Author Topic: Recovery  (Read 2583 times)

jimmy r

Recovery
« on: June 30, 2007, 11:25:54 am »
Hey all,

My first post since my surgery as my vision has been blurred. I had my 7 hour AN surgery as MGH by barker and mekena on 6/19. everything went well. he was not able to remove all the tumor as it was wrapped by my facial nerve. I will find out in a month what is left and what the next course of action is. But for now no facial nerve damage. My vision is blurred but getting better and they say it should not be permanent. I get wicked headaches at night but feel great during the day. I think part of my headaches issue is my prior addiction to caffeine. The pain pills with caffeine help a lot. Saw an ENT doctor yesterday and he says i look great.

The post op care at MGH was outstanding.What a well run hospital and the nurses are angels. Hey the food was even ok. Home after 1 week and recovering well.Thanks to all for yuor support and encouragement. Dr Barker and mekena did right by me.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

linnilue

Re: Recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 06:30:43 pm »
Fabulous!  What a long surgery, wow.  Good to know when someone is doing well despite a few physical issues.  Great doctors you had.  Good luck with the remainder of your recovery.
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

neal r. lyons

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 04:03:21 am »
Good to hear from you Jimmy!  Sounds like with your vision improvement and a reduction of the headaches, and being home you are doing well.  Congrats!  Not to mention 7 hrs of surgery! 
     My AN was removed in full as you may know(Brackmann and Schwartz on the 22nd) and although I had substantial facial nerve stretching it did remain intact and I'm to try the path of patience as I monitor during recovery time.  Best wishes-Neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 06:36:24 pm »
Great to hear from you!  Take it easy and rest lots.  May you continue to have a smooth recovery!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 04:29:01 pm »
How are you doing Jimmy? Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!