Author Topic: What about the cricket noise and numbness  (Read 1189 times)

deblyvers

What about the cricket noise and numbness
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »
Hello everyone...I had my surgery 20 years ago. Just wanted to let some of you know that the cricket noise in your head is normal. The doctor said it had nothing to do with my surgery....well he was wrong. I had a member email me worried about the cricket noise and she also was concerned about the AN side was numb. For me the cricket noise is still there and the numbness got better over the years. I can now feel my head when I touch it, but it still feels like I am wearing a hat. I have gotten use to it now. I still have about 9% of paralyzes on my AN side of my face. It is really noticeable when I am tired. But heck it could have been a lot worse. I feel blessed that things turned out as well as they did. I live in KY. I had my surgery in Louisville. At that time there were not a lot of doctors to choose from. I could have gone to Nashville but Louisville was closer. I was told the Surgeon in Louisville was the best for the AN. He made me feel good about the surgery. I was in ICU for 3 days and sent to a private room for 7 days. I was so off balance and couldn't shut my eye. At night I had to put stuff in it so I would not scratch it. The right side of my face drooped like I had a stroke. I drooled when I tried to drink out of a glass. But you know what....It could have been a lot worse. One day when I have lots of time I hope to write my story. It will be alot like all of yours. If I can help any one that has questions or concerns feel free to email me. I am not a doctor or nurse I can only tell you my experience.

Blessings to All,
Deblyvers

sgerrard

Re: What about the cricket noise and numbness
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:59:34 pm »
Hi Deblyvers (is it Debbie?),

I just want to welcome you to the forum. I see you have already made a few posts the last few weeks. I have the crickets too, but not much else, my AN was just a little one. I do get the feeling that I am wearing a hat sometimes, though.  ;)

Please feel free to post your story when you have a chance, and make yourself at home.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:03:04 pm »
Deblyvers:

Did you ever suffer from headaches post-surgery?

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:04:43 am »
hi Deblyvers, how is your eye closure now? thanks anne
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:08:56 pm »
Hi Debyvers ~

Welcome - and thanks for your posts!  We only have a few long-term ANers posting and we value their experience and input.  Now we have another!  :)

Considering the the relative lack of surgeons knowledgeable about acoustic neuromas at the time you had your surgery, I agree that, even with the immediate post-op problems, you did quite well.  'Blessed' is a good word.  I had my (retrosigmoid) AN surgery some 17 years after you (minus the complications) and I, too, certainly consider myself blessed.  That's why I'm here.  I hope you'll be a regular visitor - and contributor - to our forums. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.