Author Topic: Alfred e. Newman (What me worry?)  (Read 5417 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Alfred e. Newman (What me worry?)
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »
Hi everyone,  (especially newbies!)

I grew up in the 60's and the comic magazine of the times was Mad  magazine, remember? The main character's name was Alfred E. Newman (he seemed to represent everyman) . Did you note his initials (AN)? He seemed a happy-go-lucky kind of individual thrust into the middle of cold war scenarios. He seemed to have not a care in the world. Most of us, before our AN diagnosis would fit into that category surely. Now everyone worries (about our collective diagnoses) it seems!

Calm down, step back (extremely hard to do because how can you step back from something that is inside you growing), catch your breath and breathe normally. This forum is full of information that hopefully will restore our "sense of  impirical balance" even if we must because of  the symptoms, lose our real sense of balance one day and hopefully return us to that blissful state of mind that we all long for the sense of "what me worry?"  There are much larger issues like world peace, global warming, economic survival, deforestation, losing the ozone layer, poverty, lack of adequate health care etc...etc....

Stop for a minute.....This is your bodies way of saying" hey, you out there! Pay attention to me too!" Now is your time to take time and pay attention to your bodies. It is a signal to slow down! Now is your chance, take a health break!

Most of you must be saying"Let me get back to my old normal it was more comfortable for me! " There will be time enough for the macro issues they can wait!

This site was created for all of us to help each other adjust to our "new normal" with less than we had before and some how come out better for it.

You newbies have found a wonderful support group here! This forum didn't exist (for me) until a short time ago. Before that, as far back as 1995, I was having symptoms that all started with falling out of the shower and breaking 3 ribs.  I ignored this and many other symptoms.Even still, I had not come here with a worry until my rejoining with a regrowth issue in 2012 (I had already had had surgery in 2004 with Dr. Sisti).

Most unfortunately for me, (in 2004) I chose to panic and put my family into a turmoil that resulted in them becoming distant from me, as I searched high and low for a diagnosis that didn't lead to surgery. It took them quite a while to readjust to the new Mike that emerged. I still have quite a bit of cognitive issues but for the most part I know that I am stronger in having come through it.

Truly, the first time in 2004 (surgery)was quite enough, I am smart enough to know that I am back in 2012 for another reason than merely to defeat a mostly slow growing AN (by one shot radiation or GK), and that purpose is to encourage you all to achieve your highest possible level of healing or to coin an often used phrase to "pay it forward" and to encourage some of you to as well.

All of us are lucky to have found this Forum, it doesn't exist on mere words or encouragement alone, contribute if you can!

Please, I urge you, do not panic! You have the forum to discuss things! Make use of us, together we are strong, together we will help!

All of us have struggle to get back to simpler times of "What me Worry?"

Time to stumble off (but not fall) my soapbox!

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Alfred e. Newman (What me worry?)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:10:44 pm »
Mike ~

I remember this guy, too. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:36 pm »
Mike ~

I remember this guy, too. 

Jim

Jim, thanks for the MissClairol moment.  You now owe me a bottle of Miss Clairol #41G :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MDemisay

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:17:51 pm »
Phyll,

What is a Miss Clairol Moment? Isn't it an early hair color?

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:09:04 am »
Phyll,

What is a Miss Clairol Moment? Isn't it an early hair color?

Mike

Just Phyl's way of saying, thanks for making her feel old.  As in having gray hair - a reference to needing Miss Clairol hair color.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MDemisay

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »
To all:

Too late for me to worry about grey hair! I've already got a lot of it!

I simply restate AN's  (Alfred Newman's) "What me worry?" There are bigger issues!

Good health to everyone!

Mike

Keri

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:31:14 pm »
What a nice post, Mike. Thank you.
And thanks, Jan, for explaining the Clairol joke.. haha. .I didn't get it either. You and Phyl are too funny!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

MDemisay

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 11:56:35 am »
Thanks, Keri,

At times we have to look at things not so seriously.....I find that dealing with things as stressful as this takes patience especially when Doctors are telling you what to do....I can appreciate that they have schedules but, it is up to us the end users to be extremely confident in their combined abilities to treat.

Humor such as naming the AN, slowing down, taking a breather,taking a break from researching 24/7, jumping in the pool, and telling amusing anecdotes to each other is just part and parcel of stress relief.

It helps to be on the other side! Of course, it doesn't take much to lose patience with this AN (or Acoustic Nightmare) and just take whatever is the easiest treatment without doing much research.....I caution those newbies not to take this tack( sailing terminology) thoroughly research all your options.

This is a journey we are all on, there is enough camaraderie here for everyone. Life, I find is too darn short not to see the humorous side.

This site is perfect in that it encourages us to start new threads and speak our minds, I, for one am so thankful for that! Even though at times I get a little too verbose......

Go with God! In HIM I have found my comfort.

Mike