Author Topic: Two Years Today  (Read 4437 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Two Years Today
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:16:24 am »
I made it to the two year mark!  Way too many MRI's to get here.  My balance hasn't improved...even though I have had PT, I walk daily, and do exercises.  Tai Chi is next.  I have headaches now that I didn't have before surgery.  People still try to talk to me on my right side (even family...they should know better!)  The best is yet to come.  I got my auto insurance renewal, we bought a new car, much more safety equipped than the one we replaced and easier for me to drive and get into and out of.  I thought our policy would go down.  Nope, it increased by $600. a year.  Now granted I live in Texas and all insurance is high here, but this is rediculous.  I called Geico and was informed that I am in a much higher risk pool because of the limitations on my driver's license.  I may quit driving altogether!!  I am also shopping around for insurance at this moment.
I remember writing farewell letter's to all my family, cleaning my house until it sparkled and saying good bye to all the things I loved before this day.  I really didn't think I would survive surgery.  I have been a cat and figured my nine lives were up.  The morning of my surgery as I was being wheeled into the surgical theater I asked the nurse if she was single.  She said she was so I introduced her to my husband and told her he was a good catch!  I introduced my neurosurgeon to my family as Dr Hot Dr  (he was named Hot Doctor of Texas two years in a row)  and then I looked at my ENT and said darn, he's hot too how come no one has elected him for the spot?  Must have been the meds.
For the past two years my life has my a downward and upward spiral.  I'm hoping in the next two things will balance out and I will get used to the limitations I didn't have before this day two years ago.
I am thankful that I can sit here and type this post.  I am thankful I found this forum because without it and all of the feedback I have received and prayers and happy thoughts I know in my heart I wouldn't be here today.  So thank you all.
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

matti

Re: Two Years Today
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 11:00:17 am »
Happy ANniversary!!!! 

I know it has been a tough 2 years, but through it all, you've been an enormous pillar of strength to all of us and I thank you. We shall toast tonight on the PBW ;) margarita's for all!

Frustrates me too, as I am 9 years post op and I STILL have to remind my hubby and kids that I am deaf on the left. I end up doing the do-si-do all the time.

Sending big hugs!
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Brendalu

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:49:34 am »
My husband is actually taking me out to celebrate tonight, so we will toast with magaritas!  Thanks, Cheryl, your posts have helped me alot and they are appreciated.
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

redgrl

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:09:13 pm »
Happy two year anniversary!!!  ;D
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Lisa Peele

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 09:35:16 pm »
You did not tell your docs they were HOT...I love it!  I told mine I wasn't wearing any underwear...but only because I wasn't allowed to :).

It sounds like you have been through a lot...congratulations on two years...may you have many more!

Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 10:44:07 pm »
Congratulations on the 2 year milestone - what an accomplishment!  Yes, ANs change lives, but there is life after ANs.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 06:15:01 am »
Lisa,
Yes I did tell my doctors they were and in front of my family to boot!  I figured I wasn't going to ever see themagain, so I wouldn't be embarrassed.  Was I wrong!  I told them at my first appointments afterwards that I still thought they were hot and so now they think I'm crazy!  I'd rather be crazy than not here!!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Richey

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 01:53:24 pm »
For those who are deaf on one side I would recommend that you try some hearing devices that can cross that hearing over to the good side. I have the bi-cross wireless hearing aids and they are a big help. It ain't perfect and not as good as what I had but I can hear people who talk on my deaf side. The fact is that even the folks close to you just forget about the deaf side sometimes.
Last week I took my oldest son back to Charlotte,NC to catch his plane. It's about 150 miles from where we live but local plane fares are just not competitive with Charlotte and Atlanta so we do some driving. Well I let him drive up. My deaf ear is on the left and my batteries went dead on me about 50 miles up the road. I did not have my spares as I depend on my wife to keep those in her purse. I could not get any batteries until we got to Charlotte and I was back to normal(almost) then.
  Check out your options, baha, transear, cross

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 02:42:52 pm »
My 2 year ANniversary is almost here too  :o, the last year has gone by fast.. the first 12 months felt like a whole decade.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Desilu

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 06:34:07 pm »
Hi Brendalu,

Congrats to you! I just celebrated my two year date and forgot to post it. I'm going to do that right now. Remember to take one day at a time and be thankful for each day! Again, congratulations to you!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 03:04:57 pm »
Hi, Brendalu:

Congratulations on your 2nd 'anniversary'.  I just passed my first in June.  Frankly, the further away from the surgery I get, the better I like it.   :)

I was amused by your post (the 'hot docs') but felt bad that you actually thought you would die in surgery.  I wasn't exactly sanguine going into the operating theater but I never thought I would die.  Although I realized that was a very remote possibility, I wasn't exactly surprised when I woke up (in the ICU).  Fortunately,  you seem to be coming along, even with the ups and downs that tend to be associated with AN tumors.  I certainly wish you a lot more 'ups', this year.

As a former insurance salesman, I can tell you that auto insurance rates are very specific to the individual and every company has different criterion for setting rates.  Shopping around is highly recommended.  I hope you can find a reasonable premium - and keep driving.  Also be aware that when you buy a new car, it's increased value (compared to that of your 'old' car) is going to determine at least part of the new premium (on the basis of bank-required collision coverage, if you financed the vehicle).  Boring stuff, I know, but something I thought you may find useful. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 04:23:28 pm »
Jim,
Thanks for your post!  The insurance information is very helpful.  We have had Geico for years and actualy traded our truck (2006) in for a car (2007) and the difference  we paid was $1025.  Trucks in Texas cost more to insure, so we were very surprised by the increase in premium.  We are checking around.
When I had my surgery I was convinced that I had lived my nine lives and it was time to say good-bye.  I was in shock and still am most days that I am still here!!  I have had two bouts with cancer, three really bad auto accidents and MS.
Funny story.................we ran into the surgical nurse from my surgery and she remembered me.  She told us that she relayed the story to her family and her family said it was the best offer for a husband she had had and she should have at least recorded the info so she could keep her eye out in the obits!!!  We all laughed and I asked for her card so I could put it will my will!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT