Author Topic: Exhaustion  (Read 3141 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Exhaustion
« on: July 17, 2007, 02:03:35 am »
 I am only two weeks post op ... this total disabling exhaustion is getting to me ... my doctor
said to expect it but I didn't think it would be as bad as it has been...

I will be awake and about for maybe 2 hours and have to sit or lay down ...as soon as I stop
moving  I fall asleep and sleep anywhere from an hour to 3 hours ... I was having problems
with exhaustion pre-op ... some blamed on AN and some on lupus...

Did anyone else have this problem ? ... it is making life difficult because I find myself awake
in a house full of sleeping people ... like right now... it is about 3:00 am where I sit...or during
day they are doing their thing while I snooze... also at night snacking has become an issue...
not hungry but at 3 in the morning there is not much to do and I find myself in the kitchen

I have an appointment today for post-op and maybe my doctor can help me some ... but
he also told me advise from real people who have been there done that will be greatly
helpful.... so here I am

Sleepless in Tennessee :)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 04:14:55 am »
Hi Soundy:  Only 2 weeks post op - yes, your body is exhausted !!!!!   I'm over 1 year out & still feel it, not as bad but I'm not near my 'normal' energy level.
                 Rest assured, the exhaustion/fatigue is UNBELIEVABLE.      I wish you continued healing my friend.     Nanc
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:20:52 am »
Sorry to say, but that exhaustion level sounds pretty normal for 2 weeks post-op.  Right now the best thing you can do is listen to your body and rest when you need to.

Personally, I was probably 6 weeks before I could make it through the day without a nap (though going to bed early after doing that).  And from what I've heard, I got to that point a lot sooner than most patients do.

Take it easy!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:30:06 am »
Soundy,
  As the others have mentioned, at 2 weeks post-op exhaustion is normal.   Also, if you're still on steriods, they can affect both how deeply you sleep, where you don't sleep as deeply.  And can make you very hungry, which may explain the late night snacking.
  Hang in there, it gets better.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 12:00:57 pm »
Soundy,

Yes, the good news is "it gets better".  I'm 2.5 years post surgery and continue to experience exhaustion towards the late afternoon.  You are experiencing the same as everybody 2 weeks post treatment.  Do look into ways to keep you asleep during the night (talk w/your doctor) for help here.  If you are able to read or write as this helps too, to make you sleepy.  I remember your symptoms all too well, you are not alone.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Soundy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:58:57 pm »
Thanks for all responses ...

Doctor said over all I look great and gave me sleep aid to use at night for next 6 weeks
to try to get me to sleep Thur the night...

I guess big thing that worried me is my almost 8 and almost 10 ( they are getting tired of being
almost  7 and  almost 9  :) ) year olds... we are out in the sticks away from people and I worry as to what
they might get into while I am snoozing ... have my mom coming off and on between work and
three of my grown kids who are nearby coming and going and several friend who stop by a couple
times a week...the kids are great and when I sleep end up piled in bed around me watching TV or
in room coloring or playing ... they are worried for me and have had it drilled into them that they can
not get in pool , or walk to mail box or across field to barn and a million other no no's ... but they
are kids ...

They are doing dishes and loading washer and other things I normally would do ... they have
spent most of their life watching their bed bound aunt slowly die from complications due to CP
and a bought of some virus that attacked her in 2000 and put her in the bed... so they are clingy
to me and good but there is still a big what if they don't do as told

I am hoping if I get to sleeping thru the night it will help with the day time worries and overall
exhaution... they start school on Aug 2nd so that will ease some stress... and maybe I can be
exhausted without wearing myself out mentally while awake
Translab July 2 ,2007

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:16:03 am »
One of the greatest discoveries we made regarding our young children (many years ago) was they can be counted on when needed.  Giving them responsibilities very often made them understand their place in the "family unit" and with careful wording of why you don't want them near the pool, mailbox, crossing field, etc. could cause bigger problems that the family doesn't need will give them a sense of pride that Mom and Dad can count on them to act as an adult.  We took 7 years to sail around the world and boy if there weren't many instances that set our hair on ends knowing what disaster could befall our children/family if.....  Our children were 7 and 9 years and at times were asked to think in terms of safety not only for them, but the family as their decisions do affect all around them.  They stepped up and did fantastic always thinking about their actions and outcomes.  Very often one of us was "down" due to illness or injury and they never failed to pitch in with making us not worry about their safety.  I suspect your children will do the same when asked.  And don't worry about your children losing their ability to act like children as we made sure there was plenty of "play" time for them to blow off stress. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

jimmy r

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 04:22:07 pm »
Check my reply in the post above "feedback please." I quess I'm exhasuted and posted in the wrong section - another AN moment!
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Soundy

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:19:01 am »
My kids are great and listen well ...they have grown up watching their aunt slowly die ...
something that took almost 7 years... they are too mature in ways but still kids ... they do
as they are told and know what one does can effect us all... it is just the thought of what
could happen if they slip up and be kids at the wrong moment... and they get plenty of time
to be kids ... but I still worry...

Found it Jimmy... I was thinking that I should get the kids or who ever is here to wake me
after about 30 minutes and not let me sleep til I wake... when you said power nap it reinforced
this idea...just enough to recharge and maybe I will be able to sleep thru the night...

my surgeon gave me Nortriptyline to help me sleep at my post op on the 17th ...I filled it yesterday
and when I got home had a warning from my insurance that taking it with other medicines I
am on could cause harmful ,  sometimes fatal side effects ... I called the pharmacist and he said he
saw no problem... called my surgeons office and he was in surgery and will be out today... going to
put a call in to my PCP and see what he says...insurance message could have listed which medicine it
contradicted but didn't and when I emailed them back they said they couldn't discuss it with me
that my doctor or pharmacy would ... :-\ ... can you say frustrated???
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 06:51:20 am by Soundy »
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 06:59:04 am »
Meds in question was taking Nortriptyline and pain meds within four hours of each other
...said it could slow down heart

so worked that out and have slept thru the night for past two nights ... one hurdle jumped
Translab July 2 ,2007