Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 408661 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26:04 am »
Thanks, K.

I haven't heard of it, but I'll try to check it out later on Amazon.com or something.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2008, 05:14:39 pm »
My first time that I am able to join in the discussion...

If my recollection is correct, Marlena initiated things. She was acting like Tarzan:  holding on to two vines at the same time.   Jacob couldn't resist. Some might answer that it makes him human.  Love is an overpowering emotion and makes normally rational people irrational at points.   

Marlena's "friendship" with Jacob had to influence her interactions with her husband.  There were three people in the relationship...at some points unbenownst to August.  How she viewed him, responded to him, reacted to him, had to be colored by her "euphoria" with Jacob. In an environment that closed, their lunches and interactions surely had to be the talk of the circus. It makes me wonder if they were as "unnoticed" as they thought they were. Gosh they snuck around in different places in the circus.   August's reaction upon returning home and finding them ready to "celebrate" triggered his ugly side.  What was Marlena thinking to invite just Jacob to a surprise party for August?
Cheating would be emotionally painful for anyone. It breaks the trust in a relationship.

Kate

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 05:21:52 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2008, 05:50:20 pm »
The invite was DUMB! I think he knew consciously or subconsciously there was an attraction.

It does take 2 to have the affair. I believe they were both responsible, or should I say irresponsible?  On one side they married in sickness and health but in that period would she have considered his behavior a sickness? Perhaps, she knew on a subconscious level that her dangerous shenanigans would eventually free her of her burden one way or another? Also, I believe the heart can lead some to do things they never would have otherwise.

Mary

Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2008, 06:09:57 pm »
Very good points, Kate & Mary.

I had forgotten that Marlena initiated the relationship and yes, it was dumb to invite Jacob to the surprise dinner for August.
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2008, 07:53:08 pm »
But don't you think that in a way August kind of "pushed" them together?  I kind of figured that was part of his sick mind -- to see how far he could push them together before they would succumb (?) and then blow it...some work like that...Who would invite someone to a dinner and provide them w/ a tux??
Just a thought...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2008, 09:33:17 pm »
A pretty tangled relationship, certainly. :)

First, to answer Jan, I have to say I liked Jacob. Perhaps he was a man of impulse, but that doesn't seem so bad to me. Marlena knocked him over, and all thoughts of what was right or wrong were quickly put aside. He was head over heels in love with her - who thinks straight in that situation?

Besides being mentally ill, so that when he got mad, he went crazy, August could be a charming man, but he was also an egotistical man. I think he had Jacob over for the first dinner just to show off how good he had it, including being married to Marlena. I'm sure he thought he could keep control of the situation.

I guess Marlena was just very unhappy with her situation, and saw Jacob as a way out of it. I don't understand why she invited Jacob to the celebration either. Maybe she wanted to celebrate with someone she liked for a change. She was the one person who could predict that things were going to get ugly sooner or later, but I think she was so tired of life with August, she wanted something to happen.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2008, 05:31:45 am »
What do you think of the title, Water for Elephants?  Did you like it?  Why or Why not?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 05:43:52 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2008, 08:43:58 am »
Good question!

I liked the title because it got your attention right away. Jacob got so upset with the lawyer dude when he said he watered the elephants. I thought 2 things, since he was lying and Jacob was at his core a good guy and the lawyer was getting the ladies attention by false claims. Jacob was jealous because he could have gotten that attention instead.

I also had a fleeting thought that possibly, just possibly this story was all in his head. Jacob took care of Rosie but if it weren't true, the title was telling us that.

I more believe the first reason.

Mary
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2008, 07:07:09 am »
Question.

Does anyone know why Camel felt he couldn't return home? 

I know he mentioned it several times, but I don't recall him giving any particular reason.  Was it because he had abandoned his family? or something else?

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #264 on: May 13, 2008, 10:15:42 am »
Jan~
I wondered that too and thought that it would be revealed, but if it was...I missed it...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:55 am »
I also do not remember why......hmmmmm?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2008, 11:46:53 pm »
So I'm thinking that possibly this book club idea is losing steam  ???

Should we continue this discussion, read another book, or call it a day  ???

I can go in any of these directions. 

Thoughts, please  :)

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #267 on: May 17, 2008, 06:40:21 am »
I was wondering about that too...or least wondering last night about a new question...I like reading the same book and discussing.  I think this is a good group and there could be a LOT of discussion on the right book.  What do you think?  Maybe we should try a couple of other books and see.  It seems like, for the most part, that the ones of us doing it really LIKE to read and DO read a LOT (Jan, I know you are super busy).  The end of  May is always REALLY crazy for me trying to wrap up the school year and also I have had company for a week now so I think things would be different for me in a couple of days...

Just things to think about...

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2008, 11:53:05 am »
I'm with K. I doesn't matter if we take little breaks now and then, this is for fun, not a grade. Some books can be good reading, but just not have much to discuss. That's okay, and if we keep going, we might stumble onto a book that generates a lot of interesting discussion. If not, well we just read some more good books. We can't lose.

So lets take a week or so to hunt around for some likely candidates, and then try another one. As with most things AN related, we just have to be patient!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #269 on: May 17, 2008, 01:18:16 pm »
Hi all,

I am with Steve and Kay. I enjoy this even though this is a crazy time of year for many, we are doing it for fun and those of us not able to participate here and there can catch us with the next one.

I know I have CK at the beginning of next month but that shouldn't keep me from reading. BUT in July and August the grandkids come for 2 months and after that we have a long RV trip to Nevada California Oregon and a bit of Washington. So after first of July time frame I will probably not participate until fall, but that doesn't mean I don't think things should continue. ;D I just started John Adams and I have The Thirteenth Tale. I liked Pillars of the Earth, Kite Runner, Secret Lives of Bees....hmmm all I can think of today but I am sure we can find something.

Jan, you are getting your processor soon, are you getting excited? I have been wondwering about you.

Hugs to all, ;D

Mary