Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 423257 times)

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #720 on: February 15, 2011, 11:39:07 am »
good for you, sara, on making it back after all the weather and sickness drama.

hope you made it to the gym, kay!

i need to run this morning. ok, morning has passed. i need to run before 3:00. i need to get off computer and go run.

it's getting nice here too; tomorrow i hope to bike and run.

have a great day!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #721 on: February 15, 2011, 11:56:03 am »
I did go to the gym yesterday and had a REALLY good workout...went this morning and didn't have much time so just did leg weights and core stuff.  I had to tutor at the elementary school this morning and since it was so nice I walked up there and back to get a little cardio in!  It is beautiful here today and supposed to be like this all week!  Love it!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #722 on: February 15, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »
Beautiful here also!  Played a tennis match this morning and was so nice to not be shaking like a leaf while trying to hit the ball! 

Did the 1/2 marathon this weekend in FL with my three friends- awesome weather and awesome event!  We did it last year and it was even better this year!  Over 10,000 participants between the full and 1/2 - huge breast cancer event, so LOTS of pink and crazy outfits!  Had a great time and though I said this would be my last one, we are already talking about next year's race...as some of you know, the training can be grueling, but what a payoff the actual event is - SO inspiring!  Many folks much older than me, many barely creeping along, but they finish it...just a privilege to be a part of it.

Now, a week off and then I want to do something different for awhile...haven't figured out what yet.  I know it will be hard to get going again, so I'll look here for my kick in the rear...

Keep moving everyone!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #723 on: February 15, 2011, 06:36:29 pm »
Two days in a row - woo hoo! Lower body workout today and I really feel it in my hamstrings and adductors. Good pain, though. Cardio again in the wee hours tomorrow.

Congrats on the half, Cindy.

Gotta run to a school board meeting. Have a great evening and an active tomorrow, everyone.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #724 on: February 15, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »
GREAT JOB !!! - good for you, cindy, on the half!!! i knew it was coming up, but didn't realize how soon. we would have given you a RAH RAH RAH beforehand. so glad you enjoyed it and it feels even more purposeful when it's for a good cause. and i'm glad the weather cooperated! boy, that makes a huge difference.

kay - i knew you'd feel better once you went. i'm like that everyday... whining... 'i don't wanna run!!!' then i go run and wonder why i put it off all day. i do this ALMOST EVERYDAY. why won't i learn? saturdays are different.. i just have it in my head that i'll be up at the crack of dawn and go for a long run.

sara, good for you too. i'm not doing weights, but because of you strength work i am keeping up doing my push ups, sit ups and 'the plank' thing.

i didn't get out the door by 3; i think it was almost 4. but i biked up to my mom's nursing home, hung out with her a bit, then went running at the nearby high school. i get really bored with the track so i ran the bleachers. then biked home. it wasn't a super long workout, maybe 45 minutes, but i enjoyed the biking.

cindy... something different... let us know what you come up with. how about a sprint triathlon? i would like to try one; i just would have to dog paddle the swimming part.

jan....how's the move??? that's exercise for sure, along with the snow shoveling cross training.

i hope those who are sick are feeling much better (jill) how did the wii thing go, soundy?
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #725 on: February 18, 2011, 08:36:09 am »
Thanks, it was especially special as it was the first 1/2 for one of the four of us who went.  She did great! 

Keri, I've heard about those sprint triathlons, too.  I'm with you, though, I'd have to dog paddle the swim part and I definitely do NOT like getting in water unless it's about 100 degrees outside :D  My training buddies want to just keep running/walking and just do some shorter races, but I'd like something entirely different.  We did the rowing a couple of years ago and that was great.  I'm thinking ice skating, fencing or horseback riding  ;D  I don't know...need to do some weights for sure, though.  May look into that program you're doing, Sara...

We took the week off, but must get back to it (?) on Mon!  You know, I talk like I'm quite the "athlete" - I'm not!  I never did any running or races til a couple of years ago (48 yrs) when I did my first 1/2 (coincidentally at the time my AN was diagnosed).  Have done four since then.  There was a 60 year old woman down there last weekend who was doing her very first marathon...full 26.2!  I only did the 13.1! So, believe me, anyone can do it...or anything else you put your mind to...maybe it's a 5k or maybe it's a bootcamp class or tap dance lessons...just get out and do something you enjoy!    (Am I preaching to the choir ;) )

Have a great weekend, all!

