Author Topic: Husband had translab surgery yesterday-questions about complications  (Read 4020 times)

ConcernedWifeWendy

My husband had his surgery on Thursday, October 30th.  Took 4 hours and the doctor said he believe he removed all the tumor and that the facial nerve is weak, but believes this is only temporary.  He was in ICU for 24 hours and is now in a regular room.  When he was in ICU they gave him 10mg of morphine every 2 hours and then later every 4 hours.  They switched him from morphine to norco and at first he was feeling good.  A few hours later the pain got worse - doubled in a matter of 2 or 3 hours.  This took place a few hours after being in regular room.  First they Headded tylenol to the norco - didn't work - then they doubled norco - didn't work. They they gave him 2mg of morphine.  He's still in a great deal of pain, but able to sleep again. My question(s). Is this normal? For those that had infections, is this how it starts, with pain? Nurse asked him if his whole head hurt or just the incision. He said just the incision and hurts all the way down his neck into his shoulder.  We can't remove the bandages because the doctor gave strict orders to not do that until tomorrow when he comes to see my husband.  At that time he will look at incision and then bandage him back up.  I don't think its a CSF leak because he has a drain in his back.  Is this common?  Is something going on?  I feel like if we catch "it" early it can be treated more effectively.  Very anxious and worried.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Husband had translab surgery yesterday-questions about complications
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 07:15:32 am »
Hi Wendy .....

I am not a doctor, but it seems like he would be running a fever if it is the start of an infection.

It is so difficult to watch a loved one be in pain, especially when it gets worse, not better.

For whatever reason (I do not know), some doctors are very cautious about ordering morphine.  It could be preference or other medical issues in particular patients.  Following my three brain surgeries (three different doctors), I had morphine for totally different lengths of time and in different ways.  That being said, it may be possible they just tried to stop the morphine too soon with your husband.

Another possibility is swelling around the incision, causing the pressure bandage to be very tight.

Hopefully today the doctor will be able to determine the cause and order a better pain protocol for him.

Thoughts and prayers.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

raji83

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 11:24:44 am »
I wish he gets better soon.
Lot of prayers

feline

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 05:30:12 pm »
My thoughts are with you but keep a close eye on him and keep us posted
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 06:43:45 pm »
He is very very immediately post op.   Every person varies in how much pain they have and where.  The head is held tight in a odd position and he may have some neck pain for a time.      Also what pain medicine works for a person varies also.    2 mg is a low dose of morphine.       I would not worry that something unusual is going on.    Finding the right pain med can take some doing and just having the body adjust to the surgery can take some time.       I would not think of any possible infection.  He is probably on a few doses of an antibiotic also.         The chances of a CSF leak is low also.     Hang in there and just make sure he does tell his dr and nurse of how he feels and what relief the does get from the meds he is given.      That dressing is tight and very uncomfortable which does not help any.                  It will get better in time.         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

michelej

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 07:43:48 pm »
I certainly hope he is doing better now. I had the translab also and only got Tylenol for pain. I really didn't have any except for my neck which was bent in a weird position probably for 8 hours during my surgery. Heat helped my neck and it finally felt better. Good luck.

clere

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »
I had translab last January, also had pain and was on demerol for quite a few days.  I did have a CSF leak that was taken care of with a lumbar drain.  I am wondering why he has a drain in his back?  As was stated in an earlier post, when you first posted he was quite early in the healing process. I hope he is doing much better now.