Author Topic: SML (Scarlett's) updates  (Read 50629 times)

texsooner

Re: SML (Scarlett's) updates
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 06:40:42 am »
Rich, very happy to hear about Scarlett's successful surgery.  I know that's a big relief.

Prayers are with you guys for a great recovery. Thanks for the update.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 07:35:23 am »
Hi Rich,
What a relief it is over. I am so glad things went so well!
Sending healing vibes her way!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 07:50:07 am »
We can't thank you all enough for the prayer, wishes, and overall support.  Your the best :-*

I hope this works ;D

Here's Scarlett with The Magic Scarf and her sister Nadege.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:07:17 am by Rich56 »
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

moe

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 08:39:33 am »
Rich,
What great news! Another positive outcome :) Keep us posted. Prayers for a smooth and  uneventful recovery go to you and Scarlett.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 09:25:29 am »
Rich,

Thanks for sharing the great news!  What a relief for all of us to hear another good outcome!

Scarlett may not feel like smiling too much for the first few days, but I know that beautiful smile of hers will be itching to come out in no time!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 10:20:48 am »
Rich~
So glad to hear the good news of another successful surgery!!  Remember, your job is to be PATIENT (no matter what comes your way!) - sometimes we have a tendancy to be a bit grouchy or "not ourselves" after brain surgery.  Go figure!!  Give Scarlette a hug for us!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 10:30:01 am »
You're right, Ernie, we're having many great outcomes!  So glad to hear Scarlett is out and doing well...all things considered!  Thanks so much for posting the Scarf photo, Rich - I just love to see it as it's travelling around doing its magic!

Give Scarlett our best - look forward to hearing from her once she's up to it,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 03:55:59 pm »
Rich:

A slightly belated thanks for the update on Scarlett.  Her excellent surgical outcome is absolutely thrilling!  What a great run of successful AN surgeries we seem to be having.  I love it!  Must be the scarf:)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 04:22:33 pm »
Rich and Scarlett,
Even more belated than Jim but no less sincere.  So very happy for you that it is over and done with and that it went well.  Take care of yourselves!!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 05:12:16 pm »
Rich -

thanks for the wonderful update on Scarlett - and the great picture too!

Please keep us updated on her progress.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 09:43:47 pm »
I’m back…… ;D

Scarlett said to say Thank You to all of you for your prayers and good wishes.

She is coming along, but I think she will be in the hospital for at least a few more days.  Although she looks great, she is still very groggy, and sleeping most of the time.  The nurses are do their thing, do you know where you are, say your last name, ect. ect.  She also hasn’t eaten much at all because of the nausea, but the nurses are working that out with meds, one to ease the nausea so she can eat, so that the other one for the neck pain doesn’t make her sick.  The deck-a-dron (spelling?) seemed to ease the headache.

When my Father-in-law and I were leaving Dr. Lee was just walking in.  We got to thank him, and congratulate him.  He said the tumor was very large, and stuck pretty good, to both the bone and the nerves.  He had Scarlett do a few things that indicated to him that there was no paralysis.  Dr. Lee did say that she could have a delayed weakness, but that should not be permanent.  Scarlett and I had been confused as to who actually removed the tumor, Dr. Lee or Dr. Barker.  Turns out they both removed the tumor from their particular areas, ear vs. brain respectively.

I guess the plan tomorrow is for them to be able to get her up and moving so that they can evaluate her.

Again, thank you all,

Rich
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:46:11 pm by Rich56 »
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 10:55:58 pm »
I guess the plan tomorrow is for them to be able to get her up and moving so that they can evaluate her.

Oh I'm sure she will enjoy  that.  :D

It's only been a day or so, so I'm not surprised she is just sleeping. If she is sleeping while taking Decadron, she must be very sleepy! The temporary facial weakness is always possible, but it sounds like she is going to come through it in great shape. Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

suboo73

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 05:18:00 am »
Rich & Scarlett,

So glad to hear all is well in postie-land!  Congrats!
Now, time and patience will make things even better!

Continued thoughts, prayers and best wishes!
Thank you for the pic! AWESOME!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

joebloggs

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 06:34:54 am »
Hi Rich and Scarlett,

I'm a bit late coming to this thread, but just wanted to wish Scarlett all the best with her recovery, the hospital food and trying to get sleep in between nurses taking obs!  My AN was around the same size and cystic - I had my translab 9 days ago (I can hardly believe it was only 9 days ago!).  I don't know if this will help, but after the second day after surgery I wasn't physically sick anymore, although I still felt a bit nauseated.  I couldn't eat anything that the hospital dished up as it all smelt like cabbage to me and I had no appetite, but a friend bought in a bunch of really big juicy grapes and they were fantastic.  I knew after 4 days of not eating anything that I needed to change things so every time I had some water I ate two grapes and I think it helped.  They were just lovely and sweet and cold.  Also a cold face washer on my face felt nice in hospital.  I got my staples out today and I can tell you the time absolutely flew from operation day to now, so before you know it she'll be past the horrible bits!

cheers

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2009, 06:51:20 am »
Hi Rich and Scarlett,

I had nausea, but only immediately post-op in the recovery area before going to ICU.  I was lucky in that the only place my tumor was "sticky" was where the tumor and hearing nerve were attached to the bony structure of some part of the inner ear.  That's why they were unable to save my hearing.

I wasn't given the decadron in the hospital.  I suppose that depends on the extent of swelling post op.  I did have to start it a few days after being home, however.

For some reason, I was starving the morning after my surgery.  It was Friday, so my religion forbids meat during lent, but they served me up a nice meatless breakfast which I made quick work of.  I got up and walked that morning when they told me I could move to a regular room if I could walk.  That afternoon, everything on the menu had meat, so I asked for a tuna sandwich.  They brought me a 6" tuna sub from subway!  Fried fish was one of the regular selections for dinner on Friday, but it was soggy sitting in the middle of a bunch of watery broccoli.

Honestly, it sounds like Scarlett is coming along very well!  No facial weakness right out of surgery is a very positive sign!  I had one night at home where I had a delayed, weak smile on my AN side.  It scared me to death, but it was better the next day.  Maybe because I was so tired.

The important thing to realize is that we are all different.  It is NOT a race to see who gets home the fastest.  I fully expected to be in the hospital for 3 to 5 days.  Tampa General is a large crowded hospital, and there were no beds for me outside of ICU, so I HAD to escape.  From reading other Posties posts, I think it safe to say that the norm is that the first 2 or 3 days are spent groggy and with a feeling of "wow, what hit me?".  But that will soon pass and we will be congratulating you on your return to home in no time!

I will continue to pray for both of you (I know it wasn't easy on my wife with all the back and forth, plus the grumpy nerve they installed in place of my balance nerve :) ).  Thanks so much for keeping us updated on Scarletts progress!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.