Author Topic: Tentative Surgery Date Set at House/St. Vincent  (Read 3732 times)

lrobie

Tentative Surgery Date Set at House/St. Vincent
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:21:38 pm »
Hi All,

After a few phone calls and emails, I have tentatively scheduled my surgery at House/St. Vincent for July 18th.  I finally heard back from the insurance contact at House.  Everything was good there.  Then she tells me that St. Vincent and the anesthesiologist bill you separately, so I could check to make sure they take BC/BS if I wanted to.  Tried to call St. Vincent's and after being transferred a few times, either the person hung up on me or we were disconnected.  I gave up.  I'm just hoping that they will accept my insurance.

I'm sure I'm going to have even more questions now.  Oh, I just thought of one.  How will I know when to schedule my flight home?  Does the post-op appointment get scheduled as well?  Okay, that's two questions.   ;D

I'm actually feeling very good about my decision.  I know now that I will be waiting 2 1/2 months, but that will just give me more time to prepare.

I want to thank all of you for your input and answers to my questions.  It has truly helped me to get through this.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Tentative Surgery Date Set at House/St. Vincent
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:31:05 pm »
Hi Lisa .....

So glad you have made your decision and the ball is rolling for a July 18th surgery date.  Usually a tremendous weight is lifted when you know the what/where/when.  Hope so for you, at least.

I was told to schedule my flight home no sooner than 10 days post-op, but they also assured me they had the necessary airline forms to complete in the unlikely event we needed to postpone our return.  We flew home 11 days post-op with no problems.  Typically at HEI your post-op visit with your doctor for stitch removal is day 7 or 8 and they schedule that for you.  No other follow-up is generally recommended or needed until one year post-op.  Dr. Friedman told me they would contact me to remind me I needed an MRI and audiogram.  I simply had to call them to send the orders and have both done locally and send CD and audiogram results to him ..... no need for another trip to LA.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

New girl

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »
Hi Lisa,

Congrats on making a decision!  ;D ;D ;D  If I lived on the west coast I would have definately gone there for surgery.  Best wishes!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 05:37:04 pm »
Hi Lisa
Waiting is the hardest part. They take BC/BS they will call you later to explain deductibles etc.
After surgery when you get released from the hospital is when you call to make your post op appointments. They will remind you on your post hospital paperwork.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Archer

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:57 pm »
Lisa,
I am just out of St. Vincent this week.  All went well.  Just so you know, I called my Insurance Rep prior to coming out here to House to ask if the Dr., the Hospital, and Anesthesiologist were participants in Blue Cross insurance.  They answered all my questions and only took 5 minutes.  They were a great help.  You may want to call them.  They will want you to understand all that is involved in the process.

Good luck,  I have now been through two surgeries for ANs and will swear the House Dr.s are the best.  You can't find better.  You will be in good hands.

Rich

lrobie

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:28:38 pm »
Rich,

So glad to hear things went well with your decompression surgery.  That's what it was, correct?  I will make the call to my insurance company tomorrow.  That would have probably saved me the frustration of trying to get the answers from the facilities.

Good luck on your journey to wellness.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:17:50 am »
G'day Lisa

Just popped in to wish you luck and best wishes.  You 'sound' so positive and upbeat and that's a bonus while waiting.

Cheers,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12