Author Topic: What were your early symptoms?  (Read 20593 times)

Stand

What were your early symptoms?
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:48:56 pm »
Thank you guys for all being so kind as to responding to my messages on here when I have not been diagnosed with anything.  As stated in earlier posts, I just have a lot of symptoms of it and my ENT is sending me for an MRI.  But did any of you have one-sided pain?  A for instance, the right side of my face has been having pain all year.  It comes and goes.  But it will originate on my cheek bone and will radiate up to my eye (making it weak-feeling) and will then radiate to my right temple and right side of my forehead.  If it gets really bad, it goes to the back of my head.  My right cheek and especially cheek bone feels VERY numb.  A numbing throbbing sensation. 

HERE'S MY QUESTION:  For all of YOU GUYS, what were your symptoms before surgery?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: What were your early symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:11:12 pm »
Hi, Stand ~

To get right to it, my symptoms consisted of a very gradual unilateral hearing loss, steadily increasing imbalance, an intermittent 'stabbing' pain where the AN was (unknown to me at the time) and a loss of my sense of taste, resulting in a severely decreased appetite and eventual loss of over 30 pounds.  I did not experience facial numbness or headaches.  As you've learned by now, one patient's symptoms do not define the criteria for diagnosing an acoustic neuroma.  Your symptoms seem to be nerve-related but only the MRI scan will explain why this is happening.  Unscientific speculation will only serve to confuse you.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:12:49 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Stand

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 01:19:51 pm »
Thanks.  I like learning and this is all new.  So personal stories are interesting.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:31:52 pm »
...so are you just asking the "guys" - MALES??   ???

K   ???
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:25 pm »
Tinnitus, unilateral hearing loss, and mild headaches were my pre-surgery symptons. Eventual MRI showed a golf ball sized AN pressing against the brainstem, but all turned out pretty well for me. Good luck

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Stand

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 01:43:12 pm »
...so are you just asking the "guys" - MALES??   ???

K   ???

:)  No, that's just how I talk.  I meant ..... not what I'M going through but what you guys went through or are going through....   :)

epodjn

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 01:47:23 pm »
The first thing I noticed was my horrible balance. It developed over many years now that I look back. I thought it was just a sign of aging (I was 49 at the time) I notice that my balance was especially bad in the dark. I had tinnitus in my left ear and numb spots near my  mouth. When I brushed my teeth I made a huge mess and couldn't control it. Now I realize I was already at a HB2 before I was every diagnosed. I also had these funny headaches. I still have them. They aren't a normal headache but more of a sudden pain in an exacty spot that comes and goes. (right where the tumor was). All my symptoms were so gradual it took me years to go to a doctor because they all seemed kind of dumb at the time.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 02:02:54 pm »
My balance was increasingly bad.  Probably from the time I was 42 or so.  I had perfect hearing, no other problems.  I was at a routine doctor visit after one of many falls and she asked a bunch of questions and sent me for an MRI.  I had a 3.5 cm AN.  Balance problems have not improved at all since surgery and three years of PT.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 02:07:58 pm »
Early symptom were gradual loss of hearing. I was also having mild dizzy spells around the time of initial consult with an ENT, but did not associate those with the tumor. Similarly, there were other problems that had built up over the years that I had not recognized as symptomatic until well post-surgery from the large mass compressing my brain stem.

Seriously though, Jim is absolutely correct in his suggestion "Unscientific speculation will only serve to confuse you." Wait for the MRI as there could be other explanations.

Even if you do have tumor, no matter how many of our stories you read here, your journey will be different. It will be uniquely yours. I know the waiting is hard. It was hard for me between the diagnosis of the possibility of a tumor and the MRI. The four days after the MRI after being told there was tumor by the radiologist and the actual consult was bad. Waiting can just suck.

If reading this stuff helps with the waiting, then good. if not, maybe a good Stephen King book will take your mind off of things.

-Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Stand

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 02:17:46 pm »
Thanks, Tod.  :)  And I know I need to stop thinking about it.  But this year has been a bad year for me with my hearing loss and noise (and the pounding hearbeating in my ear).  I just wish time would scoot by a bit faster than it is.  Because I would like to know what is going on.

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »
Sudden partial hearing loss, hearing deteriorated rapidly over two months, but has since improved from GR 2 to GR 1
Balance had been deteriorating for a few years but didn't realise it until it was pointed out.
Feeling like you were a little hung over when you haven't had anything to drink for months. (I put this down to Balance problems)
Mild Tinnitus
Difficulty concentrating.
Eyes not moving quickly to the correct location after sudden head movement. (Most ANers have this and dont even notice until it is pointed out)

It was the hearing loss that sent me to the doctor, the rest I thought was part of growing old!

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:27:44 pm »
Started with headaches but just thought that was like everyone else, then sudden hearing loss in my left ear accompanied with tinnitus.  Just thought my ear was blocked and so did all the doctors as I had the flu the week I lost my hearing, coincidence that really affected my diagnosis.  Balance was affected next, was qute bad and by surgery time I could not walk unaided.  As soon as I had surgery my balance was back to almost normal no PT exercises needed.  The Nystagmus was always present and I was unable to do my job or drive. I was only 37 so I knew something was wrong as old age was not a factor, MRI showed a nice big tumour pushing on the brainstem. 
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

deheisel11

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »
My hearing loss started about ten years ago.  I didn't think much about it.  Then about one year ago, I was fine one week and then walking like a drunken sailor the next week.  I took tai chi to help with my balance.  It didn't improve much.  My internist said it was just my age.  Three months later my balance was worse.  I strongly expressed it was not my age.  Sent to a neurologist who ordered an MRI.  They found a 2.6 cm. AN.  Best wishes on the results of your MRI.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

Stand

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:29 pm »
Thanks for that.  I've finally learned to relax.  I think it was a previous comment of "read a Stephen King novel".  I realized that I was spending too much time fretting of a "what if".  I think it was my doctor's comment of, "We just need to rule out, or in this case, rule in" that sent me worrying.  I wasn't at first but as time went by, I really started to fret.  But in regards to hearing loss I can certainly understand where you're coming from.  I lost my hearing in my right ear ten years ago gradually.  I was a receptionist at the time and I remember just thinking, "What is wrong with this stupid phone!"  So anyway.  I'm finally not going to fret.  Hopefully everything is just.....what it is....and not a tumor.  Thanks for humoring me, guys!

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 07:10:15 am »
oddly enough, i didnt have any symptoms at all. I hit my head and went to the ER for stiches. They did a CT-scan there and noticed "something odd" and the rest is history.

A week later I was diagnosed with a 3.5cm AN compressing my brain stem. I really hadn't ever noticed a single symptom.