Author Topic: The Race to Recovery  (Read 14512 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: The Race to Recovery
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 03:09:19 pm »
David -

your motivation is incredible!  I'm still trying to get out of the house to walk around the block on a regular basis   ::)

I'll have to start following your very good example and get myself in gear!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 04:05:57 pm »
Hey CindyJ

My all-time favorite Half Marathon was the Atlanta Half on Thanksgiving Day -- although the last time I ran it, the weather was frigid (20 degrees for all of you Northerners who are snickering).  The great thing about that race is that after buring off all those calaries, you can eat whatever you want on TDay and not have to worry about a thing.  We always stopped for a Shoney's breakfast buffet on the way home.

If you like running Half Marathons, you should look into it. It starts on Peachtree in Chamblee and goes all the way into downtown and then curves off to Turner Field.  The Atlanta Track Club runs it.

And Jan and Phyl -- as far as being an inspiration - I'm glad if that is an outcome -- the truth is that I have been brain-numbingly bored all Winter being copped up and this is a way to get out and get my sanity back.  If I can't have my face back when I want it, at least I'm going to get my brain back.  My daughter and I are in this together,  I'll keep you posted on our progress.  This is the link to the race.  Beautiful course over to the Queen Mary then along the ocean.
http://www.runlongbeach.com/site5.aspx

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

cindyj

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 07:58:45 pm »
Thanks, David, I'll keep that Thanksgiving one in mind - you do never know about the weather around here...My training has become almost non-existent with this AN surprise and other health issues, but I must get back to the pavement if I hope to do the 3-Day in October...and I do hope to do it.

How long ago did you live in Atl?

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

LADavid

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2008, 08:42:07 pm »
Hey Cindy

I lived in Stone Mountain, Buckhead, and Woodstock -- 1976 - 1990.

Brookhaven -- 2000-2001.   As you know, there was a huge change in all that time.  If you know it, I was a Northpoint regular.  I miss that part of the city  Someday I want to write about its heydays in the 80's.  It was an amazing city.  I ran the Peachtree Roadrace last summer -- my 20th time.  It brought back great memories.

Looks like the city is moving out your way.

Hope y'all on the forum will forgive us for digressin' a bit.

David

1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

cindyj

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 03:19:45 pm »
Yes, the city has definitely invaded us wait out here in Forsyth...we're feeling rather civilized now.  Wow, 20 P'tree Roadraces! 

Ok, ok, we'll get back to AN topics...
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

LADavid

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2008, 12:22:37 am »
Yes, the city has definitely invaded us wait out here in Forsyth...we're feeling rather civilized now.  Wow, 20 P'tree Roadraces! 

Ok, ok, we'll get back to AN topics...

And still have T-Shirts going back to 1979.  Ever run it?  If you haven't, you should.  It's one of the great fittness celebrations in this country. 55,000 runners who can run 6 miles.  There is nothing like it for a runner.  Gayle Baron is a friend of mine and an inspiration and the winner of the first few Ptrees not to mention a Boston Marathon.   She was a running pioneer.  Last I heard, she was living somewhere near you.

OK, now back to AN topics.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Jeanlea

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 03:25:46 pm »
Hey David,

Good luck on your training for the half-marathon.  I know you'll be able to do it.  During my half-marathon I was thinking about the advice you gave me.  Keep the same pace and do it one step at a time.  It was good advice.  Your time in the 3K has got me motivated to get faster.  This past week I ran 3K in 32:51 and then with my friend in 32:10.  My previous time was closer to 38 minutes.  Today I was out running my 3 miles and my son came running up behind me.  He convinced me to add an extra mile through a cool path.  We came out on a hill in a field behind our house.  It was a fun run.  I was pleased to hear him say that I'm running faster now than in the fall.   I think all the running is good for my face.  Keeps the blood moving there.  Have fun with your training.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

LADavid

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2008, 08:26:06 pm »
Good going, Jean.  Those times are a huge improvement.  And you added an extra mile becuase you wanted to!

My daughter and I started our half-marathon training this week by running three miles along the ocean.  We're running an 11 minute mile pace fro the Half.  So that's what we're training at.  Next weekend is 4 miles.  We're increasing a little at a time.  Ten miles doesn't happen until August.

Keep up the good work.  Any more races planned?

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2008, 05:13:40 am »
There was a local 6k Cancer walk yesterday that the bloke and I and the team of 15 did to help raise money for cancer work being done locally. 2 courses.... one was 3k, one was 6k.  I did the 3k with the bloke by my side for assistance..... was a great morning (weather wise) and we raised some awesome money.  2nd yr I've done this walk... it felt great.  Although I follow in the realm for the need for this walk (as many here know), it felt great to be able to do something for those that are in situations tougher than me.  All in all, a great feeling, a great day and I'm ready for next yr's walk.  I also want to that those here that sponsored us for the walk and know that we walked with each and every one of you in mind.  :-*

I encourage all here to do what they can to participate in walks/runs/rides to the best of your abilities.  My abilities are no longer numerous, but what it does for the soul is immeasurable.  I know there are brain tumor walks that go on around the county (I think it was last year or year before that many of us supported shoegirl in her efforts in doing the AZ brain tumor walk sponsored by the NBTS)......and I enourage all here to reach out to others that may be in tougher shape than we.

Congrats to all those that give of the hearts, the wallet, the physical in doing such events....  It's a feeling worth experiencing if you can.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2008, 06:25:45 am »
Way to Go, Phyl!!   ;D   Let me know next time you do something and we will sponser you too!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2008, 06:41:18 am »
Congrats, Phyl, and well put (as usual) - yes, there is nothing quite like participating in an event of that kind.  It is so good for your soul, as well as your body, not to mention the obvious good it does for the causes they support.  Will keep a lookout for a brain tumor walk/run.  As I said earlier in this thread (I think) I really do hope to once again do the Breast Cancer 3-Day in October...I'm thinking this AN can just wait a bit longer.

Hope everyone has a good week!
feeling great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2008, 06:51:21 am »
Way to Go, Phyl!!   ;D   Let me know next time you do something and we will sponser you too!!

Ditto  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2008, 08:15:07 pm »
It's been a busy week.  On Tuesday, I met with the Social Security Administration and started my permanent disability process.  It was confusing to say the least.  I did get a little coaching the night before from a good friends wife who works with an attorney that represents SSA claims.  Hopefully it will pay off because...I got the news from the Physical Therapist on Thursday that my face recovery will take 18 months to 2 years.  So it looks like acting and print work is going to take a hiatus.  I'll keep you all posted on the disability thing for those of you who are pursuing that option.  I'd rather be working but if I can't...

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2008, 08:26:14 pm »
David -

glad to hear you started the social security process.  I hope it goes quickly and smoothly.

Any more thoughts on pursuing your writing career?  IMO you have a great future ahead of you as an author  :)

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2008, 09:06:47 pm »
Once again, I agree with Jan (on the writing thing)!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!