Author Topic: Walk4Hearing in DC!  (Read 2283 times)

superrmaren

Walk4Hearing in DC!
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:28:25 am »
 ;D

Hey all!  I haven't made it on the forum in ages!  I had an AN removed on 8/7/06, have a BAHA, some residual balance/coordination issues, and am going to start a job as a registered nurse in November at Johns Hopkins on a neurology unit!  I will be working "on the other side of the bed" with the surgeon who saved my life :)

Just wanted to share a link with you all ...I will be walking in the 5K Walk4Hearing in DC on October 17 with one of my nursing school professors who has profound bilateral hearing loss.  I appreciate any support!   

http://hlaa.convio.net/goto/superrmaren 

Hope you are all doing well!  Fun at the Symposium this year?  I missed it because of school :(

Best wishes!  Remember, it could always be worse!

xox
-maren
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

sgerrard

Re: Walk4Hearing in DC!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:22:59 am »
Hi Maren,

Nice to have you back. I saw in your other new posts that you have had some success with facial and eye issues. Thanks for sharing those. It is great to hear that you will be working as an RN in a neurology unit. Nothing like having a nurse who has been there and done that.

The symposium was great, check out the pictures topic on it: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10294.0. Next one is Cincinnati 2011.

The walk sounds great. Hearing loss is high on my list of causes to support. Hope it goes well.

Best wishes to you too.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:44:47 pm »
Hearing loss is high on my list of causes to support. Hope it goes well.

Supporting hearing loss is high on my list also, thanks for the link Maren - and good luck with the walk.

A very worthy cause  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:03:29 pm »
Hello Maren,
Good for you on your walk / fundraiser. Also, congrats on your nursing job in the neurology unit at Hopkins. Will you work in Baltimore? I had my surgery there at Univ of MD.

I live just outside of DC in Silver Spring. I hope you have perfect weather for your walk and your cause is supported well!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:13:37 pm »
Hi, Maren!

Thanks for 'checking in'.  I hope the October 17th Walk in D.C. raises lots of money for this worthy cause.   I'm also an '06 AN 'veteran' (see my signature) and I'm pleased to learn that you're doing so well.   Congratulations on achieving RN status and best of luck as you begin your nursing career at prestigious Johns Hopkins hospital.  Way to go!   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.