Author Topic: Chris Update  (Read 6936 times)

chrissmom

Chris Update
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:09:03 pm »
Good news all...

We see movement !  Chris has demonstrated his ability to "whistle" and we saw movement  in the facial muscles.  It's slight to be sure but it is there.  He had the anastomosis 4 months ago.

He went fishing today.  I guess your encouragement helped.  We finally have a nice day here in Pennsylvania so he went fishing with a friend.  He hasn't been fishing for a long time.

He is working part-time and he plans to go to college in the fall.  Congratulations to Batty on her return to school !

He was recently denied SSD because they feel that his illness will not last a year.  Well, we are appealing that ruling.  I kept a diary last year ( as per advice of Raydean).  I have everything listed month by month.  It details his constant struggles with his newly acquired hearing loss, the constant frustration and stress of the altered levels of hearing and balance, his self-consciousness about his facial paralysis.  He is in recovery and I want them to know how he struggles with it.

I'm thinking about writing a story for Readers Digest when this is all over.

I keep telling him to post his picture so  you can all see how gorgeous he is... what a mom, huh?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Chris Update
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:44:43 pm »
Good news all...

We see movement !  Chris has demonstrated his ability to "whistle" and we saw movement  in the facial muscles.  It's slight to be sure but it is there.  He had the anastomosis 4 months ago.

He went fishing today.  I guess your encouragement helped.  We finally have a nice day here in Pennsylvania so he went fishing with a friend.  He hasn't been fishing for a long time.

He is working part-time and he plans to go to college in the fall.  Congratulations to Batty on her return to school !

He was recently denied SSD because they feel that his illness will not last a year.  Well, we are appealing that ruling.  I kept a diary last year ( as per advice of Raydean).  I have everything listed month by month.  It details his constant struggles with his newly acquired hearing loss, the constant frustration and stress of the altered levels of hearing and balance, his self-consciousness about his facial paralysis.  He is in recovery and I want them to know how he struggles with it.

I'm thinking about writing a story for Readers Digest when this is all over.

I keep telling him to post his picture so  you can all see how gorgeous he is... what a mom, huh?

"What a mom" is right!  You've been a super-mom all through this ordeal with your son.  Brave and resilient seems to be a family characteristic.  :)

I'm so pleased to see that Chris is showing signs of facial movement.  I trust that movement will increase over time.  The fishing expedition is a very good idea.  I hope Chris brings back a creel full of fish tonight.  :)

The denial from Social Security is common on the first attempt, as many here can attest.  Your appeal seems justified.  Best of luck with it, as your son certainly deserves what others sometimes receive for far less of a loss. 

It sounds as if Chris is doing fairly well, considering the size of the tumor removed and the complications he had to endure.  Be sure he knows that we all congratulate him and wish him the best as he struggles toward a full recovery.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 02:02:24 pm »
YEEEAAAAHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!

You don't know what this does for my spirits !!!!!
I am soooo happy for him, & you too mom !!!!

WOW !!!  First I read how well Denise is doing, now Chris.
I'm getting less scared of the 12/7 jump surgery by the minute !!
Great news,   take care,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:34:47 pm »
Great news!  It's always good to hear that faces are moving.  Hope Chris has fun fishing.  It does feel like spring is in the air today. 

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:40:05 pm »
Right ON! we all need to hear and read about good things that happen! Way to go Chris- and Kudos to Mom- Suma Cum Laude- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

lmurray69

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 08:18:23 pm »
Chrismom ,I am so glad for him that he went fishing.. I am in Missouri and it is to cold to go to the creek. Ha ha , Yes we should see what a good luckin guy you have .. Linda
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

MCLARKE46319

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 08:24:35 pm »

Chrismom

My 25 yr old daughter had her tumor removed Jan 3rd of this year.  Her face is still paralyzed and she is having eye troubles and trouble swallowing, well she only swallows thickened apple juice.  When did Chris have his surgery?  Was his tumor a large one?  Does he have trouble swallowing?

Sorry for all the questions but I know everyone progresses at their own speed but I like to read the success stories here so I can encourage my daughter. 

Thanks for any answers you can share with me.

Maureen

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 09:33:43 pm »
Great news about Chris! Also, keep appealing the SSDI claim. Put it in the hands of a lawyer if need be. It will eventually go through. It just takes time.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

superrmaren

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 09:57:44 pm »
great news about chris!  i am from pa., too!  i think i had my surgery a little after chris and read every word of his story!

MAUREEN -- i am 23 - not too far from your daughter's age. i had surgery 7 months ago for a large tumor...i promise it gets better!  i'm not back to 'normal' yet, but working hard!  it feels like a never-ending battle. feel free to drop me a line -- or your daughter!  superrmaren@hotmail.com

xox
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

chrissmom

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 12:52:10 pm »
Maureen,
I certainly understand what you are going thru.  Yes, Christopher had all those things.  The swallowing problems were mostly while he was in the hospital.  About 3 weeks after the surgery he was able to eat thicker foods.  The water was a problem going down because it is fast and he couldn't feel it so they started him with thicker liquids and water-based liquids came last.  He had swallowing tests done daily.  He gradually came back from that problem.

The eye problem goes with the facial paralysis.  While in the hospital, several days after the second surgery to get the tumor, they took Chris to the ophthamologist and a gold weight was placed in his eyelid.  Even though he had muscle-tone at the time, the doctor knew he would need it and sure enough he did.  The gold weight closes the eye, you can't see it at all.  It will improve the appearance of the eye.  I'm glad he had it done.

The facial paralysis:  3 months after the tumor surgery, the doctor did a jump graft.  He took a very small piece of the hypoglossal nerve and connected it to the facial nerve.  This is expected to reanimate the face.  After 4 months, we are beginning to see results.

His tumor was 5.3 cm- a monster.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:24:59 pm by chrissmom »

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 06:13:16 pm »
Yay, Chris!!!!!   Good news.  We like that! ;D ;D

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

brasher

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 12:43:32 am »
chris'smom and chris,

congrats, that is too cool...
my fishing buddies and i used to communicate with each other by whistling more so than talking. but now i cant whstle..
it is encouraging to know that i might be able to again someday...
good luck and God bless you both

tony
6.5cm AN;   1/23/07
translab prceedure; house ear clinic; Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz
facial nerve severed with complete removal of tumor.
gold eye weight;2/21/07-Dr Roberts
12-7 nerve anastomosis; 3/1/07, Dr Slattery
happy to be here; recovering well

Denise

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 06:52:38 am »
Chrismom!
I am so happy for Chris!!! Please let him know. 

This is very exciting, and it will only get better.    I am very very excited for him. 

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

chrissmom

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 12:28:23 pm »
Hey Denise,
What's the status of your reanimation?  Chris is now going to start speech therapy because the doctor doesn't want synkinesis (when muscles move the wrong way and you get the wrong expressions) to occur. 

robinm

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 01:18:27 pm »
Hey Chrissmom,

In one of the threads, you had talked about starkey destiny's transcranial CIC hearing aid. Can you tell me how to contact those people?

Robin