Author Topic: Hearing goes south  (Read 2329 times)

jvastola

Hearing goes south
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:52:37 pm »
Well, here I am 8 months post CK treatment and in the last 4 weeks my recognition in my left ear has gone from 60% to 0%.

My hearing aid that was making things bearable has been traded up and I will get a more powerful one in a few weeks.  I don't expect to get any help from it but if I do I would be excited.

I guess a life with one deaf ear is better than what the other options are.

I suggest that others keep their hopes up and keep fighting.  My situation could have just as easily gone the other way.

Jim

Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
2.2cm x 2.4cm x1.9cm Left side
CK December 4-6 2006
6 month MRI showed no cell death
12month MRI Tumor size 1.9x1.9x1.6
14 months my hearing stars to return!!

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: Hearing goes south
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:16:21 pm »
Hey Jim so sorry to hear about your hearing issue. I hope the new aide helps you. If not, don't despair, life with SSD is not so horrible. I'm still adjusting, but it is already much better than right after surgery. In fact, a plus has been that I can sleep on the deaf ear and sleep through my hubby's snoring! :-) Best wishes, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

lora

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:12:13 pm »
I agree--not too happy about losing my hearing, but it sure as hell beats losing my life :'(
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 03:04:15 pm »
jvastola:

SSD is a pretty common result of having an acoustic neuroma, even with radiation treatment instead of surgery.  While I hate to read about someone losing what hearing they had, you seem to be resigned to it and that will be helpful in the days to come.  I truly hope a hearing aid helps, at least a little.  Meanwhile, I can tell you from experience (as can others) that SSD is a handicap - but not insurmountable.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jvastola

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:28:06 pm »
Thanks everyone for your support.  SSD will be a bit more of a problem for me in that my work often requires me to work with a headset on and be able to talk to people next to me. This becomes a challange.  However, I am still above ground so there is a lot to be said for that!!

Jim

Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
2.2cm x 2.4cm x1.9cm Left side
CK December 4-6 2006
6 month MRI showed no cell death
12month MRI Tumor size 1.9x1.9x1.6
14 months my hearing stars to return!!