Author Topic: 7/12 nerve graft  (Read 5484 times)

ewchisek

7/12 nerve graft
« on: February 23, 2013, 02:49:29 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm almost three weeks post op and healing well. My tumor was wrapped around my facial nerve, which left me with left side facial paralysis, something really not expected! Anyways, for the last few weeks I have been reading every possible story on here. I'm just hoping to hear from those of you who have had the nerve graft. It sounds to me it doesn't really work. But my dr seems up think it'll work no problem? Is he just saying this to make me feel better? Is there something else I should be doing other than this? I'm so sad and really confused....

alabamajane

Re: 7/12 nerve graft
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 03:56:10 pm »
Hi ,,
So sorry to hear of your facial issue as I can relate totally,,, I also had issues during surgery involving facial nerve and had the 7/12 graft,, mine was done while I was still in hospital,, 4 days after my AN surgery which lasted about 12 hrs ,,,, the graft was only about 5 hrs as i remember,,,that was in Oct. 2011

I will say that  at this point, about 16mo out,, I do have much improvement from that day after surgery when I thought my life was over,,, as you say none of us goes into surgery expecting this outcome,, even though yes I knew it was a possibility,, it is still hard to handle,,,
Having said all that, let me tell you that it can get better ,, and I believe the graft is a good beginning ,, I have movement on that side, some smile, I do have an eyelid weight, which I was just on another post discussing with "KAYBO" who has had several surgeries to help her paralysis,,,

The nerves take from 12-18 mos to regenerate, if your Dr did not explain any of it ,, so it is not a quick fix but at about 6 mo I saw signs of movement and like I said more all the time,, I did not have any other procedures done and no formal retraining exercises,, I massaged my face and "worked" the muscles and nerve by placing my tongue in different areas of my mouth to move face,, I did not push myself too hard for movement early on as I am trying to avoid much synkinesis (sp?) in the eye area,,

There are some other surgeries like the T-3 that KAYBO and others have had to get cheek /smile movement,, but I am not familiar with it,, maybe KAYBO or others will reply with their experiences,,
Best of luck to you,, I know it is hard right now and very disappointing,, but it can get better with some additional surgery,, I have seen great improvements from those first few days in smile and ability to open my mouth and eye,, I have even been able to quit using a straw in every drink and don't bite my lip with every bite and can eat a sandwich ,,, all of which I could not do for the longest,,, so hang in there and concentrate on your recovery from the AN surgery and I know others will respond soon,,, we care and are here to help,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:40:45 pm »
Hi!

I know that it is devastating to not have your face work like you want it to but you are in THE VERY EARLT STAGES of recovery.  I would URGE you to PLEASE not do anything thing yet.  Most Dr's do not consider doing the 12/7 for at least a year (unless the 7th nerve has been severed - was this the case?) and I agree.  So many people get movement back well after that initial year.  I can not & will not live in the "what ifs" but I really wish that I would have waited longer than the year to see what would happen.  As Jane said, I have had a couple of different surgeries and would be more than happy to talk to you...even if you just want to chat with someone who has "been there"...LMK if you want to talk further!

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ewchisek

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:36:20 am »
Thanks for your responses! Yes, Kay, the nerve was cut, this is why he wants to do this procedure so soon?

lori67

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:23:12 am »
Hi E!

Got your message and sent you a response! 

Lori

PS to Phyl.....I'm baaaaack!   >:D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:51:08 am »
I had the 7-12 done at about 3 months post-op, my sergeon told me it would have limited effects but that it would ensure there continued to be some nerve stimulation in the area, a "babysitter" for the area to account for no other nerve stimulation in the area. If I remember corrected I found less droop after this procedure and yes could use my tongue to get some movement to my mouth.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)