Author Topic: Update on Lilan  (Read 20663 times)

Vivian B.

Re: Update on Lilan
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2009, 06:08:26 pm »
Hi Lilan,

I could have used a laugh today and you gave me one. I am glad you are doing o.k. and have a sense of humour about it. Keep up the good spirits.

Vivian

CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Lilan

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2009, 06:58:14 pm »
Wow, it's 8 weeks tomorrow for me since my surgery! Time has just flown.

My energy level has increased a lot in recent weeks. I returned to work Monday and have been leaving the office around 3, so it's almost a full day and going amazingly well!

I'd say I'm about 80% of where I want to be overall -- hoping there are still some subtle improvements to come to make up most of the rest of that! -- but with working, driving, dog-walking -- all in all I feel like I'm back to "normal" activities and feeling really good!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2009, 07:46:19 pm »
This summer has been like two weeks long. It's ridiculous how fast it flies by.

Good to hear that you are doing better and better. Keep going!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2009, 08:06:06 pm »
Great to hear from you and hear you're doing well!  Back to work and all!  Good for you!

Keep in touch,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009, 08:35:16 pm »
8 weeks ! Wow!
What ever happened to the loud motorcycle on your street? (was that you??) If it was someone else, blame it on my brain surgery.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Lilan

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2009, 06:50:07 am »
Steve, yes, it has flown by! I believe you will be in Chi next week; if so, we will likely meet then at some point!

Cindyj: Thanks!

Keri: Yes, it was me with the menacing motorcycle noise! For some magical reason, he found a new favorite parking place and that totally solved the problem. Where he was before was right outside my bedroom window, which angles against my neighbor's house and creates a noise canyon/echo chamber! After a couple weeks of it (when I was complaining on here  ;) ), he banded forces with another cyclist and they almost always park "together" on the corner, across the street -- it's just far enough away that I barely hear it anymore. Yay!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

NL

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2009, 09:36:02 pm »
Eight weeks and back to work! So glad to hear you're doing well!

Hope you have fun hanging out with lots of forumites next week! (And take some pics!)  ;D

Take care and keep up the great recovery!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2009, 10:26:07 am »
Lilan ~

Congratulations on your splendid recovery!  If you're this good after only 8 weeks, imagine how you'll be in a few more months!  I'm 3 years out and my AN experience (symptoms, tests, surgery, radiation, recuperation) seems like something that I dreamed.  My balance isn't 100% but the 80-85% that I have is fine.  I'm not planning to do any tightrope walking in the near future.  My stamina isn't what it was but, frankly, nothing is when you get to be my age.  I can do everything I really want to do and enjoy my life.  I can tell you have the same attitude and with your excellent recovery, you should.  Thanks for keeping us updated.  May you only move onward and upward.  :) 

I'm pleased to learn that the motorcycle guy that was tormenting you with his raucous, early-morning start-ups found a new parking place and your problem was taken care of without a lot of acrimony. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lilan

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 05:49:32 pm »
A belated thanks to Jim and Nancy, too!  :)

I am just updating my thread for posterity to report that at 11 weeks out tomorrow, I now feel better than I did before the surgery. Wayyy less dizzy, and less fatigued as well. Not perfect, quite -- but that thought just keeps springing to mind: I feel better than I have the whole last year! Lots more energy for sure.

Probably some of that is having the decision-making done, the surgery over, and all that stress off my back! But it's amazing how fast we heal!

I am having my two-month re-evaluation at balance therapy next week and expect to "graduate." I went bowling at a rock-and-roll bowling alley where they turn out the lights and run a disco ball -- very loud music, too -- and broke 100 each game  ;D  -- that was the best balance exercise I've had since surgery I think! (And for sure the most fun.)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »
Lilan .....

You are one great success story!!!  Thanks for the terrific update.  You bring hope to many others out there in the decision-making process!

I cannot imagine bowling successfully   ::)  (unless Wii bowling counts!), especially with the lights out and a disco ball flashing, to say nothing of the loud music.  WOW!

BTW, it was terrific being with you at the symposium.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009, 08:19:24 am »
And don't forget you had a two-fer surgery! Two for the price (or cause) of one!
I'm so happy for you!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lilan

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009, 10:37:54 am »
Clarice, thanks! Was a pleasure meeting you and your hub and I hope you enjoyed your trip!

Moe, hee! The bills would not indicate it was 2-for-1 pricewise, LOL. But I know what you mean.  :D  My poor head, violated twice in one day from all different directions!

Kaybo

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009, 01:34:59 pm »
Lilan~

HEY!  Just thought that I should let you know that I wore my hair CURLY - didn't straighten it - & didn't just throw it back in a high pony today!!  Thought you would want to know i was a "curly girly" too!!   ;D

K   ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lilan

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2009, 09:56:49 pm »
Time files yet more -- I'm almost 5 months past surgery and today was my birthday!

It was definitely different having a birthday right post-brain-surgery. Less worrying about numbers, more "happy to be alive to see another one!"  :D

Kaybo

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »
HAPPY DAY, sweet friend!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!