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #726 on: February 18, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
The weather has been great, I have stayed healthy, and had a full array of workouts this week. It was so long since my last weight workouts that my leg muscles got really sore, which also makes cardio really hard. But this too shall pass.

Keri, it still counts as weightlifting when you use your own body weight and it sounds like that is what you are doing.

Cindy, I really like the Body-for-LIFE program. See if your local library has a copy of Bill Phillips' book. It is also available very inexpensively at amazon.com through their aftermarket. I bought mine for a penny plus 3.99 s&h. There is also a website at bodyforlife.com with exercises, recipes and a support forum.

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend. I have a dinner date with my husband tomorrow night.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #727 on: February 19, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »
had a decent week of running and biking. supposed to do my long run today... have some tummy thing and feel... BLAH..... so i went back to bed.
good news is my son in the USAF is HOME - he hasn't been home in over a year. he only has until Thursday, but i'm not thinking about the 'goodbye' part of it yet.
have a great weekend!

keri
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #728 on: February 20, 2011, 07:35:43 am »
Oh Keri .....

That is wonderful for you to have your son home, even if only for a few days.  What a special time to enjoy!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #729 on: February 21, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »
Weather cooperated very nicely for the move this weekend - got a lot colder today.  Still a few lingering boxes to be moved - hopefully this week.

The 1/2 half of my new bed just arrived today, so after 2 nights of sleeping on a wooden floor I'm anxious not to do the same tonight.

Losing my internet connection for a days, but hope to be back up soon.  Not sure when I'll have time to post on the Forum - tons of boxes to unpack  :(

Moving kinda' sucks!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #730 on: February 21, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »
We'll be thinking about you, Jan. Take care not to overdo.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #731 on: February 21, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »
i agree, clarice... great to have scott home!

i agree, jan... moving.. yuck!!!

i've felt lousy a few days.. did a run / walk today. need to get back with it. will need some motivation from y'all soon... starting tomorrow.

keri
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #732 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:14 pm »
I won Wii competition ... they say they let me win but they were breathing harder than I was ...

down again with bronchial pneumonia ... everyone around me gets good old fashion colds and I get pneumonia out of it ...

I did lay in bed today on my side lifting my legs up and down thinking how crazy I probably looked and was glad it was just me and th cats at home ...then switched to laying on back but for what ever reason I can only lift mt right leg from back position ... worked out arms lifting glasses of clear liquids ... onion soup (ugh) , hot coffee , juice , water etc ... watched home improvement shows and dreamed of finishing my bathroom that has a refinished claw foot tub sitting in it but not hooked up ... would love a good soak ... exercised brain by watching Open Season 3 over and over because I lost interest in TV programming and didn't feel like walking to living room to get a different DVD ... and between it all I slept alot

now I have been asleep too much today and thinking about a benedryl to get me to go to sleep ... it will be 6:00 and time to get kids up before I know it ...as much as I have slept today I am still tired
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #733 on: February 23, 2011, 12:12:47 am »
Long & busy day at work so will keep this short then off to bed.

Keri - Your son is home, take a workout break and enjoy the time with him!  Jill 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #734 on: February 24, 2011, 09:59:13 pm »
son gone... next week he deploys to afghanistan... not thinking about that yet.

finally feel better with the stomach thing. need to get back with it... here are my short term goals..
tomorrow (friday) MORNING (not at6pm) need to do an easy run maybe run/walk for just 2 - 3 miles.
saturday.. have to get back into the 'long run'  (skipped last weekend; can't skip too many or messes up marathon training). i need to do 17.
following sat i do 20 (ugh) then i can be in 'taper' mode until marathon mar 26.

for now, need to concentrate on the run tomorrow morning and sat morning.
would like to bike some tomorrow, but we have another day of high wind. lots of those lately.

what are everyone's weekend workout plans?? hope weather is getting better for everyone...

keri
My head feels weird!!