Author Topic: Waiting for MRI results  (Read 3386 times)

justjenni

Waiting for MRI results
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:34:47 am »
Hello all.  I'm new to the forum and have not been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, but am awaiting my MRI results right now.  I have a few questions though.  A little history....

I went to three different doctors with left sided tinnitus over the last several months.  The first treated for a sinus infection although no signs of a sinus infection were present and told me to come back if not improved.  I went to my GP a few months later as it hadn't improved.  He had no idea, but agreed it was "weird", and referred me to an ENT.

When I saw the ENT, as he was explaining where the acoustic nerve was I asked how closely the facial nerve was connected and explained about facial twitching I've had over the past 6-7 years that has been diagnosed as hemifacial spasm (I've seen 4 different doctors, no MRI ever performed).  He immediately became concerned about an acoustic neuroma or facial nerve neuroma and ordered both a hearing test (absolutely normal!) and MRI.

So my questions:  How many of you have had facial twitching (no numbness or weakness) in conjunction with your ANs, how many had preserved hearing, and how long did you have to wait to hear back on your MRIs.  The waiting is killing me.  I've got a call in to the doctor's office, but I'm sure my emergency is not their emergency.  :)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Waiting for MRI results
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:08:43 pm »
Hi justjenni and welcome to this forum .....

Most of us can attest to your angst over waiting to hear/read MRI results.

First of all, it is the patient's right to have the report of any medical testing ..... you do not have to see a doctor to read a report of any testing.  That being said, it is not always a good idea to read your own report first, because if there is something serious showing on it, you need your physician immediately at hand to answer questions.

I've been through so many MRIs now and no longer afraid to read the reports on my own, so I always go back to the imaging center as soon as they say the report will be available.  I also keep copies of all of my MRI CDs, along with the reports.

I certainly am not recommending you do that, but for future reference you might want to know you are entitled to the report and a copy of the CD.

I did not have facial nerve involvement with my AN.  However, I did have a very slight bit of facial weakness for a short period of time following my second surgery ..... most likely from post-op swelling.  Other AN patients have had facial symptoms before diagnosis, however.

Hang in there until you find out the results.  Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011