Author Topic: Here we go again - infection returns  (Read 1726 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Here we go again - infection returns
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:12:44 pm »
I am so frustrated!!!  I am almost 8 weeks post op.  At 4 weeks, I developed a staph infection and went back in the hospital for 4 days and sent home with a PICC line and mega antibiotics.  My wonderful husband has been caring for this wound in back of my head since we left from the hospital - last night he saw signs of infection again.  We called the neurosurgeon today and I"m to get bloodwork and see him in his office on Monday. 

I am so tired of this - just when I thought the worst was over, there is something else.   I really need to get back to work - there's a lot happening!!!!  (although I know that I shouldn't be thinking about that.)  How in the world does one cope?????!!!  Does anyone know what I can expect now??????  This is making me lose my mind! 

Kathy

(Other than this, I am feeling pretty good overall...and no more headaches!)
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Here we go again - infection returns
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:37:40 pm »
H Kathy:  I know these setbacks are annoying, to say the least,  but you've got to take care of AN issues 1st,  no way around it.
This will eventually all get better,  just hang in there,  take a slow deep breath in & out,  & keep a peaceful heart through this ordeal.
I know how you feel about work,  I thank God everyday I have a job to go to when so many are without work,  but taking care of yourself comes 1st.

Continued healing my friend,  it is a rough road right now,  but things will get better.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:48:16 pm »
Ugh!  I'm so sorry that you're seeing signs of infection again!  I pray that it's something else!  Someone put a joojoo on the bloodwork stat!  :)

Unfortunately, Nancy is right... It only takes time.  For some, longer than others.  You get to a point where you fight the battles as they come and eventually you look up from the fray and realize their fewer and further between.  I know what you mean about things going on at work without you.  I was technically "off" but I kept my laptop nearby and regularly checked my email while I was "off".  I felt out of the loop so I needed to feel like I was back in it.

Glad the headaches are gone.. perhaps that's a sign that it's not really an infection..  *crosses fingers*

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:17:11 pm »
Kathy ~

I'm sorry to learn that you may have another infection and I hope it can be easily treated and will soon be gone. 

All I can advise is that you try to see the positive side of your recovery.  You state that , this new infection aside, you're feeling 'pretty good - and no more headaches.'  O.K., you have to deal with the infection but I would try to focus on the fact that in the 'big picture', your recovery is going pretty well.  I pray it will continue on that track and quite soon, this 'bump in the road' (infection) will be a fading memory as your life goes on, hopefully to better things.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 08:58:30 am »
Oh Kathy - my heart is with you.  It was bad enough having one go-around with an infiection and picc line, but I can't imagine how discouraging if must be to facing it again.  Try to keep looking forward and let us know what we can do, okay?

Debbi, your sister in picc-hood
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:59:58 am »
Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear that you infection might be back, how awful for you.  I hope when you see the neurosurgeon on Monday he will be able to figure out why this happened again and help you put an end to it once and for all.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:08:22 pm »
Kathy,
I definitely feel your pain!  I did the PICC line for 2 weeks for meningitis that came 8+ weeks after surgery, and that also included  a second hospital stay.  Then, not quite two weeks after I got the PICC line out, I got head to foot hives.  They don't know if it is the medication I was on or if there was a food allergy involved.  I'm tired of itching, but I remain headache free and that is a huge bonus.  If I can navigate through my day w/out headaches, then I guess I can wait out the hives, as annoying and ugly as they are.  I have been going into the classroom for partial days, but am not quite ready to take over from my long term sub.  It is very frustrating. :-[

Hang in there.  It is hard to take the setbacks, but know that many of us have gone and are still going through the same things. Keep us posted on your progress and vent all you want to!  We will keep our fingers crossed that this will not warrant another PICC line.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 01:36:11 am »
Kathy -

all I can say is damn, damn, damn  >:(

Sorry about infection #2.

Keep your chin up; this too shall pass.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 06:00:36 am »
Hi Kathy,

I am so sorry to hear about your infection #2....  But it sounds like you are keeping on top of things, and have your wonderful husband to help you!
So i am thinking good thoughts for you this week, sending those 'good vibrations' for a definitive blood work up.

Take care - and hopefully this bump in the road will be gone quickly.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 02:56:29 pm »
Hi Kathy,
I'm sorry you're going through this.  Remember though that you are only 8 weeks out...still early days.   There have been several people that have suffered post-op infections and so at least you know there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm wishing you good healing.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 07:40:27 am »
Thanks guys!  I will carry these good vibes with me to Cincinnati this afternoon, and will give you and update (quite possibly accompanied with more questions) when I can. 
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!