Author Topic: numb head  (Read 4893 times)

lora

numb head
« on: July 09, 2007, 06:04:14 pm »
As a general rule how long did you head stay numb around the surgical site.  This kinda makes me crazy especially washing my hair.  Bad enough half my head has 'peach fuzz' but it's the numbness that gets me!
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

eugd

Re: numb head
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:52:37 pm »
I'm 6 months post op and its still numb, it takes a long time for the nerve to regenerate...
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:02:56 am »
I'm 2.5 years post surgery and still feel slight numbness.  It feels better now than in the beginning, so the nerves must be regenerating.  My husband had severe wound to his forhead in his teens and he says when he touches this area it feels numb (he's 57 years old now).  I guess it depends on nerves repairing.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:29:48 pm »
I'm 6 months out and about 50% of the feeling has just returned. Since I'm SSD, the loss of hearing makes things "different" on the AN side. Deafness and numbness kinda mingled. It took a while to realize that I was associating sound with touch-if I concentrated on just touch sensation I could tell it was coming back. Hard to explain, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 03:06:17 pm »
Thirteen months out of surgery and the incision site numbness is just now subsiding.  It takes time so we have to be patient, like it or not.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:37:18 pm »
I'm approximately 8 weeks post op and I'd say the numbness on the left side (AN side) of my head is about 3/4 gone.  But now that my head feels semi-normal again, I'm noticing occasional headaches and the pain seems to be concentrated on the left side.   My AN didn't give me headaches prior to surgery, so I'm trying to decide if the headaches are due to the surgery, or if they are just headaches associated with other stuff currently in my life (exhaustion, lack of sleep, stress, etc.).

Anyone not have headaches prior to AN surgery, but developed them after surgery?  Is this common?

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jimmy r

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 07:11:50 pm »
I had a few headaches prior to surgery but nothing serious. i had bad headaches the first 3 weeks and now i wake and feel a slight headache coming which i medicate with advil and coffee. i too had retro surgery -2.8 cm.

leaprytwins - i find it amazing that your AN grew 1 cm in less than 2 months. i had my first totally removed in 1987 ( 3cm) and thought they got it all. it took 20 years for another to grow to 2.8 cm. I saw no growth from the time of my first MRI to surgery 6 months later.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

matti

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 07:21:27 pm »
I am 9 years post op and the AN side of my scalp is still numb.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:30:12 pm »
leaprytwins - i find it amazing that your AN grew 1 cm in less than 2 months. i had my first totally removed in 1987 ( 3cm) and thought they got it all. it took 20 years for another to grow to 2.8 cm. I saw no growth from the time of my first MRI to surgery 6 months later.

Jimmy R -

I think the surgeons were amazed also; but then again, I'm just an amazing person LOL

Seriously though, I've had a few strange medical things throughout my adult life - things that were totally opposite of what they should have been.   Must just be the way I'm wired.

Wish the docs were able to attribute the rapid growth to something specific, but neither of them seemed to have any idea why it happened.  Neurotologist felt really bad because the growth caused the tumor to become more imbedded on the hearing nerve and they were unable to save it - hence my complete deafness on the left side.   He and the neurosurgeon felt it was better to "kill" the nerve than leave part of the tumor.  I have to say that I totally agree with them.

Are you saying that you had AN surgery not once, but twice?  How rare is that?  I was under the impression that once ANs were surgically removed they were gone forever.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

redgrl

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 08:12:26 pm »
Im 10 months post op and still have numbness. It's still weird to wash my hair.  ;)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 10:39:26 pm »
Im 10 months post op and still have numbness. It's still weird to wash my hair.  ;)

Redgrl -

you are SO right - I'm only a few months post op, but washing my hair is very bizarre.  But, I'm so grateful that I CAN wash it.  The nine days I spent post op before my doc gave me permission to wash my hair were some of the grossest (is that a word ??? ) days I've ever experienced - glad that's over  ::)

Jan

jimmy r

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 08:47:09 am »
When i had my first surgery at HEI 20 years ago i was told that they got it all and was not told to have follow up MRI's. About a year ago i got a letter fron HEI saying there has been a small occassion of recurences and i should have an MRI. I waited a few months, but was getting sharp pain that i never had so i had the MRI and found a 2.8cm tumor. i was the 10th at HEI out of about 5000 surgeries- lucky me. I have an MRI today to see what is left - Dr barker did not want to cut my facial nerve which was wrapped around the tumor so he left part of it.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:17:07 pm »
Ouch, Jimmy R.  Surgery, not once but twice  :o

Don't know if I could do that again.  You are a brave soul.

Hope today's MRI shows good results. 

Jan

lora

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 10:57:23 pm »
JimmyR==Be brave!  I just had 2 surgeries(within 2 months) and all I can say is you go in older and wiser!  Best of luck!!
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 12:17:38 am »
I think my numbness went away in my head at about 9 mos post op..wish it would in my face  :-\ Washing my and brushing my hair was weird...I still have days I just want to shave it off  ;D

jimmy we had a same size tumor. I'm hoping the terms "we got it all" are true as I honestly do not know if I could do this again!