Author Topic: weight loss, weight gain?  (Read 6545 times)

Clifton

weight loss, weight gain?
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:07:54 am »
hey,

im about to have my surgery on sept. 14th.

i am 6'1 and 240 lbs. i am trying to lose as much weight as i can before surgery but i want to know, has anyone experienced any dramatic weight loss or weight gain AFTER surgery?

some dramatic weight loss would be nice  :P
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

satman

Re: weight loss, weight gain?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:19:42 am »
hi clifton, i had my surgery in april,i was 237 going in,during surgery
i had gained 30 lbs in a 17 1/2 surgery,after i woke up from a 3 day comma and after 15 days in hospital[post-op] i was moved
by ambulance to a rehab center for about a month.when i escaped i was at 211 lbs.
know i am back up to 220.
depending on how long your surgery is and the amount of swelling from fluids,you will probably
go up and down.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:21:44 am »
After surgery , I did lose about 15 pounds ..  mainly from lack of eating for a week .. but did gain it back quickly ...  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:24:23 am »
I had surgical complications and lost 40 pounds after my surgery. I have since gained about 15 back.
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 12:47:53 pm »
Yeah, I would say that the weight loss after surgery thing is pretty temporary for most people. I didn't have surgery, but that's just my general opinion.  Anyway..my only comment, Clifton, is to encourage you to eat healthy after your surgery. Well...we're supposed to be eating healthy ALL the time, right? ;)  Anyway, make sure you eat your good grains, fruit and veggies and lay off the junk food.  It will just help your system better and won't gum up the works...so to speak.   You might not even feel like eating much...so maybe get some of those healthy milk shakes to have on hand because maybe that will be all you'll feel like eating. Or make your own healthy smoothies.  Just a thought!!   

Good luck Clifton!  I'll be thinking about you.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 01:22:20 pm »
Clifton.  Did you ever hear that people who are in love, gain weight at first?

Seriously,
You will probably not want a lot of chewing food for a while post op.  You should not try to go without food though (as in dieting)  To heal, a person needs quality proteins (go lean on the red meat),  lots of clear fluids, and fresh air each day.  The body needs to throw off the by products from anesthesia and drugs for post op swelling.

Sorry to bring this up now but heck, when does one get to say the bad stuff?...
A tip for posters who have surgery:  Take every stool softener the nurses present to you.  Take the envelope of these meds home and use them up daily until you know you don't need any more.  Mom says so! ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:28:51 pm by Boppie »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 01:33:29 pm »
Clifton.  Did you ever hear that people who are in love, gain weight at first?

thanks Boppie... can I use this excuse with my newlywed spouse? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 02:06:42 pm »
Hi, Clifton:

I lost over 30 pounds in the six months prior to my surgery, mostly due to the steady loss of 'taste' (from the AN pressing on the 7th nerve - that controls taste) and subsequent loss of appetite.  Fortunately, although not a large person, I was able to shed the pounds safely, although I was probably at the bottom end of my 'normal' weight range.  14 months later and I've only gained about 5 pounds back...and I eat whatever I want, to my dieting wife's chagrin.  My PCP said this sometimes happens after major surgery...something about hormones being 're-arranged' and affecting the metabolic rate.  Because I was relatively slender all my life and only started gaining weight - and a 'gut' - after I was in my 50's, my newfound flat stomach is much welcomed and I'm determined to keep it!

Unfortunately, I can't claim any of my experience will apply to you.  You'll probably lose some weight while in the hospital, but not that much.  However, you asked about 'dramatic' weight gain/loss before or after AN surgery , so I thought I would offer my experience, even if it may not have a lot of relevance for you.  Losing weight isn't usually easy but if you lose any in the hospital, use that as motivation to keep going until you reach your healthy, desired weight.  Cut out junk food and definitely eat smaller portions.  I do, and this has helped to keep the weight off. 

You have our prayers for your upcoming surgery on September 14th.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 05:11:05 pm »
Sorry to bring this up now but heck, when does one get to say the bad stuff?...
A tip for posters who have surgery:  Take every stool softener the nurses present to you.  Take the envelope of these meds home and use them up daily until you know you don't need any more.  Mom says so! ;D

No kidding!  The constipation from the narcotics was a killer for me, despite doing everything right (the right foods, stool softeners, etc.).  Do whatever you can to minimize that discomfort!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Clifton

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 05:41:51 pm »
if i can lose 30 lbs i'd be ECSTATIC!  ;D
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 06:59:09 pm »
I put on 15-20 lbs post op over a period of about a year from lack of exercise due to post-op headache complications. 4 1/2 years LATER, it's finally gone. Every last ounce. Back down to fighting weight again. 120 and still losing!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 07:31:13 pm »
120 and still losing!

Capt Deb 8)

...and to think, I use to love you... 120 lbs.... oy.  :'( I wish....
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jeanlea

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 08:43:38 pm »
Captain Deb, how did you do it??  I lost about ten pounds during my week in the hospital, but then I went on the "I just had major surgery and can eat anything I want" diet.  I do not recommend it.  I'm running two miles a day most days and still am having trouble losing weight. 

Clifton, good luck with your surgery.  Concentrate on eating healthy foods both before and after surgery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:52:16 am »
Unfortunately, I gained a lot of weight from the decadron and all  the  hormone issues. Have been trying to lose but not a pound has left since surgery.  >:(

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 04:44:30 pm »
I yo-yo'd...lost 10 after surgery then gained 20 with the fine cuisine my mom was feeding me to "make it all better".  Lived with that for 6 months, then went on Weight Watchers and lost it.  It's tough, there's a lot of more important issues to deal with at first, just know that either way it probably won't be earth shattering, and you can deal with whatever it is when you get to it.  And if you lose and keep it off...if that's what you need then all the better!  Good luck!!!

Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar