Author Topic: 50 days after surgery  (Read 3053 times)

zhengcw

50 days after surgery
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:43:09 am »
I had my surgery done on Sept. 9 in London, ON. Thanks to Dr. Hebb, Dr.Agrawral  and all of youl, it is successful!
Next week will be my first followup!

My facial movement is Ok, hearing lost!

But these are consistent headaches (4 of 1 to 10), and have to take painkiller every day once or twice, hope it will be gone.

These days, I feel slight numb on my mouth (which led me to see doctors and diagonesed as AN), does anyone has the same symptom?

kathleen anna

Re: 50 days after surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:33:11 am »
Hi......I had my translab surgery on Sept.15th and just had my 6 week follow up this week.  My symptons at the stage are very similiar to yours.  I have slight numbness on my left side, lost all hearing on that side, little droopiness of my mouth and my eye doesnt shut all the way and of course the slight balance issues.  These, I am told (except for the hearing) should come back in time.  My head is another story.  I have a fullness (heavy-head) all the time, slight headaches that increase when I am tired, which is mid afternoon on, and still feel tired.  I stopped taking the pain meds because they were giving me extremely weird dreams while I was asleep, and keeping me awake.  I take Advil when I need to for the headaches, but nothing seems to help the "heavy head" feeling.  I dont know about you, but somedays I feel really energized, and take advantage of it, only to feel really beat the next day.   Up and down!!   But, I am seeing that the ups are taking the lead!   I am happy that I can get feedback from everyone on here.

As far as your numbness, I also have slight numbness on my mouth and tongue.  Hopefully this will decrease in time!    Take care.             KathleenAnna

zhengcw

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:58:57 am »
Yes, kathleen. we have very similar post-op symptoms. Did your doc tell you these symptoms would go or less?
Also I had weird taste (salt) on the side tonge occassionally, how about you?

Does anyone have the similar symptoms in this forum?

Thanks.

kathleen anna

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 04:04:26 pm »
Yes, I was told that these symptoms will lessen and should come back, but it could take a while.   I havent had the salt taste, but I have read from others that some people have had a metallic like taste.   I just have the numbness.

Good luck..........keep in touch so we can "compare" symptoms since we seem to be on the same time line!!!!!    How is your balance? 

sterry

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:11:45 pm »
OMG finally a salty tongue person.  I am one year  post-op from L translab.  And pretty much the only residual I experience is a salty tongue all day long! I've come to a conclusion that it must be a nerve thing. Haven't found too much that helps other than sleeping, I can forget about it and the tinnitus while sleeping :). It's is good for weight loss, down almost 25 lbs.  The headaches I had after surgery were related to sinus infection, antibiotic fixed me up and haven't had any headaches since:). Best to you in your recovery.  Nap a lot it's good for the healing process
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:39:49 am »
I am 10 months post op and didn't have a problem with this but am still having a problem with twice daily postoperative headaches.

I also lost my hearing, but am not addressing that issue because I am so busy following up on the headaches.

Good luck to you and try to take a nap every afternoon to help you recover!

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 08:28:55 am »
OMG finally a salty tongue person. 

Actually I believe a lot of us were "salty tongue" people post op.  I definitely had it - although I referred to mine as metallic mouth.  Nothing tasted the same and lots of things I actually wouldn't eat at all because they just had no appeal for me - sadly, chocolate was one of them.

I recovered from this side effect about 6 to 7 months post op.

Hope yours goes away also.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 10:02:20 am »
I am salty tongue on the right as had the facial neuroma plus another AN  plus CSF leak on that side.  Varies how bad from day to day.         On my list of AN annoyances!                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care