Author Topic: Newbie 3-Months After Translab Removal  (Read 2692 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Newbie 3-Months After Translab Removal
« on: November 01, 2014, 03:34:24 pm »
Hi Comrades!  I have never participated in a forum before and like most people I have mixed emotions about participating.  I guess I think if I just act as if this isn't a big deal it will end, but after reading some of your posts I'm not as confident as I tried to be.

Today marks three months since my surgery and I wish I felt a lot better.  I'm okay with the loss of hearing, and I'm almost okay with the facial/throat paralysis, but the constant fullness, or pressure in my head and dizziness gets to me.  If I got anything from reading about your posts, it's to have patience.

QUESTION: Does anyone experience a long tear coming out of their eye, or an unusually watery nose?  My nose is more on the dry side than runny, but I'll have like a tiny stream of water fall out of my nose or eye. 

Anyway, I thank all of you for sharing your experience and I thank Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell and all of their nurses at the University of Utah.
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

michelej

Re: Newbie 3-Months After Translab Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 07:52:14 pm »
I had a translab for a 19 mm tumor back in July. I had no problems except my eye on the tumor side is dry, no tears at all. Sometimes it feels really crappy like there is sandpaper in it. I have found some lubricating ointment that makes it feel better but when I use it during the day my eye is really blurry. That sucks! My saliva is not as much as before either. Other than that I have no problems. I went back to work at four weeks as well as my regular stuff at home, mowing, etc. My facial weakness is much less than it was back then and it is not noticeable to anybody but me. It feels different and sort of like I had a facelift on that side. My eye on that side appears bigger. I had the implant for the BAHA and that was a piece of cake. I only took one dose of Tylenol after. I will get my BAHA processor in a couple of months and then I want to try to forget this whole stupid thing happened after the last three years. Good luck to you.!

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:30 pm »
Hi Michele:  Thanks for writing.  I'm so glad you were able to go back to work and do things like working in the garden.  I am very anxious to get back to that life, but it seems patience is the order of the day. 

What is BAHA?  Is the implant you're talking about the little gold weight they put in the eyelid to close it?  I think I may need that, but I was told it will be six months before my face MAY go back to normal so I'm not expecting any change until then.  If my facial nerves don't heal I guess I'll have to get used to my new look, but I would like my eye to close nonetheless.

And what's a BAHA processor?  These are new terms to me. 

I look forward to the day when we both can forget "...this whole stupid thing" as you put it.

Be well,
Michelle

2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

asliczniak

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:39:29 pm »
Hi, I am 3 weeks after my translab surgery, and I was told if I have any leakage coming out of my nose to immediately call the doctor. This is one of most common complication  after the surgery, and needs to be fixed.