Author Topic: Have you ever noticed?  (Read 1516 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Have you ever noticed?
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:19:40 pm »
Ever since I've had my AN I've noticed that sometimes when I'm on the phone (using my non-AN ear), I'll get something like "feedback" in my AN ear...and when I plug my AN ear (with my finger)...it goes away...wierd huh?

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Don

Re: Have you ever noticed?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:43:16 pm »
My AN deaf ear rings 24/7? a high pitched whine hard to describe sort of like  some sort of electric high pitch constant whine sort of like a cicada? Ive learned to just live with it, I am deaf in one ear and no longer enjoy the sound of silence? I dont really think it is in the ear auditory canal as that side is demolished so I think its just a stray signal in my brain? Sort of like the ringing you experienced after going to a rock concert?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Have you ever noticed?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:15:29 pm »
Weird things can occur when sound transfer is involved. In my experience, my deaf ear (my left) is just that: deaf. No outside sound penetrates, under any condition.  Tinnitus is constant but very low level, sort of a mild 'white noise' effect.  However, I've never experienced any external sound being 'transfered'.  I kind of wish I had.  If anyone does have that experience, it may represent a very minor level of hearing preservation that isn't enough to be really useful but is enough to appear to 'transfer' sound while you're on the telephone.  A hearing test would confirm this.  Otherwise, I have no idea what may be happening in this situation.   ???

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.