Author Topic: Skin over BAHA abutment  (Read 14190 times)

JerseyGirl2

Re: Skin over BAHA abutment
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 02:07:28 pm »
Interestingly, Dr. Friedman said I did not need to brush it at all, just keep it clean with normal shampooing.  Apparently there is a difference of opinion on care.

This is exactly the same advice (no brushing, just normal shampooing to keep things clean) that I received at House a few years ago.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 05:37:09 pm »
Clarice,
It may be too soon for you to brush your abutment.  It is still very fresh and new.  Perhaps when you are healed further, brushing may be suggested.  Wait and see.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 01:34:04 pm »
Clarice,
It may be too soon for you to brush your abutment.  It is still very fresh and new.  Perhaps when you are healed further, brushing may be suggested.  Wait and see.
~Dale

Totally agree with this.  As time goes on and the skin on the BAHA site heals, using a very soft toothbrush is a good idea.  The key is to not use it too often or too aggressively, which can lead to irritation, which can lead to infection.  Especially if you use hair "products" - spray, mousse, gel - normal shampooing may not remove all the residue and something "stronger" like the toothbrush or even a washcloth is warranted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways