsequent radiation- no sound whatsoever-no clunks -no nothing. It is always a point of anxiety-but I always Thank God that the medical field has a way of looking in your head now W?O major surgery or guessing. Can you imagine before MRI's what we all would have done. Anyway her is hoping the Booger is gone gone gone. MY year and a half is coming up at the end of December. Cheers-and hang it their. Thanks_Ron.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 07:48:35 pm »
Super duper trooper Satman – “Super 8�, ;D

Just think of it as a super hero’s phone booth  ;) … only you are laying horizontal rather than standing vertical. All those chunk,chunk,chunk sounds are energy waves to help you transform. Sort  of the “go in as a Clark Kent come out as Supermanâ€? idea… only horizontal… and instead of kryptonite it is MRI contrast dye.

You will come out of the booth the stronger for it … and all those "attired in white coats pro’s" will get documented pictures of how truly amazing you are inside…

;DSuper 8…Faster than a news TV truck, flies higher than a traffic helicopters, stronger than hurricanes… its Satman Super 8!  ;D

You can do this Super 8 – I know you can. ;)

Your faithful fan club leader,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman

wikipedia does not know about SATMAN SUPER 8 … yet… ;)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

linnilue

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 09:47:01 pm »
I'm with you Sat, the clunk, clunk, clunk is enough to end me running to the medicine cabinet for some anti-anxiety med.  I feel the same way with every single MRI, my anxiety has never gotten better.  I still HATE that machine.  Just laying there like a mummy is a heartfull of palpitations.  Good Luck and Happy Thanksgving, Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.