Author Topic: Decadron Warning (steroids)  (Read 13589 times)

Kilroy1976

Re: Decadron Warning (steroids)
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 11:56:18 am »
But you see Phyl, if you look up the possible side-effects of aspirin, you'll find the following:

· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
      · black, bloody, or tarry stools;
      · nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain;
      · uncontrolled fever;
      · blood in your urine or vomit;
      · decreased hearing or ringing in the ears;
      · seizures; or
      · dizziness, confusion, or hallucinations.
      · heartburn or indigestion,
      · faint ringing in the ears,
      · drowsiness, or
      · headache.
 Ã¢â‚¬Â¢  Side effects other than those listed here may also occur.

Most of these are also side-effects of Decadron, but they are HARDLY comparable drugs. A doctor or pharmacist should be able to tell you whether a drug is more like aspirin or more like Decadron. Reading the list simply doesn't cut it.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 01:30:24 pm »
The only side-effects I had from the decadron was increased appetite--I was at Seton Hall, the guesthouse run by the House Ear clinic where you can stay for a few weeks after they release you from St. Vincents. All the ANers eat in the dining hall together every night--which is really nice.  I tried to eat my weight in mashed potatoes every night.  The docs sure didn't keep me on the stuff for very long post-op--maybe 10 days.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kilroy1976

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 01:41:52 pm »
Boy, you lucked out then Cap'n. Happy to hear it! ;) I was also happy when that gent posted that, after he lost his hearing following radiosurgery, Decadron partially restored it. It's good to know that it's not completely evil.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 04:40:03 pm »
Decacrapola, is like most other "serious" drugs in that if you have nothing wrong wih you, no allergic reactions to anything, not pregnant, then i think the drugs are usually fine. Its interesting, a lot of these types of drugs have side effects the same as what they are treating. I take neurontin for my headaches and one of its side effects is headaches - get a life drug companies!

Decadron is used for cancer, ms and heavy stuff like that so how the drug can hone in on an individual problem is beyond me. Its one of those real unfortunate things I guess.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2006, 12:29:18 pm »
thanks Kilroy... oh, I agree... maybe my upbringing around PapaPearl or whatever but for me (and only me), I take all notation of "side affects" very carefully, but maybe as an eternal optimist, I try to keep the positive benefits over the negative in mind and in the case of decacrap, I know it's only temp.  So, for this Rx and my use, I personally can deal with the adverse reactions knowing I'm off the crap next week.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 10:25:21 pm »
You know as with any drug the side affects are complied by testers who had listed that as a problem...I wonder if one person said they had stomach upset if it makes the list or if 100 out of a 100 complained it makes the list?  Hmm..food for thought.

Susan

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 05:25:30 pm »
I used Decadron after my surgery while I was in the hospital for a week. Did have trouble sleeping. Expected that. I felt pretty good until it finally left my system. Then I felt terrible. The Decadron actually makes you feel alot better because it keeps the swelling down, ect. It is a powerful medicine, though. I seemed to have more problems with Prednisone.

While I was in the hospital I saw things sideways or upside down, but that was not from the Decadron, that was from my balance nerve being removed. Because of the shape of your cortex, what you see enters your brain upside down and your brain puts it right side up by using different cues from your body. Your balance being one of those cues. For quite awhile the world looked like I was seeing the recording from a shaky video camera. Took a few months to get over that. I am doing great now. Back in college.
Small AN removed by Middle Fossa July 2005. Balance nerve removed. Hearing somewhat damaged. Other than that, doing great.