Author Topic: Finding MD's in NYC  (Read 2189 times)

pcontino

Finding MD's in NYC
« on: October 01, 2005, 09:09:50 pm »
I have recently been diagnosed with a 1.2cm AN.  Have seen two physicians in NYC and have gotten different information regarding outcome for saving my facial nerve and hearing.  I have seen Dr. Selesnick at Cornell and Dr. Golfinos at NYU.  How do I know if the outcome percentages are accurate?  Has anyone had personal experience with either of these physicians?  I welcome your comments.

Mary

Re: Finding MD's in NYC
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 05:54:41 am »
Pcon,

One thing I've found to be true.   Doctors will try to sell what they do.   In my opinion You need to research the different ways of treatment yourself.   Find what you are comfortable with.   Then talk over the options with a radial oncologist.   I think they are more versital in the treatments that are out there.

With surgery there are more chances of damage.   Now that depends on the doctor too.   The tumor is very sticky around the nerve where it begins to grow.   The nerve has a sheth around it.   That's where the cells DNA change and the tumor begins to grow.   The nerve it self does not change.   When the doctors pull on the tumor to remove it...That's where the damage can come from.   Like I said before this depends on the doctor and his knowlege of this type of tumor.

Then you have radiation in the form of gamma knife, cyberknife and IMRT.   These are all radiation beams that go thru the brain to the tumor.   Each one deposits different levels of greys ( radiation ) to the tumor and the surounding area.   Depending on where the tumor is and how close it is to the brain stem, makes all the difference on which treatment of radiation you use.   Cyber knife is the newest.   

I hope this helps.  Learn what it's all about.   It's your body and it's your time.

Mary

LBM

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:08:20 pm »
Hi,
My name is lauren and I am a 30 year old female who had a 3 cm acoustic neuroma resected on April 27th 2005 with Dr. Stieg and Dr. Selsnick. They work as a team and I am very happy I chose them. I live in Long Island and wanted to use someone in Manhattan. They are an excellent surgical team and so nice and compassionate. My only presenting symtoms were headaches. I had no hearing loss prior to surgery. They prepared me that there was an 85% chance of losing my hearing which I did but I was prepared for it. I felt as comfortable with them as I think I could have been under those extremely stressful experiences. I also had a consult at Mount Siani with Dr. Post who is supposed to be excellent, however he wanted to operate alone with a neuro-ologist on standby which is what Dr. Selesnick is. I was uncomfortable with that approach and from the research I had done I felt that the two person team, neurosurgeon and neuro-ologist was what I felt more comfortable with. I only have good things to say about Stieg and Selesnick and if you have any questions please feel free to let me know. I have been to hell and back and know how devestating the diagnosis is however I have grown and learned alot about it. I am a young physician myself and this whole experience has changed my life. Good luck to you and please let me know if I can be of any help
Lauren

bonehead

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 07:19:12 pm »
You can do a search through this board for additional NYC doctors.  Among those posts, you'll see my enthusiastic positive reference on Dr. Sisti and Dr. Wazen at Columbia Presbyterian.  Dr. Roland at NYU also comes highly recommended.
2.0 cm removed via retrosigmoid 4/7/2004
Dr. Sisti and Dr. Wazen
Columbia Presbyterian, NYC