Author Topic: Happy Anniversary to Me  (Read 17673 times)

OMG16

Re: Happy Anniversary to Me
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2008, 12:13:58 pm »
Well now that makes perfect sense.  You just never know what the meanings could be.  ;) 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2008, 10:44:15 pm »

Sorry, Jan, I have hijacked your thread!!   :o

No apology necessary, K.  I hijack threads all the time - as Phyl can tell you  ;)

16 -

since K explained the pic-a-wienie, let me say that the two-headed dog is going to save Lori from riding through the streets of her town naked on a horse.  Just search on "Lady Godiva".  Somedays we are just too silly for words  ;D

Lori -

I can just see you on strike.  And you say I'm tough  ???  Sounds like you are a pretty tough cookie yourself  ;)  And how do you cope with a 16 & 20 year old - YIKES!!! - they aren't much older than you are  :D

I though you just had "little guys".  "Put it away or E-Bay" is very catchy.  Perhaps instead of creating gift packs and BAHA accessories, we should have you printing signs for aggravated mothers everywhere  ;) or, since we are all in agreement about needing a cleaning intervention we could go with that idea.

Wendy -

except for the husband part, you could be the mom in my house.  My kids also think I should do everything and I am also tired of it.  Yesterday my daughter informed me that I "NEVER" do anything for her.  Funny coming from a girl who doesn't even clean her own room on a regular basis.  Can you say "spoiled rotten"  ??? 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tamara

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2008, 06:08:24 am »
Unfortunately, I'd have to clean before the interveners  (did I just make up a new word?)
got here because I wouldn't want them to think I'm messy... ::)

True Confessions Time:  We did this!  My house is not dirty, but is often messy.  I actually had my sons help clean the house before our potential cleaning lady came over.  They asked my why, and I said "So she doesn't run away screaming".  I guess it worked - though she said it will take her twice as long to clean our house as it does most of the ones she does.  When I asked why, with some alarm, she said it was because we had a "lot of stuff".   Don't know quite what that means...

When my oldest son was a tot, I was vacuuming one day.  He asked what I was doing so I told him.  The charming child then said to me, "Who's coming over?"

My younger son, when about 5 years old, came over and touched the iron as I was ironing and got burned.  I, of course said, "What's the matter with you???  The iron is HOT!!"  Through his tears he replied, "I didn't know what it was!"

Any other True Confessions out there?
Tamara

7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Kaybo

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2008, 06:54:17 am »
Jan~
OK...I could be wrong here, but I THINK I am younger than Lori...so really, I could go to town with the age stuff...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2008, 09:49:57 am »
Lori -
I have announced quite loudly more than once that I am not the maid and even  gone on strike a few times too.   I never thought of E-Bay .  Maybe I should try that idea.  No one seems to notice or believe I'm on strike until they have no clean clothes.  Maybe the E-Bay thing would inspire them.  Jan's right, yoiu are one tough cookie!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2008, 09:52:17 am »
Tamara -

I am cracking up at your stories!  The iron one is a classic!  Aren't kids just so adorable....grrrrrr...

And, I'm only 29... at least that's what my kids think.  And since I usually have to make my own birthday cake, I just keep reusing the "29" candle every year, so it must be true.   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2008, 09:55:08 am »
Jan~
OK...I could be wrong here, but I THINK I am younger than Lori...so really, I could go to town with the age stuff...

K

K -

I'll bet you are younger than I am - who isn't these days  ;)  - except for Steve  :D

I was going to say that you probably are younger than Lori, but I see that she's only 29.  So chances are you're older than she is, too  ::)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2008, 11:45:53 am »
We have my nephew's car here this summer b/c he drove here and then flew back to California.  We are driving it some to save on gas (they told us to).  The girlies want to go EVERYWHERE in it b/c they think it is so neat.  Want to know why?

BEACAUSE THERE ARE THESE CRANK THINGS TO MAKE THE WINDOWS GO UP & DOWN AND YOU HAVE TO LOCK EACH DOOR - they actually fight over who gets to reach back & unlock the door!! 

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2008, 12:12:10 pm »
What do you do when you go on strike and then your Family just goes and buys more clothes.  I tried that a few times and my Family is just to smart for me I guess.  I really like Lori's idea.  She is truely a smarty pants.

Tamara you crack me up.  I think I would have to clean my house before anyone came over also.  Thank goodness when I've had help it has been my Mama so I really don't care what it looks like when she comes over.  I've helped her out and cleaned her house many times before Christmas ect.  Oh that just reminded me my Mom is retired and I have hired her to mow my lawn once a week for some extra gardening money.  The neighbors have approached her to do their yards and they think we are crazy hiring a Grandmother to mow our lawn.  As we sit on the porch with a cool beverage watching her mow our lawn we do feel bad, but she wanted to do it so what can you do but defend yourself against the neighbors LOL.

OMG Kay that is to funny.  Does the car have the old seatbelts to?  We used to use them as weapons against each other.  I'm surprised any of us ever made it through childhood.  I believe a week did not go by in the summer that one of us did not have a head injury.  I remember the old 8 track tape players and my Mom and Dad used the seatbelts to strap in the player while us kids had to squeeze in next to it.  My husbands Mom had 8 kids plus neighbors that used to load into the old station wagon to go to the park.  Could you imagine about 15 kids loaded in hanging out the windows.  I would have to sedate either myself or the children LOL.  Once she got home and started making ice cream cones and realized she had 1 extra cone and was missing 1 kid.  She also lost 1 kid out the car door while making a turn once.  Do you remember when we used to make turns and we would all try and squish the kid sitting on that side well thats when it went terribly wrong for her.  The kids left in the car I guess were yelling Mom stop you lost Kim out the car door.  To this day Kim still tells the story about running crying behind the car trying to get back into the car.  Oh the good times of the past.

I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2008, 06:37:51 pm »
they actually fight over who gets to reach back & unlock the door!! 

That is SO funny, K.  When I was a kid we used to fight over who got to sit in the front seat! 

Who would have thought that manual door locks and windows would be so exciting  ???  I guess it's a whole new world  ;)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2008, 12:35:01 pm »
Okay, Jan and Lori - I'm pretty sure I'm older than BOTH of you - so do I get a medal or something (still trying to figure a way to win the bonnet contest... I'll settle for almost anything...) 

Age is only a state of mind - most of the time (present small snippet of time excepted) I feel like I am still in my early 20's!  I have earned my facial "character" (come to think of it, half of my lines are missing becasue of the facial numbness - am I instantly half my age now?) and my gray hairs (which everyone is going to see if I don't get clearance soon to use hair dye again!!)

Okay, you young 'uns - have a ball!

Debbi - always as young as I feel
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2008, 01:09:03 pm »
That's the best part of this facial paralysis - only half as many wrinkles!  I look 10 years younger on my AN side!! ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2008, 04:16:48 pm »
Lore & Deb~
I always said that I should get 1/2 pricer if I were to get a face-lift!!   ;D

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2008, 08:05:56 pm »
Debbi that is funny facial character I'm going to use that sometime in the future.

Lori do you at your young age of 116 take picture on just that side so you look younger?  Just wondering.  ;) 16

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2008, 09:12:30 pm »
Debbi -

if age is only a state of mind, there are some days that I'm 135  ;)

Jan