Author Topic: facial swelling and numbness  (Read 6074 times)

joycebaskin

facial swelling and numbness
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:25:34 pm »
I had my tumor removed in aug of last year.  I am still having facial weakness and alot of pain my faces fells  like it is swollen even though it don't look like it. and it pulls to one side.  i have been takng neurotion but not helping much. is there any advice for the swollen felling and the numbness  like when does it change or is ther something i can do to releive it.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: facial swelling and numbness
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:59:47 pm »
Hi nanansjoy:  I just stumbled on your subject:   I have never experienced a 'feeling' of facial swelling or pain post AN.   I have total facial paralysis. My face did pull to the non-paralyzed side prior to my TTT surgery.   Since you are having facial weakness, I'm wondering if you have spoken to your surgeon or a neurologist about this.
I'm unable to give more advice  since I haven't experienced what you're dealing with.

Continued healing my friend,   always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »
I, too, have no feeling in my face so I have not ever felt this, but I am quite sure this is the EXACT thing that I have experienced with my hand.  I had a stroke when I had my AN surgery (I am certainly NOT saying this is what happened to you) and could not use my right hand without retraining it.  From right after surgery, I would complain that my hand felt "big" and I always thought that I was squeezing others hands way too hard.  I still have this feeling at times...

That probably doesn't help you any, but just thought that I would share that I at least know what you are talking about!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 09:40:35 am »
Hi Nanasjoy,

I had the tumour on my facial nerved debulked Sept 2006.  I too suffer too from everything you described.  My sinuses got really bad so last week the Dr put me on prednisone and it has helped, but the side effects from the steroid are nasty.  I'm now weaning off the meds and all of the swelling, pain and pulling is back. 

An emotional roller coaster ride.  The steroids revels your system up, but when I got ticked off about HR policy changes at work the anger almost encompassed me.  I could not calm down.  Still thinking about makes my blood boil and I'm on half the dosage of steroids.  Thank goodness the Dr had the sense to give me sleeping pills because I would have gone "POSTAL" if I didn't get sleep.  I'm sure the GM would have gotten first....... my husband was up there on the list too...............

I do not know what to tell you, patience is guess, but I lost mine this week.  When is your next MRI?  How damaged was your facial nerve?  Sometimes  if I gently lay on a comfortable pillow with my hands supporting under the pillow I get some relief.  A stiff drink, a good book, anything that can take your mind off of it.

Wishing you the best,
Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

joycebaskin

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:35:27 pm »
they keep saying my nerves were stretched but dont knoe damage.  thr last few days it feels so much worae not pain but alot of discomfort.  my face pulls to the right side i had the tumor removed from the left side.  just trying to get s little info. I had my operation at the va hospital in ky.  cause i was covered under my husbands insurance.  and for a few reasond i feel like i was a guinea pig for training.  the doc.  who did operation left the next week and they changed doc. i didn't know this before i cant seem to grt any answers to anything. they do not give know advice or help  this forum has giving me alot of info.  I saw on here about the weight for my eyes and they never offered it untill i told them about it suppose to get it in may.   thanks for all your info.  god bless
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:41:42 pm by nanansjoy »

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:28:50 pm »
hello nanansjoy:  Take a deep breath my friend.   The people  on this forum with a stretched facial nerve DO get movement back - some take longer than others,  but movement does return, slowly but surely.

In the meantime,  the eyelid weight is a MUST to protect the cornea.  It can be removed if movement comes back in the eye area.
Keep your eye well lubricated - with eye drops or lubricant.  I personally use Refresh PM eye lubricant every 3-4 hours - it's the only one that works for me - drops aren't strong enough;  I have total facial paralysis for almost 2 years ( my facial nerve was cut).   If your eye begins to burn, you need to use either drops or lubricant to protect the cornea from developing an ulcer.   I also use an eye 'bubble' every night - it's like a moisture chamber; you may or may not need to use something this extreme as your eye issue may not be as severe as mine.

Keep a peaceful heart as you navigate through the VA system.    You will get through this.   Take it one step at a time.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:20:26 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

joycebaskin

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 10:02:24 pm »
nancy thanks for your info. i use a patch at night cause my eye closes almost.  i do use alot of lub. during day.  take careand vthanks joyce

Karen

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 10:56:54 am »
I know what you mean about the facial discomfort and feeling like it is swollen.  My face is numb on that side and feels like that.  I tried neurotin and Lyrica, nothing helped to much and I am afraid of the side effects.  Have you tried stretching exercises?  Also heat might help.  Lyrica had too many side efects for me.  How much neurotin were you using  and how often?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

joycebaskin

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:04:32 am »
they prescribe me 3  300mg 3times a day but i,m taking alot more than that sometimes 5 or more in a 5 hour span to ease the pain yesterday was real bad  yhey tried me on carbmazine 200 but did nothing for pain but gave me oiut of body experince so i stopped taking it.they are going to get me and appointment with neurology and until then i am just here,  if i had know my life was going to be so different i would not had the operation.