Author Topic: 6-month follow-up appt.  (Read 2649 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
6-month follow-up appt.
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:18:30 pm »
Hi everyone,
Today was my 24th wedding anniversary and also my 6 month follow-up appointment.  I am happy to report that according to the wonderful Dr. Megerian, I am doing really well.  Although I had lots of questions (read:complaints) he reassured me, spent time with me and I left feeling pretty happy.  Yes, I have issues to deal with and no one really knows what will be permanent, but things are slowly getting better so at least I feel I'm headed in the right direction.  I remain grateful for the outstanding medical care I've received, and for this forum, which feeds my soul.  I feel I've come such a long way from the terrified person I was in the beginning of this adventure, to the person I am now.  Thanks for listening and for those of you just starting the journey, the light at the end of the tunnel is always in sight.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: 6-month follow-up appt.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:30:43 pm »
WoNdEfUl Marci, just fabulous!! there is not a better way to start the year!!!

Happy anniversary, too! wow 24 years seem a lot for me (my parents had their 25 anniversary in 2008), and look at me, i still haven;t started to count them!!  ;D

x
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:02:41 pm »
Marcy-

While I continue to regret what brought you here to this forum, I continue to also be grateful that you are here.  You are a constant ray of sunshine and I am happy to know you!

Congratulations on 24 years - and on a reasonably good 6-month report card!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:29:36 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Debbi.  I am grateful to have found you as well.  The forum "regulars"; you, Lori, Steve, Phyl, Jan, Jim, LADavid, Kay, and others were all so welcoming and CALM when I first posted.  I don't think I would have coped half as well without the support and the invaluable information I received. It really was a giant cyber hug.  I remember reading many posts late into the night (it wasn't like I was sleeping anyway) and feeling overwhelmed and terrified.  On the other hand, here were all these great people dealing with various issues, but they were living their lives. It's still what keeps me optimistic when I'm feeling sorry for myself.
Best,
M
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:03:11 pm by MAlegant »
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:52:09 pm »
Glad to hear your appt went well and that Dr M was there to answer all your questions. I seem to remember a visit about 4 mo post op that I went in with guns blazing and a list of questions(complaints) a mile long. He patiently answered them all. I think he likes to see his post op patients more than most docs but I appreciate it.

Stay strong as you continue to adjust to your new normal and hope for continued recovery......
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 06:28:06 pm »
Congrats on both the 24 years and the 6-month report!  As I've found out the hard way, progress comes SLOW in many areas.  I've said it before, we all learn patience if nothing else through all of this.

Congratulations on two positive things!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »

Congratulations ,Marci, on your two good news items!  You are such a positive force on this forum, providing humor and strength in equal doses.    I am so pleased that you got a good report, and that you and your sweetie are still going strong 24 years later!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 06:58:53 pm »
Marci~
I'm glad that today brought you good things!  I know it is LONG & SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW but it makes us such better people (that is what I keep telling myself anyway!)

Snaps for you!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:41:50 pm »
I know it is LONG & SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW but it makes us such better people

Is that the marriage or the AN recovery?  :D

I am happy for you, Marci. Good news.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:22 pm »
The only answer is....both!!
Thanks Steve,
Marci

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:27:06 pm »
Way to go my surgery sister!!!  Kisses to you and your husband.  Marriage is HARD work and the pay cheque is so rewarding.  My 24 anniversay was Sept 08, a few months before you. 

Now for your 6 month follow up, I happy you are doing so well.  A big hug from me to you.

Anne Marie

PS Remember in Italy when you greet people, you kiss on both cheeks.  ENJOY 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »
Marci ~

On the occasion of your 24th wedding anniversary and your positive six-month follow-up exam, I offer you a hearty 'Well Done'! :()  You've progressed from the typically anxious 'newbie' you described to a confident and valuable member of this forum; helping, encouraging and comforting others as you continue your journey to normalcy.  Your kudos to others as well as your own significant contributions are much appreciated.   May your recovery remain positive and your talents continue to grace our little corner of the internet. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »
Marci:

6 months already? Bet you thought you'd never reach this milestone? I congratulate you on your success in this long and difficult journey.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 05:09:07 pm »
Happy Anniversary!!!
It is so nice when a doctor will take the time to ease your anxiety. I remember feeling so lost and alone after my surgery and it was my ENT who summed it up for me and made me feel tons better. She said "You have every right to feel the way you are feeling. You want to put this whole mess behind you but how can you when you are dealing with complications from your surgery?" It was that very moment I felt like "Hey she's right". It is okay to have the occasional pity party then move on.  ;D
Oh I can hear it now ... easier said then done. I understand, I have been there and like Marci said there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If you are on watch and wait or have just recieved the news or have just gone through surgery/radiation it is harder to see. It will come, give it time. It just might be hard to see at this moment.

Marci I am so happy to have someone as kind and caring as you on this forum. I appreciate you! This forum has been a valuable piece of my recovery so I can appreciate how you feel.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 05:12:09 pm »
Hi Marci -
Happy 24th Anniversary and congratulations a a wonderful 6 month check up.  I know this hasn't been an easy thing for you to go through and that you still struggle with many issues.  I'm so happy for you that things are looking up though and that you found this forum.  I have to agree that this forum feeds the soul.  It's very comforting to know we are not alone in what we are going through and there is nothing like a kindred spirit to commisserate with.  I hope things improve even more for you in the very near future.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!