Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 408881 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1260 on: November 15, 2009, 08:15:06 pm »
Well, hello, Donnalynn and Phyl!  Glad to see you here!  The book we're discussing is People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.  Was very interesting and well written.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #1261 on: November 18, 2009, 03:56:33 pm »
Well, the tables are turned.  Some of you may remember my caregiver Dave who posted during my surgery and recovery.  He was admitted to the hospital this afternoon.  A blood clot was found in his leg.  They're putting him on heparin and monitoring.  He asked his son to bring him his laptop so he can work himself to death.  His doctor told him he was working too much.  I'm picking up a copy of Guernsey Potato and heading down to the hospital so he can relax himself to health!  Just had to let you know.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1262 on: November 18, 2009, 04:15:07 pm »
Hope Dave is feeling better soon, and that he enjoys the book. Maybe you should bake him a potato peel pie.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #1263 on: November 18, 2009, 04:25:12 pm »
Hey, Nancy!  Sorry to hear that, but thank goodness it was found!  Good luck getting him to rest and relax!  Tell him we all said he must!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1264 on: November 18, 2009, 04:26:19 pm »
Nancy ~

I'm sorry to learn about Dave's blood clot problem and subsequent hospitalization.  I trust that the clot can be successfully treated with heparin and that Dave will be up and around again, soon, with or without the laptop. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

« Reply #1265 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:05 pm »
Thank you, All.  I'm just home from the hospital.  He's a little scared that he might not make it through the night should the clot decide to travel.  I'm hoping otherwise, of course.  Can't imagine life without him.  He's very pleased about the book and decided not to worry about the laptop tonight.  Victory! 
I will seek out the illustrated recipe tomorrow to see if I have the proper list of ingredients for a PPPie.  Was it edible?  I can't remember.  But I will swing through the library again to gather up some good movies for him to watch on his laptop when it eventually arrives.  Looks like it could be five days of heparin therapy gradually switching to coumadin for the long term.  I'll keep you posted.

Keri

« Reply #1266 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:56 pm »
Wow, Nancy... i was surprised about your news regarding Dave. I wasn't even going to look at this thread because I haven't read the latest book, but decided to read anyway. What a shock. I hope and pray he's much better soon.
Hope he can forget the work and stress and just do music... much more relaxing!
Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

« Reply #1267 on: November 18, 2009, 11:36:41 pm »
Just goes to show the lengths some men will go to in order to be able sit around in bed reading and playing with a computer while other people wait on them hand and foot. :)

Tell Dave to please get well soon, so he can get home and help you with tractor repairs and other important stuff.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

« Reply #1268 on: November 19, 2009, 10:59:27 am »
Thanks again.  Turns out one of his silly habits (to sit on the floor like an East Indian musician with his right ankle up on his left thigh to play his sarod) may be one of the causes of his problem.  They are doing a head to toe CAT scan on him this afternoon to try to ferret out the cause.  I left him slurping barium somethingorother in preparation.  Yuck!  It's categorized as a "weird, I mean, uncommon" location for a clot.  The left iliac is being compressed by the right iliac against the spine perhaps?  Stay tuned.
I walked into his hospital room  with breakfast and coffee at 6:30 am just as he was pushing send to call me.  Don't you just love to exceed expectations?
I'm not sure how helpful he'll be once this is over.  He'll probably have a zillion restrictions if he's on blood thinners.  Bummer.   Our plans to snorkel in St Croix have me wondering.  He cut himself on the coral in Roatan last winter, and I can just see the sharks swarming when he can't clot.
Amazing how your life can change in an instant.  "You have a clot."   :'(

Kaybo

« Reply #1269 on: November 19, 2009, 10:53:13 pm »
At the risk of sounding like Phyl here...back on topic....anymore discussion on the book??

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #1270 on: November 20, 2009, 01:34:09 pm »
No, but I would like to go off topic just one more time! Nancy I hope your sig. other  is getting that clot dissolved! It will be OK. Many people are on coumadin for life- just gotta monitor your blood levels diligently.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Keri

« Reply #1271 on: November 20, 2009, 02:20:48 pm »
ON TOPIC -
i missed this whole book / discussion. i'm travelling next week. should i buy it? did y'all like it? i don't want to read too much on the comments in case i do get it; i don't want to read what happens.

OFF TOPIC -
nancy, did you post about dave anywhere else besides on the bookclub thread? i know i just found your post accidently. since a bunch of us met dave at the brunch last year, i'm sure others would want to know - we all got to know dave a bit when you were recovering because you shared about his music, his almost appearance on TV, etc. please keep us posted.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

« Reply #1272 on: November 20, 2009, 06:47:49 pm »
moe and Keri,
I PMed you with the update.
And yes, it is a book that is worth reading.  
I recommended it to my SIL who is an avid reader and is always recommending books to me.  Well, wouldn't ya know it, she's already reading it.
I hope they make it into a movie.  Cast of thousands, sets, costumes, WOW!
Nancy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 05:03:56 am by NancyMc »

sgerrard

« Reply #1273 on: November 21, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »
Keri, I also recommend the book. Our discussion here has not really given away much. It has a collection of great stories in various historical periods, and is good reading.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1274 on: December 03, 2009, 01:55:54 pm »
We were about to drop off the first page, so . . . any more comments or questions?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13