Author Topic: Tinnitus and hearing loss in non-AN ear  (Read 3107 times)

carolk

Tinnitus and hearing loss in non-AN ear
« on: April 12, 2006, 08:27:13 am »
  I'm a "watch and waiter" with a small (4x4x6mm) AN in my RIGHT ear that is totally asymptomatic--thankfully no hearing or balance problems there.  It was only diagnosed "incidentally" because I had an MRI for another reason several years ago.  My last MRI showed that it seemed to be growing very slowly--about 1 mm over the year. 

However I do have marked tinnitus and slight high frequency hearing loss in my LEFT ear.  The doctors can't explain it--they say I probably had noise exposure to the left side that caused the tinnitus and mild hearing loss.   Anyone else have symptoms in their non-AN ear?   

Since my AN ear is my "good" ear, it makes me all the more reluctant to treat it. . .

Danny2006

Re: Tinnitus and hearing loss in non-AN ear
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:35:14 pm »
I have hearing loss and tinnitus in non-AN ear, I am sure it is due to noise. I am in army and deal with lots of noise,  tinnitus is much less in good ear though, barley notice it with all the ringing in left ear...lol. Your docs are more than likely right. My AN is 1cmx8mm. I found it because of dizzyness, i believe that the smaller the better. i just want to get it taken out. too much stress in knowing it is there, so surgery is my choice.  Hope everything goes well for you, However you choose to deal with it.
Danny
10mmx8mm AN (facial nerve neuroma) found Feb. 06
Surgery at House Clinic on 02June06,

millert

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 01:48:05 pm »
Hi Carol, I, too, have hearing loss and a buzzing in my non-AN ear. Unlike you though, I have had my tumor removed and lost the hearing on my right side. It has been very frustrating as well as debillitating. Furthermore I suffer from daily headaches. My docs are at a loss as to the issues with my left ear. My advice to you is find an option that will preserve your AN side hearing. It's hard enough with the single-sided deafness to have those other problems!
Right side AN, removed Dec. 1998 Jackler;Pitts @UCSF,

Frying2Knights

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:05:54 pm »
Hi

I had AN removed left side and the tinnitus that side got worse.  I also have some tinnitus in my good ear which comes and goes.  It's hard to make out against the tinnitus in my deaf ear.  Hearing in my good ear is very good though.  I used to play in a rock group so maybe the noise didn't help!

I too have constant headaches - 2 years post-op.

Best wishes
UK.  1cm AN removed by Translab approach. CSF leak.  Severe headaches.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:07:04 pm »
I lost the hearing in my Left ear and have very loud tinnitus...makes you wonder why no one else can hear it!  I also since my surgery have tinnitus in my good ear which is often overshadowed during the day by the left ear.  You're AN is still small so you have treatment options that should preserve your hearing if treatment is even needed.  I will tell you that I did read that if you have tinnitus in both ears and lose your hearing that cochlear implants can be done to restore your hearing and often elinimates the tinnitus.  I was concerned as I was told I was going deaf in my good ear two months ago. 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 04:10:45 pm »
Hey Fryin'
Welcome to the headache club!  Got a good un goin' meself right now. However--there is hope--I was in bed for the better part of 2 1/2 years post-op, but at about 2 3/4 years, they just sort of started to fade away for the most part.  I still get an occaisional whopper of a migraine, but I finally found a medication that works pretty well--Zomig Nasal spray. Before then I was getting them almost every day.
Mine were diagnosed as migraines because of their one-sidedness, which was usually the AN side.
I'm so much better these days and able to work again.

Hope yours start to fade like mine did!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW