Author Topic: Sonus with over 30 hearing aids to choose from  (Read 6315 times)

Palace

• Palace
Sonus with over 30 hearing aids to choose from
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:42:29 pm »
Hello Everyone:

I had my annual hearing test the other day.  I must say that seeing the small mini hearing aid at the clinic, I was quite impressed how nice and tiny it is.  I understand I will have to wear it most of the time for 2-3 months for the brain to adjust.  I most likely will get a single unit for my functioning ear to save it from further declining.  It doesn't stop the aging process we all suffer but, it will slow the process of a steep decline, so I'm told.  I talked with Stanford today, my audiologist, my ENT and a second audiologist I used this year.  I will stay with my original doctor and audiologist yet, the equipment seemed more modern at the second place I visited.  It has been almost two years since I was tested and my results are close to the same as the last test of Oct. 2009.  I'm having much difficulty with the hearing issues to the point of becoming more of a recluse.  It just isn't worth going out anymore.  I have an important art opening coming up for myself with a huge mailing list.  I will probably get the smallest hearing aid from Phonak and by the time of the event, I'll have two months of use behind my ear.  (and in it!)   I'm no exception---my insurance only pays $1,000. towards the single piece that cost around $3,500. 

I was also informed today that BAHA is my other choice.  I'm not feeling comfortable with BAHA as a consideration for me.

http://www.phonak.com/com/b2c/en/products/hearing_instruments/audeo_mini/overview.html

Does anyone have something to add to this thread for me?  I've been "out of the loop" of this forum for a long while.

Thank-you,

Palace
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:22:47 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Paul F

Re: Sonus with over 30 hearing aids to choose from
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:51:32 am »
I just switched back from a BAHA Intenso to a Phonak Cros/Bi-Cros set up.  I love the new Cros system and it is fairly small.  I no longer hear all those amplified background sounds that block out what I really want to hear.  This is a new addition to Phonak and they have come a long way.  It included Bluetooth for the telephone and TV.  Nice.  I have no idea about the cost of this set-up since it was provided by the VA.

Paul

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:23:15 pm »
Thank you Paul F. for the input.

I contacted someone I know and here is some of their information feedback:

One minute I had no stereo sound abilities, pop, the next I did! Can't really understand speech with it of course as it is in my BAD ear, but it does help with directionality.

My friend uses a Phonak but much bigger than the audeo, so the bit in the ear is much larger. That means that this person can get allergies much more easily than with the audeo.  Unfortunately this friends hearing in the bad ear is not good enough for a smaller unit like the audeo.

I'm having major work in my yard this summer and did more remodeling in my home so, I don't know when at this point that I'll be able to purchase a hearing aid for "my good ear."

I was told to get it in 10-12 more months at the latest so my good hearing won't make a fast decline without the help.  (If this is true that I'm in dire straits if I don't get this aid)

Were any of you people told this by your audiologist and or ENT doctor?

Thanks for the help,

Palace

single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:21:30 pm »
Hello:

I just got a call from Stanford ENT and they will compare the last two hearing results and tell me if indeed this is the route for me.  (see above)

I was told it's a CA. law that I have 45 days to test the hearing aid with no charge. 

Interesting at Sonus, I was informed it takes 3 months for the brain to adjust and see if the hearing aid will be beneficial for most people.

It's alway good to do as much research as possible before jumping into something blinded.

Standford ENT will call me next week with their view after consulting with Dr. Blevins.

If I were to go for the trial period then I'd make it nearer my art opening to test the hearing aid with many people contact, background noise and live music.  I do own musicians ear plugs as well.

Please feel free to post to my topic if you have any further comments.

I heard from another AN friend and he is on vacation so, he too will be in contact with me.  He is wearing his hearing aid five hours a day.

Thanks again,

Palace
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:23:50 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:13:22 pm »
 8)

I'm still waiting---Stanford called today and received my results of my last test from my original ENT.  They now have the paperwork from the audiologist testing from 1.5 year ago to show Dr. Blevins.  He will be in clinic tomorrow and they should get back with me hopefully, tomorrow as planned.  It will be interesting to find out if Dr. Blevins feels a hearing aid for my good ear would "indeed help me from taking a severe hearing-dive with the help from a Phonak."  Stanford is good about trying to keep in constant communication.

Palace
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:15:35 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:40:46 pm »
I saw this on a new thread and found it very interesting and will include it in my thread so it doesn't get lost along the way.   Tweety, this is some of the information I too have been looking for.  In other words, does this really work out?  I know it's different for each individual but, will follow your thread on the Phonik/audeo cross aids. 

RE:

Tweety wrote...
Well today I embarked on the hearing aid world.  I got my two Phonik/audeo cross aids.  It is just new to me but I was amazed how clearly I could hear conversation when I placed my phone next to my bad ear and heard all the conversation clearly in my left (good ear)   They said I have one month to decide if I want to keep them.  I have weddings and vacation ahead of me and thought these events would be a great test to see how it works.  I did not qualify for the sound bite as I have some hearing in my right ear but not useful hearing.  Just another adventure done the road of AN recovery!!!!!!!!!  My family keeps asking why I waited so long to try these but I just guess I always thought the hearing would come back.  It just never did.  Well will post after vacation to let you know how I feel about these new devices.  I can say they do not bother my ears at all in fact you don't even know they are in your ears.  Tweety
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 10:35:06 am »
Good Morning Patient People:   ???

A patient will usually will get a call from Stanford at the very end of the day.  This morning I got an awakening call at 8:00 AM!

My word recognition score shows 30% higher in my good ear than the almost two years ago testing.  (each done with different yet similar equipment and a different audiologist)

My AN ear is 100% dead for word recognition.

My options are:

Soundbite hearing system

http://www.sonitusmedical.com/product/soundbite-in-detail.cfm

Baha

http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

Of course I could go the other route of a couple other former and older options.

The bottom line from all the information I gathered so far is with the hearing help, the left ear gains volume.

I will let it go for a while and perhaps get tested again early next year. 

Science advances and we all age, losing natural hearing loss which can't be avoided.

A long time ago I began to learn "sign language" and it was rather fun at first.  Now, I'd have to refresh that.

:o   ::)   ;)  Thank-you for your views and any further information to my thread.

Palace

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:04:26 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:13:02 pm »
Hello Everyone:

I spoke with someone today that took the test with an audiologist and this person has a much worse score/decline "in both ears" than I.  (complete loss of high frequency)  This person doesn't have an AN that I know of and lost hearing from their job.  (and lifestyle)  He will most likely have a hearing aid in both ears.  This person should have next to perfect hearing for his age.  I should also if I didn't have the AN.  My good ear is nearly perfect.  That doesn't help much as background noise and a dead right ear for me, keeps me away from socializing.  I was subjected to the high whine from a dental drill during my career.

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:27:03 pm »
Hi AN Family,

I was just ready to post a more detailed entry and it went away.

I'll make this even shorter than the first post I wrote.

The place that sells hearing aids downstairs from my ENT doctor has only 1 week trial period on hearing aids unlike Sonus having 45 days.

Stanford told me on the phone that a hearing aid in my good ear would only amp-up the volume.  (that's it!)

What is your experience---any regarding this thread?

Pal
single sided deafness