Author Topic: We Did It!  (Read 6772 times)

LADavid

We Did It!
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:19:35 pm »
I've been sort of out of touch with the Forum for the last week -- a lot going on.  But the biggest news -- on Sunday, my daughter and I ran the Long Beach Half Marathon. 8)  My knee cooperated. The weather was great.  The scenery was awesome.  The first 10 miles were good.  The last 3 were a bit of a challenge.  And we finished in 2 hours and 25 minutes.  It was my daughter's first -- and my last -- no more of that stuff.  Especially the training.  As soon as I get race pictures, I'll pass them along.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

Re: We Did It!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:42:51 pm »
David~
Congratulations!
I had planned on writing and wishing you good luck but to tell you the truth, I forgot.  My Grandmother passed away Thurday evening and it seems that from the time we got the call Thursday afternoon until today - everything is pretty much a blur!  Glad you made it.

How is the move going?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 04:13:05 pm »
Congratulations David!  Way to go!!!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lori67

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:49:58 pm »
David,

Great news!  I didn't doubt for a minute that you'd do it!  Can't wait to see the pictures! 

Hope you got a nice long rest in after the race!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:17:47 pm »
It sounds like that was one of those things to do in your life:-)
What a milestone...I can't claim a marathon...however, I took the train back from downtown and sat with two Young 'uns (twenty somethings) who ran in the Chicago Marathon this past week.  Does that count?

Seriously, get those pictures posted.. Congrats on finishing the race.
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 07:45:40 pm »
Hi David,
That's great news, congratulations.  I agree; one half-marathon is enough!  Also glad your knee didn't act up.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:24:48 pm »
David,

a very HEARTY congrats to you both for accomplishing what many can only dream of accomplishing (myself included). Honestly... you do rawk! :)

Great job!!!!!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:39:42 pm »
Great time!!! :o

Was that for 26.2 miles?

How long ago did you have surgery?
How old is your daughter?
Did you run together for the entire race?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 08:40:50 pm »
I hang out with a group of runners at my gym. I started to train for a half last year, but as my training got more serious I had more and more breathing problems and was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma. Running is the only activity that triggers attacks, so I have had to drop it. Well, running and altitude -- I finally got an answer why I got so sick in Costa Rica two years ago. I went with my daughter, some other high school graduates and their mostly overweight parents and could not figure out why I (the skinny, in-shape one) was the only one having breathing problems.

Anyway, I really admire anyone who participates in marathons and half-marathons. Way to go David & Daughter!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:12:27 pm »
Thanks everybody.  And DHM, it was a half Marathon -- 13 miles.  I ran one Marathon before -- this gave me a new found appreciation of what I accomplished. My surgery was December 3, 2007.   My daughter is 25.  We ran together the whole race -- although there were times when I am sure we did not enjoy each others company -- as I am sure that CindyJ and Marci will understand.  My objective was to see my daughter through her first.  It's up to her what she wants to acheive from now on.  I may be an over-acheiver -- but I am no longer interested in anything that has Marathon in the title.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:24:29 pm by LADavid »
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:30:30 pm »
David:

Belated congratulations!  I get tired just reading about anyone close to my age running even a half-marathon.  Now, get some rest.  ;)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 06:46:28 am »
pat, pat, pat on your back

Good for you!  I am just learning to jog at ahem 52 and I am smiling inwardly at my tiny accomplishment of 30 minutes straight.  I feel this is enough for me!  But since you want to go for the bigger piece of the pie David, then go right ahead!   ;)
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

andrea in slc

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 08:35:38 am »
Holy cow, running 13 miles? WOW! Congratulations! I'll just applaud and cheer from the sidelines, if that is okay. The only "marathon" I'm interested in would be a seafood or chocolate one, LOL!

Seriously, way impressed that you two did that. Congrats to both of you, that is amazing!  ;D

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 09:06:24 am »
David,
Congratulations on funning the half marathon -- sure sounds like a whole maratrhon to me!!  I'm not a runner  but I love to walk (before surgery I was walking at least 7 miles a day and am back up to 2+).  I have a bad knee and have never loved running anyway.  That you were able to make it through the whole thing is a testament to your grit and deterimation!  YAY for you!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 09:07:44 am »
David,
Congratulations on funning the half marathon -- sure sounds like a whole maratrhon to me!!  I'm not a runner  but I love to walk (before surgery I was walking at least 7 miles a day and am back up to 2+).  I have a bad knee and have never loved running anyway.  That you were able to make it through the whole thing is a testament to your grit and deterimation!  YAY for you!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!