Author Topic: Growth after 10 years  (Read 83 times)

MikeRad

Growth after 10 years
« on: May 28, 2024, 10:12:30 am »
Hello everyone. 

I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma at the end of 2013 after having tinnitus on one side.  The tinnitus started suddenly on the right side and was quite a shock.  It has never subsided but I don't notice it much any more.  fortunately, I have been able to tune it out except when I think or talk about it.  I have tinnitus on the left but not as loud.  It may be more prominent recently but not really sure.

When I went to the ENT in 2013, he said that the tinnitus on my right side could be caused by a tumor and we should get an MRI to rule it out.  The MRI came back with a 4mm x 5mm AN on the left.  From everything I've learned, it's not possible for tinnitus on the right to be caused by an AN on the left so I presume they are unrelated.  My AN showed no growth from 2013 through my last MRI in 2022.

So I had a follow-up MRI last week and it is now 4mm x 6mm.  My prior MRI was done at the same hospital, on the same 3T machine (I asked when I was there for some reason), and read by the same radiologist who noted the growth from the prior MRI.  When I look at the scans myself, I can see the shape has changed a bit for the first time.  My hearing in both ears is still normal except for the past two years (May 2023 and May 2024) where the audiologist noted mild hearing loss at high frequencies (8000) in the left ear. 

I feel I have some really mild balance issues.  I notice it leaning backwards and looking up.  Occasionally I'll notice I'm a just a bit unsteady at other times.  No vertigo nor dizziness though.  If I didn't have an AN, I probably would think nothing of it.  Curious if others have noticed this before? 

I have a follow-up with my Neurosurgeon next week and not sure what to expect.  I've always thought if I had growth or increase in symptoms I would have GK.  Should I expect him to push for GK now or continue to W&W to see of there is additional growth in the next 6-12 months?  For others in a similar situation what did your doctor recommend and what did you end up doing?  In the end, I expect I'll lose serviceable hearing in my AN ear eventually either by waiting or after GK.  After reading so many posts, I feel I've been really lucky with mild symptoms to date.  Most likely because my AN was discovered before I had any noticeable symptoms. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate your thoughts. 

DanFouratt

Re: Growth after 10 years
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 12:08:39 pm »
Mike,

Each decision is personal and is yours not the doctors. I pulled the trigger last fall. I could have stayed in the wait and watch, but I did not want my issues to get worse (SSD and Tinnitus only today).  You can see below the growth history.  Even with the starting and stopping, I still went forward.  If I asked to be left in wait and watch they would have.  Do you is right for you.

Dan
Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23             TBD Not Scheduled